Smile lines & sculpted nails .. Argh!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseyboi

Reaction score
Hi geeks

Had my ist 121 today & the educator was fab & really new her stuff:)

We started with the basics (prep & mix ratio) & then moved on to the dreadded sculpture. No matter how hard I tried I just could not do it. If it was a course on how to make replica iceburgs I would have aced it lol. (Bless the educator she was so patient with me) my smile lines looked like the mouth on this face:irked: & all lop sided. Oh well practise I will & master this I shall if I am to be a true nail pro & do this industrie proud. Have booked another 121 for july & hope after many many hours locked in my spare room with margrett (My training hand)& reading Geegs tutorials 1000 times I would have improved a bit. Funny thing is I know in my mind what im supposed to do but when it come's to actulay doing it BRAIN FART lol

Would love to hear your experiances when you were learning l&p P&W sculpt & how you managed to master this fine art

Hi geeks

Had my ist 121 today & the educator was fab & really new her stuff:)

We started with the basics (prep & mix ratio) & then moved on to the dreadded sculpture. No matter how hard I tried I just could not do it. If it was a course on how to make replica iceburgs I would have aced it lol. (Bless the educator she was so patient with me) my smile lines looked like the mouth on this face:irked: & all lop sided. Oh well practise I will & master this I shall if I am to be a true nail pro & do this industrie proud. Have booked another 121 for july & hope after many many hours locked in my spare room with margrett (My training hand)& reading Geegs tutorials 1000 times I would have improved a bit. Funny thing is I know in my mind what im supposed to do but when it come's to actulay doing it BRAIN FART lol

Would love to hear your experiances when you were learning l&p P&W sculpt & how you managed to master this fine art

It's all in the touch ... light as a feather ... place the bead then tiny baby presses right, left, right, left and so on until you do the final nudge up into the corners. Don't even worry about the corners so much right now just concentrate on creating a nice curve then you can perfect the corners at a later session.

You also do not need to bother Margaret at the moment. Use tips ... maybe some that you have lying around that you don't use or don't like. Use a soft pencil to draw the smile line on the underside of the tip and then place your bead and follow it. YOU CAN DO THIS. Remember a light touch and small baby moves in a nice rhythm.

Hi hun! Feel exactly the same!!! :hug:Finished my Foundation course last month and have spent ever night practicing. I am fairly happy with the shape of my smile line at the minute, my main problem is that i still use too large a bead. The white ends up looking like chewing gum!!!I then spend ages filing it down! My trainer hand was nearly a dead one last night with frustration!!!:irked:
Great idea Geeg about using cheap tips the pencil line:)!!! Defo try that one tonight!!!!!

www.CND.com has some great spotlight videos that show you how to create the beautiful smile lines that Gigi just explained to you. They really make it look easy and if you use their technique it should work wonderfully. It will take time though - Rome wasn't built in a day, etc...

I had a couple of 121's and learned a lot from them, but the blessed sculpts had me beet. Which really annoyed me because I love them, then I went to a play day, had my first play with gel, loved it, and got a huge confidence boost when we went on to their new range of L&P. Just to have people I respect tell me my nails rock was, well I can never thank them enough, anyway I was shown the reverse application technic, I'd tried that before and hadn't got on with it but for sculpting its the bee's knees.
Pink is applied like your doing an nno then you fit your form and as Gigi said little pats nice and light and it all fell into place.
Give this a go with your tips and see how you do:hug:

Cheers guys. Love Geeg's idea of using tips to practise. I Know I will crack this in the end just need to keep going & having regular tuition. I plan to have 1 full day 121 a month untill I can suclpt to a decent standard & maintain my work (Infill/Backfill). Is this enough or would you recomend more?

Cheers

Cheers guys. Love Geeg's idea of using tips to practise. I Know I will crack this in the end just need to keep going & having regular tuition. I plan to have 1 full day 121 a month untill I can suclpt to a decent standard & maintain my work (Infill/Backfill). Is this enough or would you recomend more?

