sculpting - a dying trade?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleL

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im currently doing my VTCT nail technology course at college and my tutor mentioned that 'sculptured' nails (sorry i hope thats what there called?!) is a dying trade now that tips are avalible as there so much quicker and easier and clients tend to prefer them anyway, however she did say that 'sculptured' nails is slightly cheaper to product and its great if you can master sclupturing as its a good skill to have.

My question is: is sculpturing a dying trade and is it true that most clients would choose tips over sculpture nails?

Im alittle confused as i alway through 'sculpturing' was the way to go and i'd plan to further my skill by going on a course to learn 'sculpturing' after i had finished my VTCT course at college, but now im not too sure because my tutor saying its not very popular anymore?! is it a worth while skill to have? i personally feel that sculptured nails look so much nicer and more natural then tips...

Can anyone help me out and give me your opnions etc?

Laura x

Hi all,

Im currently doing my VTCT nail technology course at college and my tutor mentioned that 'sculptured' nails (sorry i hope thats what there called?!) is a dying trade now that tips are avalible as there so much quicker and easier and clients tend to prefer them anyway, however she did say that 'sculptured' nails is slightly cheaper to product and its great if you can master sclupturing as its a good skill to have.

My question is: is sculpturing a dying trade and is it true that most clients would choose tips over sculpture nails?

Im alittle confused as i alway through 'sculpturing' was the way to go and i'd plan to further my skill by going on a course to learn 'sculpturing' after i had finished my VTCT course at college, but now im not too sure because my tutor saying its not very popular anymore?! is it a worth while skill to have? i personally feel that sculptured nails look so much nicer and more natural then tips...

Can anyone help me out and give me your opnions etc?

Laura x

Not for me honey I sculpt more that I tip and overlay if you can sculpt you can do almost anything.

As a VTCT assessor and tutor I always demo sculptured nails to my class to let them see how it is done. If they wish to do sculpured at a later date I always advise them to go to one of the Big companys to learn how to do this.

Hope this helps:hug:

Last edited:
In my opinion yes it is a worthwhile skill to have as it really depends on the client. Some clients cannot keep tips on to save their lives, so by being able to offer an alternative you may find they got on better with them :)

I'm sure Geeg once said that they are called sculpted nails as aposed to sculpured nails.

I'm not sure if a client would prefer one to the other. As the nail technician is it our job to perform the service depending on what would suit the client best. xx

Maybe your tutor isn't proficient in sculpting herself so can't really teach you how to do it?

I think her statements are incorrect as tipping is not necessarily faster than sculpting...I can sculpt a full set of nails a lot faster than using tips and overlay.

Sculpting is cheaper to the technician as forms are a lot cheaper to buy than good quility tips.

Clients don't really mind whether they have tips or sculpts, they're not really educated in the different ways we have of producing enhancements....but 9 times outof 10, when they have experience a full set of sculptured nails, they won't go back to tip.

Sculpting is very versatile and can also be used to make quick repairs when the alternative may be to soak off the whole nail and start again.

I think both do have their place (although there are very few sculptors in this country because not many training establishments teach it at foundation level....and not many techs go beyond foundation level skills) in the industry and I would say that you need to be proficient in both methods, not just an either or.

HTH

Last edited:
Maybe your tutor isn't proficient in sculpting herself so can't really teach you how to do it?

I think her statements are incorrect as tipping is not necessarily faster than sculpting...I can sculpt a full set of nails a lot faster than using tips and overlay.

Sculpting is cheaper to the technician as forms are a lot cheaper to buy than good quility tips.

Clients don't really mind whether they have tips or sculpts, they're not really educated in the different ways we have of producing enhancements....but 9 times outof 10, when they have experience a full set of sculptured nails, they won't go back to tip.

Sculpting is very versatile and can also be used to make quick repairs when the alternative may be to soak off the whole nail and start again.

I think both do have their place (although there are very few sculptors in this country because not many training establishments teach it at foundation level....and not many techs go beyond foundation level skills) in the industry and I would say that you need to be proficient in both methods, not just an either or.

HTH

I couldn't have put it any better I total agree to be a good nail tech education is the key and the more the better.

I can scuplt faster than tip...I like having the option to do either. I have a lot of clients who dont like sculpts and a lot that wont have anything but sculpts so I think its worthwhile learning to do both well.:)

Cathie has said it all a dam site better then I could have:lol:

I have to say that I was shown sculpting on my Creative course and I think it is a great skill to have!

