Soaking off acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty_1

Reaction score
Hi all, wasjust wondering in anyof you could give me any tips on soaking off acrylic , i have ibd acrylic over my natural nails and wanted to soak it off yesterday i have the ibd soak off and it says on the back 10 - 15 mins then the acrylic will lift off the nail using by using an orange sick to gently lift off but it took me forever and still was not compleatly off.:mad: is there any thing i can do to get it off quicker? please help

Hiya,

What are you using the acetone in to get the acrylic off? If your putting the acetone in a bowl then you should put another bowl underneath with some warm water in, which will slighty warm the acrylic up and therefore remove your acrylic enhancements quicker.

HTH's

xxx

I'm a bit confused by this post (doesn't take much lol)
it says on your profile you have been in the industry since 2006,
surely this is not the first experience you have had of removing acrylic if you have been trained since then ?

yeah.. the IBD remover says 15 mins but its prob nearer 30.. you can buy special soak of bowls that heat the acetone by filling it with warm water..

sometimes even thou somone trains, confidence comes by reassurance and asking questions.. yikes.. id be scared to ask anything..

a couple of tips for making it faster..

file the acrylic to at least remove the shine before you soak them, file some of the bulk down too if you want them to remove faster.

i usally soak some cotton balls in acetone and wrap them round my nails with foil before putting on a couple of pairs of well fitting rubber gloves and going off to do some cleaning for 1/2 an hour.
the gloves make my hands hot and this heat assists the acetone in doing its job.

the time it says on soak off products is usually on the optimistic side, but keeping the product as thin as you can when applying it will help make sure it doesnt take too long to remove.

Well said Raquel

Somebody asks a simple question and you get reply's like oh if you are in the industry im surprised you dont know the answer.:eek:

sometimes even thou somone trains, confidence comes by reassurance and asking questions.. yikes.. id be scared to ask anything..[/quote]

I always think they underestimate the times. I remove quite a lot of the acrylic by filing then get two plastic bowls fill one with hot-ish water the other with acetone. Place the bowl with acetone in it on top of the one with hot water in (like when you melt chocolate). Place fingertips in and wait..... for 10 mins remember if you keep lifting out to see if anything has happend the acrylic will start to set again. So have patience, the acrylic then should start to roll off when gently filed. I use an old file for this so its softer on the nail and then just throw away after use. Hope this helps and keep asking questions!

I dont think LoubyLou meant anything by her reply..... of course when you train, you should be well aware of how to soak off acrylic nails, especially from being in the industry for a long while.
But, yes it is nice to get replies in seeing how people do different things and to get tips. I usually use the acetone in a bowl and then in another bowl of warm water trick.... but then I also heard one on here from somebody else a while ago saying that when you do the finger in foil method, you can also put them into heated mitts - something I wouldnt of thought of doing!!!
Also a good idea to file down a good bit of the acrylic first - will definately speed up the process.
Hth xx

I dont think LoubyLou meant anything by her reply..... of course when you train, you should be well aware of how to soak off acrylic nails, especially from being in the industry for a long while.
But, yes it is nice to get replies in seeing how people do different things and to get tips. I usually use the acetone in a bowl and then in another bowl of warm water trick.... but then I also heard one on here from somebody else a while ago saying that when you do the finger in foil method, you can also put them into heated mitts - something I wouldnt of thought of doing!!!
Also a good idea to file down a good bit of the acrylic first - will definately speed up the process.
Hth xx

Thanks hun, you are quite right, i did not mean anything in my reply,
i am more than happy to help out trained people,
but i do like to be 100% sure they are truly trained before giving out answers, as we get so many people on the site just looking for free online training which is unfair to the people that spend a lot of time and money on their training :hug:

Thanks hun, you are quite right, i did not mean anything in my reply,
i am more than happy to help out trained people,
but i do like to be 100% sure they are truly trained before giving out answers, as we get so many people on the site just looking for free online training which is unfair to the people that spend a lot of time and money on their training :hug:

