Salon Geek not what it used to be

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first joined, I was in college, and was comfortable to ask questions, but as other people have said, recently I felt like I was being talked down to, instead of being helped.
So I'm not asking questions as much any more. I have recently begun to only stick to chit chat, and not bother giving help/option to the nail & skin forums.

Plus a lot of threads go off the main conversation... Just as an example, if the conversation was about food shopping or whatever, the conversation turns into about bloody dog food making little ruffles sick and that 1 odd conversation goes for 3 pages, unnecessarily!! Am I the only one seeing this?!

Last edited:
I would have sunk without trace years ago, without the help and knowledge so readily availabe on Salongeek. I have had a lot to be thankful to it for in the past. My interest is nails, however, and since the advent of shellac/gelish etc etc it hasn't been the same. Times change and it was largely acrylic/gel enhancements related prior to them, which I preferred, but purely from my own point of view I do agree. I genuinely do appreciate that for the many who have a vested interest in them, they depend on the help and advice regarding these newer products.

I would still chime in now and again, if I think I've something helpful/useful to contribute but it's not that often these days. Goodness help you if you don't provide the type of response some want on their threads and perhaps they'd like to clarify their position from the outset in as much as they only want contributions which constitute unequivocal agreement/accord with their opinions/beliefs? There have been threads which appear to be a baiting exercise from the outset, as though they've only posted because they fancy a verbal scrap!

Thankfully, there are still some great people on the site, though, and there's often a bit of light hearted banter on the 'Chitchat' forum. xx :biggrin:

Even with the nastiness, no where is more volatile than the nail team!!!

I agree SG has a shelf life, for me the end is near and I don't think I will be around much anymore. I really valued all the advice I got here when I first started out I wouldn't be where I am today without it. But it's a victim of it's own success for me, as thanks to salon geek I'm too busy with my own business and career to actually come on here anymore! I've made lots of friendships here I hope will last a long time.

Ive only been here since 2011 but things have changed massively. Alot of the geeks that used to post have vanished and a new breed of geeks have risen.

The majority of the posts always descend in the same way now. Its not what it used to be. I don't post very often but when I do I get my head bitten off. If people don't like advice then they shouldn't post in the first place. You then get jumped on for giving a difference of opinion. Its a hair, beauty and nails forum not a place for people come and take the mick out of each other and bring threads down.

Its quite sad what it has come to be but I doubt I will be on much longer and I know a few other geeks who won't be coming back due to the attitude of people on here which is a shame as it used to be a lovely place to ask advice.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think the whole industry has changed not just forums. The Nail Team is Gemma Lamberts business page and she allows nail questions on there. It is not a forum and people abuse it, but that's people in this industry these days. Many people go on forums to ask for advice or peoples opinions and forums sometimes now seem to be being used to call each other or other therapists or products or businesses.

Persianista. .. In a lighthearted way this is dedicated back to you now..

*Shrieking*.. Let it go. ...... Let it go. ....;)..

Dinosaurs ruled the world ...didn't you know. :)

Our disagreements back then were never just one sided... but I don't hold grudges.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I fail to see how this forum is taken so seriously by some, considering the 'business' advice that is given. It's absolutely shocking. I'd be bankrupt and shut down within a week if I believed everything (in fact 85% of anything) that was written on here. What some class as rude, others don't. It's how an individual reads the comment and how personally they take it. I'm probably the one with dinosaur skin here, say what you like about me.

Last edited:
If you can't handle Kooks, loons, know it alls, the victims, the queen Bee, bad punctuation and terrible advice - then the Internet is not the place for you :)

As for this thread- it runs the risk of becoming "one of those threads" you all seem to despise so much.

One small thing seems to be lacking a lot of the time! "Respect" not much to ask 😊xx

Salongeek is essentially a large group of people and as that group evolves, so will the boards. The best thing I can suggest is to say, if you want to see things look differently post about topics you want to discuss, encourage others to do the same and reply to their topics. The mods won't delete anything that doesn't break the rules but it will dilute what you don't want to see, so make some noise!

