Scary client!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lipstick Kisses

Reaction score
I have a spray tan client who I've done a few times but her mum is really off putting! The first time as o got there the girl apologised and said 'don't worry about my mum shes a bit strange' then as I was setting up her mum came in and asked if she could book a tan, and when i didn't immediately reply she snapped 'I'm talking to you! ' at me! I said I'd book her In after I'd sprayed her daughter and she stalked off then heard huge crashes from another room and this time her daughter asked her to get another £5 out for her to pay me and when she got back she had no cash but fags and a subway! She then asked again to book in but immediately left so I tried to book with her daughter and have her booked in for next tuesday but I'm terrified about it! She's snappy and abrupt and seems out of it I don't know if she's drunk or has other issues but I'm not feeling comfortable to be alone with her! What should I do? Any advice? Help me!!!

If it was me I'd go act like I would with my other clients ( professional ) if she starts to be rude , snappy ect I'd simply ask her not too speak to me like that , I'd try and keep chit chat going , but if you feel really uncomfortable I probably wouldn't go but it's one of those she may be ok , it's hard but I'd do what I felt comfortable with x

Don't go! You don't need the worry and stress. It will be difficult if her daughter wants another appt, but worry about that then.

Should I call and cancel? What should I say as to the reason? Her daughter is a new client so I won't be losing a long term client if there is problems but her daughter is lovely. I just don't feel comfortable going but don't know how to get out it now!

Should I call and cancel? What should I say as to the reason? Her daughter is a new client so I won't be losing a long term client if there is problems but her daughter is lovely. I just don't feel comfortable going but don't know how to get out it now!

Cancel I'd say I'm ill and say the only appointment next available is start of June or something like that I don't think I'm being much help but that's all I could come up with at the moment which doesn't seem like you have the problem with her if you know what I mean x

I find some people can first come off rude but don't mean it. She may have something wrong with her mentally or have no social skills. The more you speak to people the more you get how to take them.

I wouldn't get yourself worked up about it. Go as you would for any other client an if she does act up take the money and smile!

It's two new clients at the end of the day!

I would cancel my darling, as already said, you just don't need the stress. You don't know this woman or what her problems are and you shouldn't put yourself in harms way, especially when you are in their home!

Explain to the daughter that you are not comfortable, she will know as she told you her mum was odd. Maybe she can organise it at a friend's house?

I was mobile for about 10 years and never went back anywhere that I didn't feel totally comfortable and welcome. :)

She has now cancelled and asked for the Tuesday after instead, I may say I'm fully booked that day and see if she rebooks, Im suspecting she may cancel a lot as she doesn't seem reliable or stable so I think I will avoid this client. I feel bad as I will lose the daughter as well (they live together so can't do one and not the other) but her mum seems like the sort who will be more hassle than she's worth and I doubt she will look after her nails or tan, and will blame me for the outcome. Just feel bad snubbing thier custom!

She has now cancelled and asked for the Tuesday after instead, I may say I'm fully booked that day and see if she rebooks, Im suspecting she may cancel a lot as she doesn't seem reliable or stable so I think I will avoid this client. I feel bad as I will lose the daughter as well (they live together so can't do one and not the other) but her mum seems like the sort who will be more hassle than she's worth and I doubt she will look after her nails or tan, and will blame me for the outcome. Just feel bad snubbing thier custom!

Hiya,

could you not do them together, seeing as they live together?
If it were me, I'd have a little chat with the daughter, as like you say, she sounds nice and reasonable, and I'm sure she would understand, especially as she warned you about her mum!

I would say something like this; 'Your mum has wanted to book an appointment with me for a spray tan, but, I'm not completely comfortable spray tanning your mum on her own....I would be more than happy to if you were there, so I was wondering if you could perhaps book your appointments for the same time?'

I think this would be the best kind of situation for all of you!
You'd get two new (hopefully regular) clients, and they'd get to have their spray tans! Also, you'd only have to travel to them once, saving time and fuel! Sounds like a win win to me!

