Show us your tattoos/what are their meanings?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love, love, love tattoos!
I currently have two. Every tattoo that I have/get has a meaning and has an element of my own design.

My first tattoo is a star on my back, below bra line, above hips. When I was 14/15 me and my dad promised each other we would get tattoos done on my 18th birthday. He died when I was 17 so I went alone. I will be adding the words Travel and Protect me and Keep me Safe, around my Star in a stamp type look. This is due to him always carrying a St Christopher coin around with him everywhere he went. We will never know why.

My second one is behind my ear and is my own design.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389450547.062046.jpg
I still to this day have no idea what it means to me. I suppose the randomness represents myself well.

My planned tattoos are as follows.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389451165.294961.jpg
This is the L'elephant Giraffe by Salvador Dali. I love his work and I will be having one of the Elephant-Giraffes done on the inside of my leg.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389451392.179150.jpg
I studied fine art and design in college and fell in love with the Human body. This and a future sugar skull will represent that love and honour those that have passed. These two will help form my calf sleeve.

To finish off my calf sleeve I will be adding a variety of things, some lyrics from Mumford and Sons songs and my dads favourite flower a flanders poppy.

On my back and neatly tucking in and around my star/stamp will be a comic strip type look. This will take years too design but will represent all of the memorable moments in my life, it will never be complete.

I also for some unknown reason would really like to have a Fruit loop tattooed on me. Mainly because that's my nickname and represents my strangeness.

I have promised my partner that if we are still together in 30/50 years time I will get a small pink iced doughnut tattooed on me. That's his nickname for me.

Finally I would like a small design on my left or right wrist that helps to remind me that things are never as bad as they seem.

All of my tattoos are and will be completed in Black ink and shading, just a personal preference of mine.

In love with this!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1389620557278.jpg
    1389620557278.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 382
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389622700.960428.jpg
This is my second tattoo, the photo was taken the day after it was done so excuse the redness. I had my first tattoo at 19, a tribal symbol on my stomach that has no meaning and looks awful since having 2 children. I still wanted another tattoo but was indecisive what. On 8th December 2012 my best friend in the world was killed in a car accident. She was my best friend, my bridesmaid, my sons godmother, the person I went to when I had it all or had nothing at all and she never judged me and I never judged her, just loved her as a sister for 15 years. She had the word 'believe' tattooed on her wrist, all of a sudden it just clicked that who's was the tattoo I should get, I altered it slightly so it wasn't an exact copy as her B was red and I went black and the writing on hers was joined up and I had mine seperate. I also added the 2 'twinkles' as the tattooist called them, one to represent my brother who has passed and the other to represent Sam, whenever I lose someone who means the world to me I will add another twinkle. Every time I look at it it rinds me of both Sam and Matt and no I wouldn't forget either of them without it but its nice to have it there too. The tattoo was done on 19th December 2012 and the photo was taken on the 20th, the day we laid Sam to rest.
I understand everyone has an opinion on tattoos and I understand there are risks but having lost both my big brother and my best friend at the age of 26 I understand nothing is a given in life, a simple trip to the shops for a loaf of bread could cost your life, IMHO everyone should do as they want, live happy and live in the moment. My next tattoo I want will say simply 'live as though heaven is on earth' xxx

I have 3 at the moment which I can't show you as I'm not sure how to post pictures. One was a drunk Ibiza mistake whoops one was to represent my close friends at school before we grew up and grew apart. I still see them both but they dont see each other do I like that little reminder. And a rose on my back. My next one is so complicated it's going to say "lord teach me the art of patience when I am well and the use of it when I am sick" with a little raspberry bush, because I have a raspberry shaped lesion being removed from my brain next month. With 3 little butterflies representing my grandparents and uncle in heaven. Um its a bit deep sorry about that.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

What a lovely but sad story thinkpink, I love your tattoo.

I also have one on my foot in memory of nan, that means a lot to me.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

As you might guess from my username, I'm pretty well covered in tattoos.

