Silk/fibreglass wraps, still popular? What brand do you use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wait till you have played a bit more and found other materials like silk scarfes, ribbons and the like to use instead of Fibreglass or Silk. The world of resin system has just opend its doors for you huni xxxx

Ive had a play using a square of real silk (as opposed to the sticky backed strips) and i have to say i love it :D
i found it soooooo much easier to apply to the nail!

I use the Backscratchers system for Silk/ Fibre Glass. Its quick, excellent quality & gives a lovely finish.:) I first used Backscatchers in the USA, & although I have trained in other systems, I always go back to them.

I have never had a complaint.

I am a new nail tech. I just got my certificate this month. I am fairly inexperience in all systems so i am trying to find people to practice on. I have had the opportunity to do acrylic on my sister and fiberglass on my friend and myself. My friend did extensions with fiberglass which i think came out well. I did a fiberglass overly on my own to keep them from breaking. However, i am noticing little tiny cracks in my own fiberglass. Is this normal? For example the other day i banged my nail on a screen door and i notice that right by the free edge there were multiple small cracks. Is there anything i can do to prevent this? am i just not making them thick enough? i think they look great and i love having my own nails protected. I just want to be sure i am doing them right so when other people get them done i know what i am doing. i use the backscratchers brush on resin and activator. Could this be the reason. is the other resin better? I just find with the other resin i have a tendancy to get it everywhere and then its not looking so good. The brush on is very easy for me to use on myself with out making a mess. Please help. again i am very new to the nail world and didn't have the best teaching so i am relying on other nail techs to help me become a plethra of info. Thank you to all that can help me. Sorry this is so long.

Welcome to the site Mandy

It sounds like micro shattering, caused by the force of the 'knock' on your nail. Backscratchers glass glaze fibreglass system has a good reputation so I doubt very much that it was the resin.

How long was it since you applied them before you knocked it?

Thank you for replying so quickly. I had just put them on that monday afternoon and that night was when i went to my sisters house and banged my finger. the fiberglass didn't break or chip but you can see little tiny cracks in it. My aunt gets fiberglass on her nails and i beleive her tech uses back scratchers too. I have never really seen her have any issues with it and her nails are pretty long. I have very short nails and just did an overlay to make them stronger so they don't break. i guess my question is, is this something that needs to be fixed right away or can i get away with it being like that. The surface doesn't seem to have any damage at all. Also with fiberglass overlays if you get a lot of lifting at the free edge would you soak them off and start over again or is there another way to fix this. mine aren't doing that now but when i used to have them i used to get horrible lifting at the freeedge. Thanks for yor help.

I like Amber's BRING BACK WRAPS theme. I adore silk and fibreglass wraps, and the finish that they give. I only ever got asked for it when I wore it myself, and even got some wows in 2006 at GMEX when I had the now discontinued fabric system on.

The downside is the cracks, sometimes all it takes is the one tiny bang at the wrong angle and it needs fixing otherwise it looks unsightly.

Sorry I've been gone awhile. Things have been v.v.v.v hectic. Now I've just moved house, all the way across town, but as we all know, clients don't always move with us so I'm starting again, and its much harder than I remember.

Oooops, sorry, went off topic - yay, bring back wraps!

Orin

hey.....just thought i'd 'resurrect' this as i dont use it TOO often but wondered what everyones fav choice on the wrap scene is at the moment.:green:

Thanks

Amb x:hug:

Oh !!!!!! let me see, wrapping my favorite subject.
Gift ribbon from card shops. There is so much to chooose from.
XXX

Attachments

• 19122007b_edited.jpg
    19122007b_edited.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 234
Ooooh Amber what a great topic, I missed it first time round! When I did my EzFlow course wraps were my favourite part, fiddly until you get used to it but I loved them. You've set me off about them again now, especially having seen Ruths posts in here.

Just need to decide which system to aim for, as this topic is quite old now, what are opinions now on the ones out there?

Love that ribbon idea, I might just have to make some christmas nails. Can't believe I didn't think about that one.:hug:

As by now I'm choosing between ez-flow and backscrathers, but can't say which one I love the most yet.

So off to the store buying ribbons now...

Just thought I would ressurect this post as it has been 2 years since - but just wondering if the whole fibreglass system is dying a death. You rarely see it - but at one time this was what I did most of until I started biosculpture gel.

Is backscratchers still going?

If the silk wraps crack when knocked has no one brought out a flexi type fibreglass/silk wrap system.

I did love it - no smell, pretty - strong (I laid extra silk on stress areas)

what do you think?
xx

Backscratchers have a great system

I do backscratchers but i use their resin and powder - would love to learn their silks but im not sure anyone likes them anymore!

There is a salon in my town that only does wraps !

Just thought I would bring this thread back to life!!! :biggrin: I never did silk / fibreglass but after reading this and a few others I want too!! Apparently great to use with/under shellac on broken nails and I think the nail art opportunities sound fab!! I.e. Using ribbon etc. Does anyone have any recommendations on products? It's a shame CND don't do any, but the edge and backscratchers seem to be popular choices!! Looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts :D

I always loved it - but I only ever did them over a tip but you could bring out the mesh/silk over the free edge to create an extension

Latest posts

Back