I will be going on to develop the technique further on more courses but at the moment, I would much rather sculpt as I think it is also stronger (in my experiance) and looks more natural.

It is definitely quicker as ou don't have to do the sixing and blending of tips either.

:)

I prefer to sculpt.

I wouldn't put it as a dying trade, but lets just say that every new client that I've ever had, and I've sculpted on has been bedazzled by the fact that I wasn't using a tip. Goes to show that obviously not that many people do it anymore.

One thing that also has to be remembered is that L&P / Gel is stronger than adhesive. So automatically if you're sculpting then the nail will be stronger. (providing it's sculpted correctly)

well i'm a year on from foundation and only last week paid for a 1-2-1 to help improve my ability to sculpt and then saw the poppit demo this week - and i can still see that there will be a place for both techniques and tip/overlay in my service menu.
hth

I don't think sculpting is a dying trade, I love sculpting and it's much faster to apply a form than it is to apply and blend tips.
My clients don't get a say whether they have tips or sculpts, I advise them on which I think would be better for them and they usually listen to me :wink2:

No way is sculpting a dying trade.
Perhaps your tutor can't sculpt? I know my VCTC tutor couldn't.
I much prefer sculpting to tipping.

Well I am much better at sculpting than I am at tipping. I virtually never tip and if it is best for my client then I encourage them to have sculpts.

Perhaps the comment is just your tutors personal preference. Perhaps she needs to visit several salons to realize that sculpting is definitely not a dying trade. Anything but! Direct her to this site and she will realize how many geeks love sculpting.

If you want to learn to sculpt, then I would say ...... go for it. Good luck.

I cant see sculpting being a dying trade. I am much more at ease sculpting and quicker especially on my own nails.

I know that in the whole of Bristol City there are only about 3 salons who create sculptured nails.

My view is that we on this site are a very tiny cross section of nail technicians in the UK...even smaller for other countries.... and I would still say that not many (out of the whole of the UK, not us Geeks) go beyond foundation level skills, which is why tipping is the norm for most salons:)

Last edited:
I teach VTCT Nail Technology and sculpting is not a 'requirement' for level 2 ( tip & overlay and NNO are) but I have taught all my students how to sculpt L&P and Gel. Some love it, some prefer tips but I still think it is down to the tutor to show students what is possible and try to 'go beyond' the minimum requirements. To me this will encourage them to continue their nail education either from college or a reputable product company

I think Cathie's right. Of all the active nail techs in the UK, very few sculpt (I went to various techs before I trained and none of them sculpted), although that doesnt mean its a dying trade. My thoughts on sculpting are:

Sculpting is not suitable for everyones nails, but its good to be able to offer this option. New nails bars are popping up everywhere, and I think that a part of remaining competitive is to be able to offer as many treatment options as possible.

Clients do not generally ask for sculpts because they dont know what they are. When I get clients in for a repair I usually sculpt, particularly if its just a chip from the free edge. When I'm sticking this strange looking thing on them they look worried and ask what I'm doing, then they are amazed at the end result, and will ask for sculpts next time. As a result of doing repairs in this way I now have 2 clients who only ever want sculpts, but they didnt even know that they existed to start with.

Sculpts are fantastic for clients whose nail size goes outside the standard size range of tips (provided they have some free edge for the form to fit under).

Personally, I find it easier to sculpt my own nails than tip.

But of all these things, I think the most important thing to remember about sculpts is that they are not superior or inferior to tipping, its just a different method. I would not let your tutors comments about it being a dying trade deter you from learning, I think that additional skills like sculpting are what sets good skilled techs aside from the rest

I enjoy sculpting. Long live sculpting!! :lol:

Hi there, I much prefer to scuplt nails, tips are good yes but don't forget some people have different nail beds and not all tips will fit all clients, what if they have a huge thumb that a number 1 wont fit? Plus only with sculpting do you really come into your own, you get your own style and get to practice your skill. I always find that tips look fake, hey but that might be because i'm not that good at doing them, plus when you first do a set of tips I always think that there is too much white and not enough nail bed. I have never had a person ask for tips, they always ask me what my opinion is cause don't forget we are the ones who did the training!

Love Jan x

Latest posts

Back