Satisfying a client regardless?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam81

Reaction score
I had a client in today who wanted Gelish over existing acrylics. She asked for good gossip then decided she wanted gold glitter on the tips to make them more 'blingy'. I tried to persuade her to have a red glitter fade instead to make them more sparkly but she insisted so I did it. In my opinion they were gaudy and ugly. I don't like sending someone away with something I'm not happy with but she seemed pleased. I don't like the thought of her telling people i did them! Should I have put my foot down and refused or is it all just a matter of taste?

I try talk clients into something that I think will look good that way I get right into it. I'm lucky that majority of my clients have the same taste as me ad just say 'whatever you think' if it comes to something that I don't think will work I will tell them and they usually understand. If a client wanted me to do something that I really didn't like the design of I think I would end up doing it if I couldn't change their mind. HTH xx

It is what the client wanted and she was happy, I don't see a problem.

We sit behind our tables to satisfy the clients' wishes, not our own.

How would you like to go into a shop and choose a dress only to have the shop assistant tell you that the dress looked tacky and was therefore in effect, telling you your taste was crappola?

What the client chose was a matter of taste ... Her taste. It was not a situation where your advice was called for regarding a style say, or not suiting her nail shape or the length being inappropriate for her activities etc.

We can advise all we want regarding length, shape, colour, but in the end, if the client requests something ... You shouldn't refuse to do it. I personally dislike 99% of the nail art I see and I think most of it looks tacky or overdone. I wouldn't wear glitter on my Ingres if you paid me to. ... But I still do it if it's requested.

Thanks everyone. I felt like I did the right thing in doing as she asked but I suppose I have to be more accepting that everyone's taste is different! I wasn't proud of them and that's not a good feeling. Each to their own I guess!

Thanks everyone. I felt like I did the right thing in doing as she asked but I suppose I have to be more accepting that everyone's taste is different! I wasn't proud of them and that's not a good feeling. Each to their own I guess!
Indeed! And you do have to just be neutral about it, I've done some for clients and all I thought is 'I personally wouldn't have that, but if your happy, i'm happy' We all have different tastes and at the end of the day she is 'buying' her nails, to suit her tastes. :)

I had a lady come into the salon I used to work for in her 70s very able good for her age lovely lady but the kind that will tell you how to do your job interupt everything and ask you questions about everything very unnessisary if you know what I mean.The lady wanted pink and whites fantastic I thought until she started telling me how she wanted them:eek::eek::eek:.

So she said she wanted them quite short "fine" and she wanted the White right down and when I say that she wanted 3 quarters White and a quater pink.I gave my opinion and said that they would not look natural and I wouldn't normally do them like this and was quite honest and said they wouldn't look nice.The lady said you may not like them but I do which she's right it's not up to me.Then she said she wanted them really thick I said what do you mean and she said I want them thick not like yours :eek:.Then she wanted them square then said sqoval so I did it then she said they were to round at the edges lol.

I did what she asked they were horrendous like when your practicing at college lol but she loved them was very happy and was a good loyal client but they were disgusting and I did tell her to make sure she told people that is how she wanted them done and she completely agreed and said she would lol.x

If it makes you feel better, I feel the same way sometimes... I try to resist the urge to say certain things about color combos, glitter combos etc..but sometimes I do a color combo that I really don't like and don't feel proud of at all but my client loves it. I just have to also remember that my taste is not always going to suit my client and my client's taste won't always suit me. I think it's normal though to feel the way you are about it.

I'm so glad it's not only me that feels this way! I just wish everyone would do as I say haha!

I have one client who wants them doing thick 'like in the chinese shop' and over long...

I draw a line. I do my own version!

I also have one client who insists on a flat smile line. Like almost straight across with a very slight curve. And lots of white. I'm the home of a super smiley smile line, I adore them, so it's well out of my comfort zone. I do them for her, it's strangely enjoyable, and they look reasonable as her nail beds are a good size.

Each to their own! Xx

Latest posts

Back