And you are quite right too! Like you said, so many come on and say they have trained and they havent and its not good for the industry or us.
Better to be safe than sorry! :green: xx

No this is not the first time of soaking off nails i did get told on my course but i was just looking for some tips if there is any thing to help make it quicker all i got told on my course was to soak nails off in artifical nail remover or acetone.i have also spent a lot of money and time doing my gel course them my acrylic but was just looking for some advice. i also agree why should we give people who are not trainned help but i can say im properly trainned have my certificates and fully insured :)

NSI sell the easysoak bowl, u put hot water inside it, the ouside has finger holes that u fill with acetone, i bought one and it;s great but still take 45 mins ish. I always file and cut down the enhancements, soak for 10 mins then file of the acrylic thats gone soft, just repeat this till all the acrylic is off.

Of course the 2 bowl method is probably cheaper but at about £40 the easysoak is well worth it IMO.

Hi all, wasjust wondering in anyof you could give me any tips on soaking off acrylic , i have ibd acrylic over my natural nails and wanted to soak it off yesterday i have the ibd soak off and it says on the back 10 - 15 mins then the acrylic will lift off the nail using by using an orange sick to gently lift off but it took me forever and still was not compleatly off.:mad: is there any thing i can do to get it off quicker? please help

Sometimes the instructions "soak 10-15mins" are based on a certain thickness of enhancements, if your enhancements were thicker then they would take longer to breakdown and soak off.
To soak off: I thin down the enhancement with a 100 or 120g abrasive and shorten if required. I thin until approx 0.25mm-0.5mm thick (this does not take long as the enhancements are already thin and refined), then soak, either tin foil method or bowl method for approx 10-15mins, without removing the nails from the product remover- then voila - all gone!!:)

HTH:)

Hi guys

I have been using the easysoak (got mine from sweet squared bit cheaper than above) and love it ....taking me no more than 25 mins to take set off and prep ready for new set!!!!

Its great, I havnt had to use a file either and customer v comfortable. Used less product so very cost effective all round
:)
Hope that helps

Hi guys

I have been using the easysoak (got mine from sweet squared bit cheaper than above) and love it ....taking me no more than 25 mins to take set off and prep ready for new set!!!!

Its great, I havnt had to use a file either and customer v comfortable. Used less product so very cost effective all round
:)
Hope that helps
I have used the Easysoak or Handisoak bowls as the older version was called for years now, and it is the best thing since sliced bread!!

I got my original ones from our very own Fiona Naturalnails, who was the first person to spot them in America and bring them into the UK. No mean feat for a 1 man business!!! I always recommended them to my students, and I always remember when I finally mentioned this to Fiona it solved her mystery as to why she had so many orders from Scotland!!!

When the big companies saw the potential of this great item they moved in and bought in huge bulk which no 1 man band could compete with, but I still think it is all credit to Fiona we have these great bowls her in the UK at all.

Just my tuppenceworth.......

A couple of people mentioned the foil method. Here is our step-by-step instruction on doing that:

To remove acrylic enhancements, completely saturate in Nail Wipes in 100% Acetone and place on top of the acrylic enhancements. Wrap each enhancement in a piece of aluminum foil and let them set for approximately 15 minutes. This will dissolve the acrylic enhancement.

I've never heard that we underestimated the time from any customers, but anything is possible. Interested in any feedback from people who use this method.

Last edited:
Hi, dunno if this will help but i picked up a great tip on here months ago for soaking off L&P, buff the shine off the nail, soak a cotton wool ball with Acetone then apply to nail & wrap tin foil round it for ten mins (have a peep now and again, apply to all fingers, i do find it quicker, let me know if it works for you xx (bearing in mind im a mere novice lol) Good Luck xx

Oops didnt see the message before mine already stating the same but anyway i love the method & it works for me xx:lol:

Latest posts

Back