I have almost full sleeves on arms, my entire back from nape of neck to my bum cheek, one down the length of my thigh and one lower leg covered. And some bits and bobs :biggrin:

Know this thread is old but I am bumping as I just wanted to say some lovely tattoos on this thread! :)

I currently have 8 tattoos and am booked in to have my 9th next week which is why I've been searching for tattoo related threads.

Mine are a mixture of meaningful and not.

1. A slightly dominatrix looking fairy. Got this when I was 16. I have always planned to have a sleeve of mythological female beings. I chose a slightly darker fairy as it is more in line with my personality.

2. A killer whale. Sounds silly - but we went on holiday shortly before my parents divorced to Canada and saw a whale show at an aquarium. The tattoo both reminds me of a happy time in my childhood but also reminds me of the cruelty of people and that we need to show each other and all creatures respect.

3. A lily surrounded by stars ... because Lilies were my nans favourite flowers and are also mine and my mums favourite so it ties us all together. The stars around it are because when she died my mum used to tell me she was a star shining down on us now.

4. A skull and crossed guns - but with hearts for eyes and a hair bow. I just really liked the design.

5. "Be quick or be dead" - this is a line from a song that is both mine and my dads favourite band. We've been to see them live around 8 times together and plan to keep going. I got this quote because I feel like it's a good motto for life - you've got to enjoy it and live in the moment or else the moment will pass you by. I liked that it also represents me and my dad.

6. A tribal butterfly - Got this when I went away for a girly weekend as a "screw you" to an ex I'd just split up with who used to tell me my tattoos were vile and would ask me to cover them with make up etc. constantly. The design doesn't mean anything - it was just pretty. But the timing of it was me learning to be my own person.

7. Four stars - One star for each of my closest friends who came away with me to celebrate my 21st birthday.

8. "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" - quote from Harry Potter. I adore the series, and books in general! I also really like the message behind the quote. It's very much in line with my philosophy of living in the moment etc.

9. This is the one I am getting next week. It is going to be a very large female angel with my grandma's date of birth underneath. She died in January and we were always very VERY close - she was very much a mother to me. I wrote the poem / eulogy for her funeral which began with "Sometimes at night I wonder just where you hide your wings - For surely you are my angel to help me through so many things" and so I thought an angel would be appropriate. She absolutely hated tattoos and hated me having tattoos and always having brightly coloured hair and piercings etc. She would abhor the idea of me having a memorium tattoo but would find the idea of "well if you didn't want me to do it you shouldn't have died" amusing. This is going to be on my lower arm and so will be the 2nd piece of my female beings sleeve which is a work in progress.

Know this thread is old but I am bumping as I just wanted to say some lovely tattoos on this thread! :)

I currently have 8 tattoos and am booked in to have my 9th next week which is why I've been searching for tattoo related threads.

Mine are a mixture of meaningful and not.

1. A slightly dominatrix looking fairy. Got this when I was 16. I have always planned to have a sleeve of mythological female beings. I chose a slightly darker fairy as it is more in line with my personality.

2. A killer whale. Sounds silly - but we went on holiday shortly before my parents divorced to Canada and saw a whale show at an aquarium. The tattoo both reminds me of a happy time in my childhood but also reminds me of the cruelty of people and that we need to show each other and all creatures respect.

3. A lily surrounded by stars ... because Lilies were my nans favourite flowers and are also mine and my mums favourite so it ties us all together. The stars around it are because when she died my mum used to tell me she was a star shining down on us now.

4. A skull and crossed guns - but with hearts for eyes and a hair bow. I just really liked the design.

5. "Be quick or be dead" - this is a line from a song that is both mine and my dads favourite band. We've been to see them live around 8 times together and plan to keep going. I got this quote because I feel like it's a good motto for life - you've got to enjoy it and live in the moment or else the moment will pass you by. I liked that it also represents me and my dad.

6. A tribal butterfly - Got this when I went away for a girly weekend as a "screw you" to an ex I'd just split up with who used to tell me my tattoos were vile and would ask me to cover them with make up etc. constantly. The design doesn't mean anything - it was just pretty. But the timing of it was me learning to be my own person.