Anyway, just food for thought....if you really don't feel like you could cope or feel safe with this client, even if her daughter was present, then of course the right thing for you to do would be to not take her on.

Hope that helps! :biggrin:

Just explain to the daughter that you are not comfortable performing any treatments on her mum but you are more than happy doing her treatments. x

I think that's a bit harsh to text the client & say your uncomfortable doing treatments on her mum, if someone text me this about my mum I'd be offended & well I'd be after you! lol, I don't think that's the right thing to do, it's kind of awful to text the girl that about her mum actually...

Maybe you caught her mum on a bad day? we all have them, I can be a snappy cow at the best of times, not saying she is right for snapping at you as she doesn't know you so shouldn't speak to you like that & its not fair to speak to you like that i agree, but could you give her the benefit of the doubt this once, that's what I'd do, she doesn't seem like a maniac who wants to kill you from what I read on your post lol, but it's your choice if your uncomfortable I'd go with the oh sorry I'm fully booked... permanently scenario x she will get the message x

I think that's a bit harsh to text the client & say your uncomfortable doing treatments on her mum, if someone text me this about my mum I'd be offended & well I'd be after you! lol, I don't think that's the right thing to do, it's kind of awful to text the girl that about her mum actually...

Maybe you caught her mum on a bad day? we all have them, I can be a snappy cow at the best of times, not saying she is right for snapping at you as she doesn't know you so shouldn't speak to you like that & its not fair to speak to you like that i agree, but could you give her the benefit of the doubt this once, that's what I'd do, she doesn't seem like a maniac who wants to kill you from what I read on your post lol, but it's your choice if your uncomfortable I'd go with the oh sorry I'm fully booked... permanently scenario x she will get the message x

As long as Lipstick Kisses doesn’t give the reasons why is not comfortable around this client’s mum I dont think is offensive.

As long as Lipstick Kisses doesn’t give the reasons why is not comfortable around this client’s mum I dont think is offensive.

Well there's obviously a reason why she's uncomfortable & surely if someone said it about your mum you'd want to know the reason right? or is it just me? x

I don't think I could tell her I didn't want to do her mum as it might offend her. If it was just for a spray tan I wouldn't mind as physical contact is minimal and it only takes 20 mins but she wants her nails done too and that takes much longer and involves her having to sit still and me touch her etc and don't want to agitate her as she seems a bit unstable. I've said I'm fully booked and she's not replied so hopefully her mum has moved on an changed her mind but I feel awful snubbing her mum when the daughter is so friendly!

Yes I think you may be right lush lash. You can call your own family to people but the minute somebody says something negative about a member of my family that would be it!! Even if it was completely true I would find it hard not to defend. X

Well there's obviously a reason why she's uncomfortable & surely if someone said it about your mum you'd want to know the reason right? or is it just me? x

i agree with Lush-Lash. i would either cancel due to "sickness" or unforseen circumstances or take a deep breath, suck it up and go to the appointment. xxx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I am sure the daughter not going to ask why-not many people talk with a stranger the way this woman talked to OP

cancel yes. you don't need clients like that. at the end of the day you have to think of your safety and you are putting yourself in danger going into their home. Theres no way I would put up with that! you don't have to do them. :)

Ive had clients like that and I just push on and be sickly sweet to them. After a while they sort of realise that it doesnt matter how they behave, I will always be calm and happy and the majority settle down and turn into normal people lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I find some people can first come off rude but don't mean it. She may have something wrong with her mentally or have no social skills. The more you speak to people the more you get how to take them.

I wouldn't get yourself worked up about it. Go as you would for any other client an if she does act up take the money and smile!

It's two new clients at the end of the day!

I'd do exactly this! Every client is different and so what if she's rude, as long as she's not aggressive then you can deal with a few comments! If you still feel uncomfortable doing her again then deal with that when it comes to it! Some people have no people skills! I have clients in my salon like this all the time, but you just have to stay professional, smile, be chatty, do your job and then they can't say you've done anything wrong! I think the more comfortable she feel with you, the less she's snap! It's money in your hand at the end of it!

Latest posts

Back