Spray tan, do I need an extractor

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainelola

Reaction score
When I did the training I asked if we needed extractors and was told no and that they are spraying all the time in the college and don't use them and that as long as the client stands at the back of the tent and the gun is inside the tent then its ok.

But, I've read on here about how spray can get onto your walls and I'm concerned now.

if your gun is set up correctly and you are using a good controllable machine like the truespray or the maximist then the overspray is minimal, and your college was correct 95% of it stays in the tent and the small amount that does settle on surfaces is not really noticeable, however if your doing lots of tans in one place in salon then an extractor can be an advantage to keeping the place clean, we have a very small compact extractor suitable for salon and mobile but i would never push some one who is just starting out into believing they need one, as they dont,
Its a great piece of kit for the busy well established thearapist or salons but not neccesary when your just starting out

if your gun is set up correctly and you are using a good controllable machine like the truespray or the maximist then the overspray is minimal, and your college was correct 95% of it stays in the tent and the small amount that does settle on surfaces is not really noticeable, however if your doing lots of tans in one place in salon then an extractor can be an advantage to keeping the place clean, we have a very small compact extractor suitable for salon and mobile but i would never push some one who is just starting out into believing they need one, as they dont,
Its a great piece of kit for the busy well established thearapist or salons but not neccesary when your just starting out

Excellent response, thank you. Not many places would be so honest.

Yes. My room has been "tanned" after only a dozen or so spray tans. I would def recommend an extractor.

No matter which system you use, if you do not have an extractor the rest of the room including furniture will get tanned! You will then end up with orange and green walls and skirting etc even if you regularly clean them. An extractor is a must!!!!!!

Absolutely agree and I don't know why people say it isn't. Cost maybe?

I do tanning in my conservatory and when i dont use the extractor it is really noticable when i dust.
I wouldnt want to be going to peoples houses without one if mobile.
I also think from a safety aspect with inhalation you need to use one.Many regular spray tanners complain that it makes them feel chesty or head achy when they are constantly breathing over spray.

When I first started out I didnt have one (i was in a small room) the spray did get everywhere and I have noticed a big difference since I have got my extractor fan, I wouldnt be without it and would definately recommend anyone to get one.

What about for mobiles? I really want to avoid getting an extractor when I first start out in spray tanning (Nov) but at the same time I'd rather hear some horror stories now and save for it than be the horror story later on! x

Well I'm confused now. Steve says I wouldn't need one and other geeks are saying I should get one. Hmmm, I need a screen around tent :eek:

Well I'm confused now. Steve says I wouldn't need one and other geeks are saying I should get one. Hmmm, I need a screen around tent :eek:

I know - I got similar divided opinion on another thread. Guess I'll see what they say on my training course. However - having one might be quite a nice selling point for clients, particularly if your competitors don't have one.

Maybe it's because Steve doesn't tan in one place or perhaps it will put people off buying, whatever the reason you definitely DO NEED an extractor (I can't honestly say why he is suggesting this but you can see all the spray tanners on here do not agree with what he is saying). If you spray in a private house even if you do have a tent it will settle all over their room, you won't notice it but they will when they come to clean up. It can tinge paint too with repeated tans.

Obviously agree to above also from a health and safety point of view in needing an extractor, it saves you breathing in constant overspray. Even if you have the gun on a low direct setting, you will still get spray in the air which will circulate in the room until it settles on a surface somewhere.

Maybe it's because Steve doesn't tan in one place or perhaps it will put people off buying, whatever the reason you definitely DO NEED an extractor (I can't honestly say why he is suggesting this but you can see all the spray tanners on here do not agree with what he is saying). If you spray in a private house even if you do have a tent it will settle all over their room, you won't notice it but they will when they come to clean up. It can tinge paint too with repeated tans.

Obviously agree to above also from a health and safety point of view in needing an extractor, it saves you breathing in constant overspray. Even if you have the gun on a low direct setting, you will still get spray in the air which will circulate in the room until it settles on a surface somewhere.
I sell them there on my web site, and there very affordable it would be better for me to say yes you need one, come get it from me :lol::lol:
but personally when we use our maximist and it set up correctly we get little or no overspray, we use one when were training and in the salon but when your doing one client in there own home its my opinion that its not really needed, when your first starting out

When I started out I was doing them in my converted beauty room and didn't use an extractor fan. I use my gun on a very low setting but there was still over spray on everything. I now use an extractor fan as started to do parties and read somewhere that an insurance company refused to pay out for overspray on a carpet as they did not use an extractor fan.
I also put the tent on a ground sheet to be extra careful.
I have noticed a huge difference when using the extractor fan. When I used to clean the filter in the maxi mist I use to get alot of tanning solution coming out - now there is nothing!

