Smell Of Monomer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonilee

Reaction score
I rent a room within a sunbed salon, and the owner is an Accupuncturist and runs her clinic there twice a week. Everytime I do nails there she complains quite alot about the smell....I hasten to add I have done maybe 1set or rebalance in one day no more ( I do more beauty usually) so its not like I am doing millions of sets a day!!

Last night I went in and when I was finished I did a quick repair on 2 nails I had broken, and she came and shut my door complaining of the smell but I hadnt even poured my monomer out of its bottle by this point!!

I have a fume extractor which she gave me, keep my room door shut, wrapped up all my waste and took it out at the end of the night. And she has just text me to say a client had commented on the smell and she was having to air my room out!!!

Im starting to feel really bad everytime i do nails, I dont know what I can say or do to reassure her.

i put 3 drops of odor out in and it smells like apples
if i dont use the odor out my place smells and my boyfriend get head ache

Last night I went in and when I was finished I did a quick repair on 2 nails I had broken, and she came and shut my door complaining of the smell but I hadnt even poured my monomer out of its bottle by this point!!
I would tell her that you hadn't even gotten it out when she complained and see what she says to that. She sounds like she's complaining for the sake of it.

yup, sounds like shes just whinging at nothing!!
my dad does that, if he can see me or mom are doing our nails he monas at the smel. even if ive only just started filing them lol.

i rekon she is just one for whinging,
call me weird but i love the smell of monomer lol
tracy x

Odor Out!!!???
Where can I get this???

Kathleen

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it too! It smells like money to me!!
My husband hates it though.

Kathleen

Last edited by a moderator:
WE are used to the smell, for those that are not accustomed to it "nail product stink", even remover stinks......

Thanks for the replys everyone. Its quite a big salon too so its not like its a tiny space with a big stink!!

Im just not sure how to handle this?? She said last time I did a set she had a banging head ache all day? Does it really get to people like this?? I know I am biased cos I work with it, am used to it and I actually like it too!!!!

Im just not sure what I can do to resolve or even reassure her???

Thanks for the replys everyone. Its quite a big salon too so its not like its a tiny space with a big stink!!

Im just not sure how to handle this?? She said last time I did a set she had a banging head ache all day? Does it really get to people like this?? I know I am biased cos I work with it, am used to it and I actually like it too!!!!

Im just not sure what I can do to resolve or even reassure her???

i would sneak some into the plant pot in her room, then a bit more each week, and then she will gradually get used to the smell.

I AM JOKING!!! lol. :smack:

i would sneak some into the plant pot in her room, then a bit more each week, and then she will gradually get used to the smell.

I AM JOKING!!! lol. :smack:

:green::green::green: ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust you!!!!

Are you using a metal bin to store your waste during the day?? That's the biggest thing you can do to contain the smell of discarded monomer..... If you're using a platic bin the smell will leach out (the molecules are small enough to pass through plastic but not metal).

Are you using a metal bin to store your waste during the day?? That's the biggest thing you can do to contain the smell of discarded monomer..... If you're using a platic bin the smell will leach out (the molecules are small enough to pass through plastic but not metal).

Yeah I have a small metal bin next to my desk which I empty at the end of every day!!

:hug:

Yeah I have a small metal bin next to my desk which I empty at the end of every day!!

:hug:

Thought you probably were :hug:. I reckon she's just making a fuss.....!!

Just out of curiosity isn´t there any law in the UK saing that you have to have a exhaust device in all nail shops, here in Denmark it is by law required that you have a exhaust device if you make nails, it doesnt matter if it is gel ore L&P??

I would like say Im very suprised at the comments posted in relation to this thread. This forum is for professionals working within the beauty industry etc yet most of you just thought that I, as the person in question who is suffering headaches as a result of the application of acrylic nails, was just whinging and moaning. Some of you preferred to bitch rather than add constuctive advice. This doesn't strike me as professional behaviour.

Please refer to SR13 COSHH Essentials for Service and
Rretail which states that "Acrylic fumes can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea and irritation" It also states that "good practice" includes "control of odour". It advises that an extraction hood or draught table must be provided. www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/sr13.pdf

As the owner of the salon in question I know that my customers have complained of the fumes. I have mentioned this in passing because I have to make the salon comfortable for everyone, customers, staff and tennants alike.

I have supplied an extractor fan and asked for the door to be closed, something which I don't think is unreasonable.

Prior to reading this post I have also offered to have an external outlet extractor fan fitted in a bigger room, which will cost me time and money.

So before you use this forum to bitch maybe spare a thought to the fact that there are always two sides to every story. Some salon owners are actually on your side and go out of the way to accomodate where they can.

I think you will find the thread was started by Lee to ask advise on the situation, she was wanting to know how to reassure you about the matter. Not bitching or slag you off.

This site is used by professionals, for all kinds of things. I see it as my virtual staff room. We all seek each others views and comments. The beauty industry can be a lonely place sometimes if you work on your own so we come on this side for reassurance now and then...

Lee was only wanting other peoples views on the subject of 'smell of monomer'

Prior to reading this post I have also offered to have an external outlet extractor fan fitted in a bigger room, which will cost me time and money.
excellent idea, but install it (the sucking end) closer to the floor, as the vapors are heavier than air and will be naturally drawn into it.
If you put it in the ceiling (or higher than the desk) the vapors have to be drawn upwards (and past your nose), when they already want to go down.

Last edited:
Please refer to SR13 COSHH Essentials for Service and
Rretail which states that "Acrylic fumes can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea and irritation" It also states that "good practice" includes "control of odour". It advises that an extraction hood or draught table must be provided. www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/sr13.pdf

Monomer produces vapour not fumes,i personally would question this source of information as it is very misleading and uniformed. hth's

Latest posts

Back