Second attempt at silk wrap over french tip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilly T

Reaction score
After seeking some advice over yellowing resin and crystalised bubbles in the nail geek forum (excellent advice by the way geeks :) ), I have had two more attempts this morning on myself.

This is the result of the second attempt. The first one I decided to place a stress strip across zone 2 where it dips just behind the tip and the resin didn't soak in very well so you can see it. I tried to correct this by using a little more builder resin and got bubbles in zone 1. Serves me right.

Tried again on my thumb and with the exception of a few tiny little bubbles just behind the smile line (think they got trapped beneath the silk and couldn't get them out) I am fairly pleased with it.

I wasn't really focussing on lower arch, just upper arch and clarity with no bubbles and zone 3. What do you think?

http://www.salongeek.com/members/gi...ics++gels-picture8033-silk-wrap-top-view.html

http://www.salongeek.com/members/gi...cs++gels-picture8032-silk-wrap-side-view.html

Gilly, I think they came out pretty good, though I see what you mean about the bubbles. That's the only thing though. Otherwise, looks great.

Cat

Thanks very much Cat.

Unfortunately it didn't even last a day.. I broke a corner off the free edge this morning. Back to the drawing board :eek:

Oh no! Bummer! Can you fix it or is it pretty much a lost nail?

As they were white tips they are now pretty useless. Have been soaked off now.

Don't think I'll be using it for a full set of extensions in the real world anyway. Perhaps for overlays for strength or for a nail repair but I just don't see the point of them with tips.. they are just not strong enough at all.

Think I will be ok to pass my assessments for it at college though in December. I got over the problems I was having with some very good advice from the forum.

Thanks x

they dont look to bad at all babes, in regards to the air bubbles you need to make sure the silk is fully saturated before you activate it and also try not to touch the silk at all sos not to apply any oil off your fingers. hope that helps.

they dont look to bad at all babes, in regards to the air bubbles you need to make sure the silk is fully saturated before you activate it and also try not to touch the silk at all sos not to apply any oil off your fingers. hope that helps.

Thanks for that. Think that's what the problem was here about the silk not being saturated, plus I don't think the resin beneat it was completely cured so I think this caused bubbles beneath the silk too.

It's really hard trying to handle the silk without touching it but I've found a little technique with my tweezers and stork scissors so hopefully this will be ok in the future.

Thanks both for your help. Greatly apprecaited. x

On the stress strip try stippling the resin into the silk, also cut the stress strip in a semi oval so it fits snug into the step, that way no air is becoming trapped under the covered step.
I wrote a tutorial for french silk and resin application have a look at it, it just may help a tad , you can substitute the pink silk for natural silk. But it does look pretty with pink silk.. HTH xxx

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3300-pink-silk-french-tips.html

More excellent advice, thank you. :)

I have read your tutorial, it helped a lot.

Latest posts

Back