I sell them there on my web site, and there very affordable it would be better for me to say yes you need one, come get it from me :lol::lol:
but personally when we use our maximist and it set up correctly we get little or no overspray, we use one when were training and in the salon but when your doing one client in there own home its my opinion that its not really needed, when your first starting out

We have a st tropez machine but know other salons and therapists with all sorts of machines including maximist. They all say that if an extractor is not used you notice the difference with your breathing and in how the room looks afterwards. This is all regardless of what setting is used or how the client is sprayed. You would soon have clients noticing tan all over the place if you didn't have an extractor. Like I said, maybe it's because you don't routinely do tans in the same place? You also said that in salons or on training sessions you use extractors, could this be that the room would get covered otherwise?

I don't think it's fair to go to a client's home to do a tan then leave them to clean up the mess that inevitably happens afterwards.

if your just doing one tan in someones home and your machine is set correctly and your using a cubicle, i stand by what i am saying, you will only use 40ml of solution and the minimal amount of overspray will stay in the tent.
airbrush machines /compressors do make a lot of overspray but the hvlp machines maximist truespray make very little
we were in a salon last week and the area rep for st tropez had told the owner that she should get 48 tans from a gallon using there machine ie 3.75 litres of solution.
from 3.75 litres of solution using the maximist you would get 90+ tans
there is a lot of waste and mist with the airbrush compressor systems they are simply not as cost effective and create more waste hence why you mention breathing the mist in ect

Its of no benefit to me to say this, the opposite in fact, there is so much more profit in selling the compressor and air brush and by pushing people into purchasing extractors
we have done mobile for years and lots of home demos ect without an extractor and never had any one complain of the tan being all over the place,
I have witnessed people using the same machinery set up incorrectly and there being clouds of overspray almost a haze in the room :irked:

Hiya

I have never used an extractor fan and I don't have overspray everywhere!! I use a Truespray machine and use about 40 - 50 ml of solution depending on size of client. When I have cleaned I have noticed a tiny and I mean tiny amount on my skirting board but nothing that would annoy me! I think if I was regularly doing tan parties of 3 or more I would probably purchase one. However, if u are just starting up then its a cost I personally believe u could do without. Unless you already have a customer base you may not be making as much money as you think you will be at first. I have been tanning for over a month now and I am told it is a quiet time of the year, I put my cards everywhere and set up a facebook site and I haven't really had that much interest. Dont get me wrong I am doing 3 - 4 tans a week but nowhere near as many as I thought. I too was thinking of getting an extractor but I am glad I didn't now! This is just my opinion.
Caroline xxx

I personally don't use an extractor fan either, however do agree with other posts that it does depend on the equipment and solution you use. Some solutions tend to be more airborne than others and this is entirely due to the formulation.

Extraction fans (depending on where they are located) will also draw any airborne solution up and/or around your room and overspray will settle everywhere rather than allowing any overspray to drop naturally to the ground.

Spraying fast and close to the body reduces overspray to an absolute minimum and also allows you to achieve more sprays per litre (or gallon as the case may be).

I've been spray tanning for over 9 years. When I first started out Extractors were so expensive (pushing the thousand pound mark) it just went beyond mine and many other ppls budgets. The spray tan damaged EVERYTHING! From the walls, to the carpet and ate its way through ALL electrical items in the room including a Sunbed!!! However this was in the day of the Airbrush which generally give off more overspray through out the room than the current HVLP Machines do.

I sometimes spray up to 30 people over a 4 hour time frame in a small hotel room and I still to this day do not use an extractor. I find the HVLP machine gives off so little overspray that even after a heavy session in the same room the sides and surfaces are tan free when I leave.

The problem with the question of extraction will go on several variables and will depend on each individual. For Example:

• Do you get a lot of overspray and are you noticing it on surfaces around the room?
  • Do you use the same room ALL the time?
  • Is there Air conditioning systems in the place you are working that will pick the overspray up and transfer the 'Mess' to every other room?
  • Can you afford to buy it straight away?
  • Do you inhale lots of spray tan solution so when you blow your nose its brown?
  • Is the room foggy during tanning?
  • And finally more important - Do you want to use an extractor fan???
Lots of things in beauty is personal choice. I personally don't use them as I have never had a problem with overspray with the current HVLP tan machines. I would have definitely have needed to have one when I used my Airbrush gun all day.

Whether you do or do not choose to use one is personal choice and not using one will not make you any less of a a professional. I have personally seen a surge in sales of Extraction units recently which I feel is more down to them being affordable now for most people.

Kate

If your technique is correct and you spray close to the skin with the gun set correctly over spray should be minimal.

That said we are in a professional sector and we should provide protection wherever possible to either our clients,ourselves as well as the environment were working in wherever and whenever possible.

Whilst spray tan solution is non toxic we are not fish :eek: and therefore our lungs much prefer to operate breathing in clean dry air.(ok maybe millions of years ago we were fish or was it chickens ?? but we've evolved considerably since then :eek::lol::lol:)

Extract modules are very cheap these days and light and portable so best to do things properly...or at least be seen to do things properly and offer as comfortable as possible treatment to the consumer...they are after all paying customers.

Invest and do it properly because if you dont your competitor sure as dam will :hug:

Latest posts

Back