Cheers

I think that should be enough: Respect.

Respect should also be given to your CND Ambassador by name who I believe is Katie Ellison in Liverpool. She just had another mention today and she deservs the accolade I think. All the CND ambassadors are truly fab but credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
Unfortunatly Geeg i've not used CND educator. Dont get me wrong would have loved too & gutted that I could not but Liverpool is a bit too far for me to get to as I live in Blackpool & have to use public transport. Liverpool is just over a 2 hour train ride for me & then I would have prob would have had to get a taxi to the educator. I have infact gone with La femme which is based in bolton & preston which is an hour on the train so a little nearer & they offer weekends as well which is a bonus as I work full time. As I understand Jackie O'Sullivan has a very good rep for education & that is the one & only thing that matters to me. We need to get a CND educator in preston/bolton area & then I will be defo booking some 121 with CND or once I am able to actually do a decent sculpt would like to do a CND work shop. There used to be a CND educator in Blackpool but for some reason she has vanished??????. Thinking about it maybee one day I might be the CND educator in my area lol (In my dreams)

QUOTE" t's all in the touch ... light as a feather ... place the bead then tiny baby presses right, left, right, left and so on until you do the final nudge up into the corners."

Surprising as it might sound after all the years Ive done, but what a nail on the head statement!!! worked for me, (it just took me 3hours per set :( gossiping inbetween with my brothers girlfriend but am still shocked at that timing!!) best set ive done in a long time and the bride and braidsmaid happy, so thats what counts :)
A little more confidence boosted now tho :) Cant wait to meet Katy in liverpool........ :)
GET IN!!!!

Make sure you work both sides evenly aswell when you start to form your smile line to keep the workability of the bead even on the right and left side.

Cheers for all the advice guy's

I think I might just be thick or somthing lol I can see in my mind how to sculpt & create a good smile line but when in practice it just wont work:rolleyes:. Been watching the CND spotlight on smile lines & sculpting (about 20 times now) & have geegs tutorial printed & by my side as im working so im hoping it will all "click" into place soon. Am booking a full day 121 with Jackie from La Femme in july so she will be able to sit with me & we will do this over & over untill I crack it. Im ok with zone 2 & 3 it's just creating the free edge that im having prob's with. Oh well when my copy of nailclass arrives I might just need to smack myself over the head with it a few times lol. :)

you tube is a handy tool as well (nailzoo has plenty of videos on there and there are others as well).....many hours have i spend in front of it getting to grips with certain areas. I am by no means the best sculptor in the world but i know decent forms are a good start....i used rubbish ones at first it makes such a difference.
The free edge is what i originally had problems with ...there seems to be so many different ways of doing it. when my first educator showed me we were told to sculpt out a thin bead to create a tip to the length you need then do another bead on top to do the full zone 1....i have no idea if that makes sense,lol. My other educator told me to just do it in one large bead.

I know what you mean lol I'm trying as many techniques as possible to find the one that works for me (not that I have found one yet lol). Nailzoo website is fab & yes I also am a regular visitor to the site. Carl makes it look soooooo easy as do all the other accomplished artists on here. But we all have to start somewhere & everyone had to go through this stage that im at. But I will not be beat & I dont care how long it takes me as long as I manage it in the end & im sure I will. If not Im selling the house & paying Geeg to train me lol. I do find learning new things hard & I am always the one that need extra help "SPECIAL LOL" but i never give up & it will be worth it in the end xx

It's all in the touch ... light as a feather ... place the bead then tiny baby presses right, left, right, left and so on until you do the final nudge up into the corners. Don't even worry about the corners so much right now just concentrate on creating a nice curve then you can perfect the corners at a later session.

You also do not need to bother Margaret at the moment. Use tips ... maybe some that you have lying around that you don't use or don't like. Use a soft pencil to draw the smile line on the underside of the tip and then place your bead and follow it. YOU CAN DO THIS. Remember a light touch and small baby moves in a nice rhythm.