7. Four stars - One star for each of my closest friends who came away with me to celebrate my 21st birthday.

8. "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" - quote from Harry Potter. I adore the series, and books in general! I also really like the message behind the quote. It's very much in line with my philosophy of living in the moment etc.

9. This is the one I am getting next week. It is going to be a very large female angel with my grandma's date of birth underneath. She died in January and we were always very VERY close - she was very much a mother to me. I wrote the poem / eulogy for her funeral which began with "Sometimes at night I wonder just where you hide your wings - For surely you are my angel to help me through so many things" and so I thought an angel would be appropriate. She absolutely hated tattoos and hated me having tattoos and always having brightly coloured hair and piercings etc. She would abhor the idea of me having a memorium tattoo but would find the idea of "well if you didn't want me to do it you shouldn't have died" amusing. This is going to be on my lower arm and so will be the 2nd piece of my female beings sleeve which is a work in progress.

They sound lovely Girlygeek x

I have two. A male common seahorse on my foot for my uncle and a male red crowned crane calling on my ribs for my Granda.

I want to add background to them but too many options

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

My most recent 😃

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1401999834.452235.jpg
My most recent 😃

I made the most ridicules mistake at 17 and got the Cheryl bloody Cole hand tattoo. Makes me cringe inside, especially when someone comes in with the same one! Ahhhh. I plan to get it removed once I've saved up.

I really love this Hamsa hand tattoo ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402002955.665916.jpg

And I'd like written somewhere 'alea jacta est' which means 'The Die is Cast' in Latin.

My picture is in my whats app messages :(

But me & my 3 best friends recently got the number 4 in roman numerals...

Mine is on my side, under where your bra goes around your body (about 4-5 inches below my arm pit) so is 1 of the others, our guy friends is on the inside of his ankle... The other girls is on her wrist.

It will only be seen when im in a bikini or naked but I ❤️ It so much, just like my best friends!

Xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402007376.732892.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402007394.119029.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402007428.904717.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402007450.043217.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402007467.727872.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402007491.896265.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402007508.448000.jpg
All of mine, dog one with writing needs eyes re doing as not happy these days

Last dog one is one I'm getting done in a few days by a very talented artist I managed to find,

Mine represent my love of realism art and the animals I love. I designed all of mine bar one of them and they are of my horse and dogs

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402009139.583569.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402009147.121325.jpg

Without suffering there is no compassion

Is my quote! Mine means a lot to me, I had a trauma when I very young.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402011716.748237.jpg

I had this tattoo done when I was 17, it represents my father- my guardian angel.
I'm currently saving for one I want on my upper thigh- a lace garter with a gun slung in it. It's going on the leg I had my major op on, to me it will symbolise that strength is beautiful. I love tattoo's, I have 3 and I want many, many more :)

I find tattoos fascinating, I love seeing peoples tattoos around the place & thinking 'I wonder what that represents' its interesting and some of the nicest people I have ever met were covered in tattoos & piercings!

I have 2 tattoos nothing too meaningful though. I have been trying to think up a nice design for a meaningful tattoo but its hard.

I was thinking of getting 3 little birds tattooed on, like 3 actual birds in a small place not just the writing.. (Cheesy as it sounds) I have started a new chapter in my life with my surgery finally being completed & successful, getting out in the real world again and doing my beauty therapy & make up artistry courses, also finally thinking about things positively and getting over a horrible few years and awful awful anxiety.

The three little birds are from bob marleys song because "dont worry about a thing, cause every little thing, is gonna be alright" just fits perfect now after getting through a really bad time & seeing the brighter side of it!

Good tattoo idea or terrible? Ha

took some piccies of the ones I could manage haha.

Attachments

• WP_20140605_002.jpg
    WP_20140605_002.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 272
  • WP_20140606_001.jpg
    WP_20140606_001.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 274
  • WP_20140606_003.jpg
    WP_20140606_003.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 271
  • WP_20140606_007.jpg
    WP_20140606_007.jpg