So hows everyones NVQ level 3's going?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SallyGirlJojo

Reaction score
In responce to this thread by Pure in September http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/59383-nvq3-beauty-therapy.html which was done when we first started our level 3's (seems such a long time ago now!) I was just wondering how everyones is going? have you found it hard or easy and which parts? how are you going with your assessments?

I've got 17 assessments left to go, and i'm really struggling to get clients for body electrics, no one seems to book in for them, just wondering is this the same case around the country?!

much love, Jojo xxx

ps. this is not a level 3 exclusive thread, tell me about your level 2's too!

well i finished my btec last year (equiv to level 3) and had the same probs getting clients in for body and facial electrical. I put an ad on my local Don't Dump That offering free treatments and got a great response for my case studies, and passed with distinction!

I really really miss college, used to love my faradics & galvanics, oh and epilation too!

good luck and make the most of every moment x

well i finished my btec last year (equiv to level 3) and had the same probs getting clients in for body and facial electrical. I put an ad on my local Don't Dump That offering free treatments and got a great response for my case studies, and passed with distinction!

I really really miss college, used to love my faradics & galvanics, oh and epilation too!

good luck and make the most of every moment x

aaah sodabubble thats a really good idea, i can't believe i didnt think of advertising! don't even get me started though on how i'm going to get a case study, i've only done 4 of 18 treatments for body so far!

and you are a fellow faradic lover...! we all love it at college, whenever we are free we get it out and beef each other up!

its strange when you're at college you just wanna get out of it, but when your gone, you miss it really bad! theres 2 people in my class leaving already because they've finished! i wanna stay til the very last day because i don't want to grow up and get a REAL job :p scared!

I had the most amazing time, both years were fab but so different - the second year was definitely more hardcore! so much to take in, and we had all of our written assignements to do on top of our practical! (I think the written work is where the btec differs from nvq).

Are you allowed to give out free treatments for assements or case studies? We were, kinda, so thats why I placed my ad, I never thought I'd get anyone for top lip electrolysis but I did and she was fab! Had it done about 6 times!

We were not allowed to be assessed on each other, is that the same for you? xx

hey soda, thanks for your replies! unfortunately, clients have to pay, a whopping £60 for a body case study (6 treatments) and £50 for electrical facials. which we have tried to get the price down so we can get our student (on other courses) friends but to no avail, so its really tricky, you think they'd do a promotion or something but no! for a class of 22, we had to fight over 3 clients who would have a body case study!

definate no-no on passing on each other, sometimes we get the hairdressers in for some treatments, which is invaluable, get to do my microcurrents and G5's on them!

and i totally agree on the paperwork side, we have 9 assignments! makes level 2 seem like a breeze! however on a practical side, i can honestly say i have passed a whole lot more treatments first time on my level 3 than on my level 2! maybe they just want to get us outta here! :lol: they are sick of us now!

On the whole I think I'm enjoying it more than I did level 2! Probably because we now have all the basic understanding of why we are doing things so now its how to do them! :lol:

I have found a real passion for massage.:green: I really enjoy it and have so far passed all the Swedish assessments. We are about to start assessments for Indian Head and Pre Blend aromatherapy. I love them all.

So far I have done 2 advanced facial assesments, one micro-current, and then tonight I did desincrustation and iontophoresis. Unfortunately there weren't enough clients available so I was given one of the other beauty tutors!!:eek::Scared: However she said it was a lovely, professional treatment and I passed.:green:

So just got tanning to do and however many (seems like hundreds) of further assesments there are.

But i would definitely recommend it to anyone and am so pleased I decided to do it.

I am about to start Indian Head after Easter, have done the Swedish Massage and am currently doing the electrics. Most tests done, think I have 2 left to do, the lymph ,blood etc and indian head case studies.

Getting people in to do the electrics is a nightmare....but loving the course.

Im currently doing level 2, and finding it hard to get clients in for fibreglass/silk nails and waxing. Whether it is because the college charges half price for them I don't know. I've not had many problems getting people in for manicure, pedicure or nail art because all that is free.

On the whole I think I'm enjoying it more than I did level 2! Probably because we now have all the basic understanding of why we are doing things so now its how to do them! :lol:

I have found a real passion for massage.:green: I really enjoy it and have so far passed all the Swedish assessments. We are about to start assessments for Indian Head and Pre Blend aromatherapy. I love them all.

So far I have done 2 advanced facial assesments, one micro-current, and then tonight I did desincrustation and iontophoresis. Unfortunately there weren't enough clients available so I was given one of the other beauty tutors!!:eek::Scared: However she said it was a lovely, professional treatment and I passed.:green:

So just got tanning to do and however many (seems like hundreds) of further assesments there are.

But i would definitely recommend it to anyone and am so pleased I decided to do it.

thanks for all your replies guys! Pure - what is the actual 'title' of your course? seems like a really good one including tanning and all aspects of massage.

Mine is 'Spa Therapy' as it includes body massage, face and body electrics, performing spa treatments and setting up and shutting down spa facilities. I chose it because i didnt want to do the dreaded BT16........ELIPIDATION!

UKRed - like sodabubble said, maybe try and advertise your services? or grab a hairdresser or another student if you are allowed? how many assessments have you got left?

Mine is just NVQ Level 3 Massage route. But I added the facial electrical units as an additional qualification too. Not everyone in the class has, only 7 of us in fact.

Mine doesn't include any spa or body electical or epilation though. Just Swedish, Pre-Blend Aromatherapy and Indian Head Massage, manual tanning application and the facial electrical.

I have to say I'm really pleased with everything that it has covered.

I have all my fibreglass and silk nails to do - 3 sets of each, repair natural nail, repair an enhancement, 2 week infill and 4 week infill. Also I have to do full leg, half leg, eyebrow, lip, chin and underarm waxing. Oh I also have to do 1 dark file and polish 2 french polish - one on toes and one on fingers... man thats a lot

All the people I know who 'could' be a client, either work during the times I do my assessments, let me down at the last minute or just are the wrong sex... (my boyfriend volunteers for everything bless him!) I am going to have to try and get willing people from other classes!

Mine has been a real labour. Just about finished my case studies (30 treatments) for aromatherapy and about to start my 30 reflex treatments case studies this week. We will get a full level 3 qual in swedish massage, indian head massage, and also spa treatments aswell as the full aromatherapy qual (enables me to blend my own oils not just pre-blended) and reflex.

Won't be doing the advanced course I don't think, thatis 120 hours of case studies and I just can't spare the time and my enthusiasm is just about waning now for study.

I still have two assignments to do, having already done about 20 plus two more exams having done about 15 of them too. Bloody nightmare!!!

My portfolio is bulging.

Latest posts

Back