I can vouch for this method its fab, really helped me with my smile lines, admittingly they still need work. If all I want to do is practise smile lines I use both ends of the cheap tips as well for even more economy. You gotta be frugal in these times :lol:

anne xx

Hi there, i am an Educator for INM and i teach all my students to scupt using the reverse technique, ie, doing the pink first then the white. I find that creating a lovely smile line with the pink then butting the white up into the pink then overlaying entirely with clear has got to the the easiest way to learn! Give it a go!

Hi there, i am an Educator for INM and i teach all my students to scupt using the reverse technique, ie, doing the pink first then the white. I find that creating a lovely smile line with the pink then butting the white up into the pink then overlaying entirely with clear has got to the the easiest way to learn! Give it a go!

Well not all beginners can create a lovely smile line with the pink either and when they add the white it does not always look even.

I have been teaching zone 123 application for 25 years now and my students generally get it.

Both methods can work but neither works without an equal amount of practise. There is no quick fix for leaning to do great smiles ... it is dedication to the task at hand.

Well not all beginners can create a lovely smile line with the pink either and when they add the white it does not always look even.

I have been teaching zone 123 application for 25 years now and my students generally get it.

Both methods can work but neither works without an equal amount of practise. There is no quick fix for leaning to do great smiles ... it is dedication to the task at hand.

Well Geeg you will be pleased to know that I have now booked with Katie for a 121 for 4/5 hrs so I hope we can go over this so I can go home & practise correctly. Can I ask your oppinoin on something? do you think it's better for me to master tip overlay before I learn to sculpt? I need to devise a structured training plan but not sure where to start? I love suculpture but am thinking maybe im biting off more than I can chew. What do suggest & what would you start someone like me off on?

Many thanks

Well Geeg you will be pleased to know that I have now booked with Katie for a 121 for 4/5 hrs so I hope we can go over this so I can go home & practise correctly. Can I ask your oppinoin on something? do you think it's better for me to master tip overlay before I learn to sculpt? I need to devise a structured training plan but not sure where to start? I love suculpture but am thinking maybe im biting off more than I can chew. What do suggest & what would you start someone like me off on?

Many thanks

I personally feel that , yes, tip and overlay is the most asked for service and therefore I think one can get on quicker by mastering it first. Once you have mastered it then sculpting is a breeze as to me it is barely different than tip & overlay apart form zone 1 is done on a form.

Tips do give one instant order on the nail on which to work. With sculpted nails, you have to make that 'ordered' enhancement completely which is allot to think about when you are just learning to mix a bead and apply it as well.

Don't become a sculpted nail 'snob', chase!! :lol: Both services are equally strong, equally long lasting and equally important in the salon.

I personally feel that , yes, tip and overlay is the most asked for service and therefore I think one can get on quicker by mastering it first. Once you have mastered it then sculpting is a breeze as to me it is barely different than tip & overlay apart form zone 1 is done on a form.

Tips do give one instant order on the nail on which to work. With sculpted nails, you have to make that 'ordered' enhancement completely which is allot to think about when you are just learning to mix a bead and apply it as well.

Don't become a sculpted nail 'snob', chase!! :lol: Both services are equally strong, equally long lasting and equally important in the salon.

lol I see your point:hug: So I will ask Katie to cover tip overay with me to start off with & once I have mastered it then I will look to learn sculpt. Thanks Geeg I will keep you posted on how I got on after my training day. By the way the book is helping I was doining so much the wrong way even the way I hold a file.

lol I see your point:hug: So I will ask Katie to cover tip overay with me to start off with & once I have mastered it then I will look to learn sculpt. Thanks Geeg I will keep you posted on how I got on after my training day. By the way the book is helping I was doining so much the wrong way even the way I hold a file.

Well there are many different ways to do things ,,, doesn't make it wrong because it is not MY way but I will say this, that my way is an efficient as well as an effective way and that is what you need to be in the salon.

Yep .. keep me posted as to progress and don't try to 'push the river' !! If you've 'got it' Katie will bring it out of you. :hug:

Latest posts

Back