2012 I was on another nail forum, I better not mention the name of it.. but it seemed to have about 3 members, one of which was the dominant one answering all the questions, and she seemed good I have to admit, but it was very blinkered, and rather dull because there was hardly anyone on it.

Then I came across sg, and was exciting because it was so diverse, with different forums, I'm talking nails, groups, I.e nail art, biosculpture, nsi etc etc. And thousands of members.

If I search for a problem, it either doesn't exists, or about 1 person has answered it badly. My problems are advanced if I have them.

So this site it clearly for the beginners, and perhaps I'm a bitter old bag, because I DON'T HALF WISH I FOUND THIS SITE WHEN I STARTED OUT Years ago. Because I STRUGGLED. Really struggled, and this site would have been brilliant.

If I put a problem up, nobody can answer it, so I find it disappointing, and I won't read the professional threads now because I can't stand the tone, the bitchy ness, and if I answer a problem, then I get either ignored or mud thrown at me, so I shan't bother, it's such a shame.

I would say it's useful for reading up on new products, but I can't even say that, because there's different views, so I'm still none the wiser.

Nail critiques can be good, and probably a few other sections, that's the best I can say honestly.

So I stick with chit chat, and make friends. weirdly those on chit chat seem to want to shield from the fierceness of the other threads. And it's the best I can get out of sg !!!

As for this thread- it runs the risk of becoming "one of those threads" you all seem to despise so much.

This thread is designed to target a few of 'us'.. Best of luck. ..Sadly with the risk of sounding extremely rude. ..I couldn't care less. I'm just as tired of reading the same replies from the same people who shout everyone down because they seem to know best. .. I'd have no problem in a classroom with anyone who has worked with electrical facials regardless if they have studied 25 years more than me.

This probably sounds aggressive to most reading it but flowering it all up isn't my style.

Now where's my dinner.... That's important.

The way I see it is that it isn't real life, I am not going to cry about something that someone said about me on the Internet, especially people I don't know. Yes I got miffed when a certain (now banned) geek was spouting her venom, but I wasn't hurt or upset I was just annoyed that such bigoted views were being aired on a professional forum without being kept in check. In my opinion the second she said that gay sex was disgusting and immoral she should have been banned. We are surly not wanting to have that sort of thing on a pro forum.
I answer questions in pro forum, sometimes people are thankful and other times they are not but so what? Like in the chit chat- sometimes it is hard ti break the clique but that is life- it wont stop me posting. Lol.

I became close to a group of hairdressers on FB and I was sad when that all went a bit wrong but that was because I actually felt like I knew them, they were not characters behind a screen.

SG will always evolve as people come and go and the dynamics change within that. I take what I need from it and also try and give something back now that I feel able to (sometimes :wink2:)

There are times when no tone can be read in posts, as I have often posted when tired and havn't got the mental energy for anything else but to just type minimal words. But, there are also times when it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see the venom oozing from some people when they post. Dande put this so much more eloquently than me the other day!

There is such a broad spectrum of experience on here and it's a shame that those with the most experience are feeling like there's not much point. I would love to see everyone putting their energy into using their knowledge to contribute where they could. Imagine how much better this site could be if everyone did this.

2012 I was on another nail forum, I better not mention the name of it.. but it seemed to have about 3 members, one of which was the dominant one answering all the questions, and she seemed good I have to admit, but it was very blinkered, and rather dull because there was hardly anyone on it.

Then I came across sg, and was exciting because it was so diverse, with different forums, I'm talking nails, groups, I.e nail art, biosculpture, nsi etc etc. And thousands of members.

If I search for a problem, it either doesn't exists, or about 1 person has answered it badly. My problems are advanced if I have them.

