Shellac - crisp white smile lines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newatnails

Reaction score
Hi guys.,
Now i've only done 1 set of french with shellac on myself and I know it's not that easy to do smile lines., yet alone on yourself. However, I have a model coming on Thursday to have a french done in Shellac, and she already has a french shellac on from a lady at a local salon., and they do look fab. The whites are so crisp, that i'm abit worried., as I don't have anywhere near as much experience as the nail tech that has done her nails already! My lady is aware I am practising and i'm only charging her a model fee, but cause she's already had them done, and I must say the tech has done a fab job of them.

Is there any tips you can give me, to make the smile lines really crisp ? I have invested in a brisa gel no.6 CND brush., but when I try and tidy up I always take abit too much of the white away., and they still aren't really crisp., think I'm using too much of the brush.

So for those of you who do have to clean up or crisp the smile line with a brush afterwards, do you use the point of the brush ? The edge of the brush., or hold the brush flat (if you get what I mean)

Any advice would be a great help thankyou :lol:

I think it just takes practice really, silly as it sounds, I use the point of the brush, less is more to start with, you can always take more off afterwards, just keep practicing and you will get it perfect eventually x

I use a little square sable craft brush from hobby craft. I dip it in a bit of dsperse, dry it on a kitchen towel and use the side of the brush to clean it up. If I end up making a bit of a hash (has been known lol) I just swipe the smile line off and start again.... sometimes when you makes a pigs ear its better to remove and start again rather than to continue to faff! I also get clients to check their smile lines before they go in to the lamp, as much for me as them, as some prefer a slightly more curved or shallower line. once they are good to go, I cure.

hth xxx

try and put you whites on as smooth and thin as you can and then using the very very tip of the brush with a very very light pressure tidy it up.

I've found by not putting a lot of pressure on the brush you've more control and don't take away too much :D

Practice of a few tips and i'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time

Thanks guys :lol: I've been practising on my 9 year old son tonite, he found it really hard to keep still, but he was so good. As for being light handed., that's something i seriously need to learn, I am so heavy handed.
Practise, Practise and more practise.

Thanks again x

Have u watched fingernail fixers videos on you tube? X

You can use any brush at all as long as you can get a point to do the smile. Delicacy ... Use a light delicate touch and get some practice in? :hug:

Keep sure that you hold the side walls back. I sweep corner to middle, corner to middle with the brush flat, seal the edge and then go over using downward strokes to smooth and thin it out so it doesn't wrinkle. Just get yourself in a good position and at the right angle and relax! Haha hope that helps, good luck!

I can't say enough about Holly's fingernail fixers videos!! My smile lines are now so much better and I enjoy doing French now instead of dreading it and its due to practise, practise, practise and those videos! Mine was all in the technique - the way I held the finger, the brush, the amount of shellac on the brush, the way holly teaches to pull off excess white and loads more! Honestly - you won't regret watching that video over & over! Xx

Thanks again guys yes I have watched Holly's video time and time again, and still practising.., I will master it I'm sure - infact Holly has helped me get my passion for nails burning inside me again after a few years away :lol:

This may seem a strange way.. but it works for me... I do all stages up to colour but I paint on my pink first, one coat before I cure it I get an orange stick and shape off the smile line wiping off pink from where I want the white then cure this stops the white bleeding back then apply ny white, cure and top coat.

I can't say enough about Holly's fingernail fixers videos!! My smile lines are now so much better and I enjoy doing French now instead of dreading it and its due to practise, practise, practise and those videos! Mine was all in the technique - the way I held the finger, the brush, the amount of shellac on the brush, the way holly teaches to pull off excess white and loads more! Honestly - you won't regret watching that video over & over! Xx

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...75574507.96179.409293649124373&type=1&theater

Is this the one you mean :)

I know this is an old thread, but looking for smile line advice for Shellac!
I've bought a gel no6 square brush for finishing after... Should I have bought the oval one instead? Feeling silly!

If you're still struggling this might help, can't remember where I found it but helps to show a deep smile line using a striping brush to help. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1424369435.817150.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but looking for smile line advice for Shellac!
I've bought a gel no6 square brush for finishing after... Should I have bought the oval one instead? Feeling silly!

no, you can use a square brush to do it no problem just tilt the brush so that one of the corners is cleaning up the smile line for you.

I do prefer an oval brush but that is just personal preference :)

This may seem a strange way.. but it works for me... I do all stages up to colour but I paint on my pink first, one coat before I cure it I get an orange stick and shape off the smile line wiping off pink from where I want the white then cure this stops the white bleeding back then apply ny white, cure and top coat.

Interesting! Do you have any pics you could upload, showing the result of this technique? 😊

I've always found it easier to rotate the finger you are painting whilst holding it in between your thumb and index finger, and hold the brush still in the other. Not sure if that makes sense!

Latest posts

Back