Sculpting - first attempt

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
After discussing comfort zones earlier today on a different thread I was thinking about sculpting as it's something I'm not overly confident about doing, I'm more confident with tips.
Took the bull by the horns tonight (so to speak) and did a full set of sculpts on myself for the first time.

The hardest part was fitting the forms one handed :rolleyes:
Used Brisa pink sculpting gel, one colour for the whole enhancement, then finished it off with a coloured gel, 'sophistication' by Light Elegance. Not oiled them at all !

The finished shape isn't uniform for all 5 nails, I was aiming for a soft square and some of them are more square than others, a few quick swipes of the file can fix that... apart from that I'm pretty pleased with the results but would like your opinions too please.

They look good. Like you said need a bit of a file. The pics were a bit dark to really get a good look.

Excellent - first time, and on yourself- it is so hard getting the forms on- I agree, but if you get good at sculpting you will love it, I personally think it is more natural looking and once you can do it well it saves time over sizing tips and blending, etc.
Keep up the good work!

hi sandy
I thinhk you should be happy with yourself. i think they look great.
Keep up the good work,(now i sound like a school teacher) LOL
Anne xx

In my opinion:

FABULOUS job! You took on two challenges in one go: sculpting (eeks, I so suck at it so far LOL) and sculpting on oneself (no easy feat!!)

Way to go girl!!!!! You aced it in my opinion.
Fabulous work!!!

:hug:

Hi,
I prefer sculpting to tips, and can do my left hand lovely but my right hand EEks, its awful. I think you have done an excellent job for your first time and on your self especially.
cheers
Rachel

I too get in a right old pickle trying to fit forms to myself. It's at time like these I waish I had three hands!!!:lol: For the last set of sculpts I did on myself I used Acra C forms.....found them alittle easier to fit.

Well done for stepping out of your comfort zone.

Very nice Sandi, especially for your first time and on yourself. Apex on your thumb is lovely and well placed. like you said any small imperfections can be sorted with a file. Keep it up and I think you will have it mastered soon enough. Go find yourself a willing model now

Wooo Hooo!!!
Well done for pushing yourself out of that comfort zone Sandi!
I think the nails look pretty darn good actually, :)
On a 'picky note' product seems to start a little further down in zone 3 on the pinkie but, hey still a nice neat set.
Its hilarious when you first try to get forms on your own fingers isnt it but, if you can master that, putting them on other peeps is plain sailing!

Well done, but as you already critiqued your own work, why didn't you make those few file swipes before taking the pictures? Very well done for first attempt.

Well done, but as you already critiqued your own work, why didn't you make those few file swipes before taking the pictures? Very well done for first attempt.
I'd already applied the coloured gel and to be honest it was late and I wanted my bed lol :o
I always critique my own work, sometimes it does my head in because I'm never completely 100% happy with my work, always trying to do better and improve.

Thanks for your comments guys, all taken onboard, now I need to find a couple of victims to practice on :wink2:

Hi Sandi....First time sculpts!!.....very nice.

I also agree with your own critique...and was going to ask the same question as Nailzoo!!.

I like the length and the shape ....will love the shape when you swipe that index finger!!.....The only other comment I have is that the way the light is hitting that pinkie the zone 1 looks a bit thick as if the apex is just a bit too high up on it.......unlike the thumb which has a beautiful apex placement....

but hey I think I am WAY too picky for your first attempt......Go Sculpt!!

A fabulous first attempt Sandi! Proud of you!:hug:

Good on ya mate for using yesterday as a kick up the butt and leaving your comfort zone :Grope:

I won't go over what already been said,just one question,and it's a question because i can't see very clearly.

The side view of the thumb,at the side wall is that some of the natural free edge i can see ?????

Again,could be the pic but there seems to be a slight indentation on the lower arch,it looks like it's where your natural free edge is.Could you clarify please.

:hug:

sculpting with gel! woooahhhh im still mastering gel with tips (although im getting there slowliy by wearing them myself rather then sticking to my comfort zone - L&P)
i think you critiqued your own work well - i wouldnt say anymore really. lovely colour its really pretty - where did you get the gels from.xx

I too have been sticking with my comfort zone, L&P, even though purchasing the creative nail forms. Think I'll get some family victims this weekend and do some sculpting... Thanks for that kick up the butt.:lol:

ooh these are beautiful Sandi!Love the shine!!!
Caren x x x

they look great Ilove sculpting with gel . can't really see too clearly but you might have gone a bit too close to the cuticle
well done:hug:

well done sandi:green:

For a first attempt they are spectacular.

You can see the tiny details that u need to remedy, easy done.

I love sculpting now, i MADE myself sculpt everyone that came in once i got my head around it.

Very rarely use tips now.

I find they feel 'lighter' too and its much easier to get an almond shape when sculpting than applying tips and trying to shape.

Keep up the good work babes - im loving it.

btw love the shorter length too.

Amb xx

The side view of the thumb,at the side wall is that some of the natural free edge i can see ?????
I think that's where I haven't applied enough of the coloured gel :o

Again,could be the pic but there seems to be a slight indentation on the lower arch,it looks like it's where your natural free edge is.Could you clarify please.
yep, I see it... I struggled like hell trying to get the forms on my thumbs, no idea why they were more difficult than the fingers. It shows up more in the pic than in 'the flesh' (thankfully lol).
One of my clients has just left, she'd managed to break 2 of her nails, being as she's been a client for quite a long time I asked her if she'd mind me sculpting the 2 broken nails, no charge for the practice, she said yes and the results were loads better on her than on me... the forms were a breeze to fit with 2 hands :D

Rachel... the gel I used was Brisa, then Light Elegance for the coloured gel.

This is definitely going to be my new challenge... thanks peeps for your encouragement :hug:

Latest posts

Back