So this site it clearly for the beginners, and perhaps I'm a bitter old bag, because I DON'T HALF WISH I FOUND THIS SITE WHEN I STARTED OUT Years ago. Because I STRUGGLED. Really struggled, and this site would have been brilliant.

If I put a problem up, nobody can answer it, so I find it disappointing, and I won't read the professional threads now because I can't stand the tone, the bitchy ness, and if I answer a problem, then I get either ignored or mud thrown at me, so I shan't bother, it's such a shame.

I would say it's useful for reading up on new products, but I can't even say that, because there's different views, so I'm still none the wiser.

Nail critiques can be good, and probably a few other sections, that's the best I can say honestly.

So I stick with chit chat, and make friends. weirdly those on chit chat seem to want to shield from the fierceness of the other threads. And it's the best I can get out of sg !!!

I agree, Winnie. I was extremely fortunate in that I came across SG very early on, when a real novice. It saved the day for me and still does at times! One example, even recently - I spent years trying to find a brush that was suitable for really fine lines, not to mention the paints to go with it. Finally found what was right for me and not that long ago. Always useful info to be had!

As Adam asked ' what can be done ?' I think the tone has to change, it has to be kinder, polite, and the op of a new thread needs to answer the answers :lol: also I have to say that some educators need to change thier tone too, as some come over aggressive, and that really does not set a good example.

It's a good site with good range of departments and sections, but people won't want to use it if it's nasty.

It's quite simple; there is a difference between offering advice in a friendly way and being condescending to someone because they don't know something.

For me, I find the nail team and the harmony technical page much more helpful. I wasn't aware people shouldn't be asking questions on the nail team but if Genma herself is content to allow this and even provides answers on questions, that's good enough for me.

It's a sorry state of affairs that a forum that is for discussion, showing your work and offering/receiving advice is full of people too nervous to comment and ask for help for fear of being shot down. I still try to help my fellow Gelishers but other than that, I daren't post anything else.

💕💅 Keep calm and make 'em Gelish 💅💕

As Adam asked ' what can be done ?' I think the tone has to change, it has to be kinder, polite, and the op of a new thread needs to answer the answers :lol: also I have to say that some educators need to change thier tone too, as some come over aggressive, and that really does not set a good example.

It's a good site with good range of departments and sections, but people won't want to use it if it's nasty.

Define aggressive and passionate on an open forum with no tone. It's always going to be personal to the individual on the receiving end. Everyone slated geeg for being direct, blunt and rude. I never found her rude at all. .. She got to the point quickly but I understand that style of directness. . Many don't. These forums are not for the weak minded. . If you can't take constructive criticism then don't post pictures asking for advice. .. Some will say 'that's bad' and the reasons why. .. the poster then shouts 'bully' or 'you're being rude'....

Last edited:
It's quite simple; there is a difference between offering advice in a friendly way and being condescending to someone because they don't know something.

For me, I find the nail team and the harmony technical page much more helpful. I wasn't aware people shouldn't be asking questions on the nail team but if Genma herself is content to allow this and even provides answers on questions, that's good enough for me.

It's a sorry state of affairs that a forum that is for discussion, showing your work and offering/receiving advice is full of people too nervous to comment and ask for help for fear of being shot down. I still try to help my fellow Gelishers but other than that, I daren't post anything else.

💕💅 Keep calm and make 'em Gelish 💅💕

Ummm.....nice to meet you, haven't come across you before the last couple of days but I'm sorry I'll have to admit, you come across as quite scary, you might want to tone it down so you're not putting more timid geeks off? :hug:

Ummm.....nice to meet you, haven't come across you before the last couple of days but I'm sorry I'll have to admit, you come across as quite scary, you might want to tone it down so you're not putting more timid geeks off? :hug:

I have to agree, I found her aggressive yesterday in her post.
Am not saying that to be nasty- am trying to show that sometimes people sound like they are being "off" when they are not :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back