Spray Tan Nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbird23

Reaction score
I had an awful experience yesterday, and just wanted to see if anybody else has had the same happen to them and what did you do about it.

I had a booking for a spray tan, new customer, never had a tan before and is a very very large lady. approx size 28-30

I trained with Sienna X, which I have to say is brills, but I have never sprayed such a large lady. I started with my normal routine, but it took lots of strokes and the lady's arms were still touching her sides when she was holding them out.....everything touched everything else and rubbed against something each time she moved, and had to keep re spraying in places.

She said she was soooo happy with it and couldn't wait for it to develop. all last night i was worrying like hell as she said she had a wedding today and I was dreading it being patchy, especially round the arms. I did text her this am to see if she was happy with the tan. she said she loved it.

Has anyone else sprayed a very large lady and do you have any tips, she said she would be coming back and i want to get it right without feeling so nervous

well done, you sounded totally professional. The main aim is to make your client feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible and take your time so you get the application right which you did. Even if it takes longer and there are extra positions for her to place herself in, dont worry, Im sure she felt you were being as helpful and caring as possible.
With regards to positions; could your lady of placed her arms above her head pressing her palms together? this enables a good spray under arms, down side of body/across back or for her to bring her arms round to the front palms together with her back to you.
Also from behind little things like getting her to tip to left and right lifting arms if neccessary helps with access to her back and tilting forward from her hips means you can tan just under the bottom/tops of legs,if you dont like to use the back/side of your hand (with gloves)! to lift bum cheeks ask her to lift her knee as if climbing a step.
Also standing side on to you, lifting arm you can use same method with hand to lift bust Ive also done this on a larger stomach, no one ever minds - just keep talking to a certain extent this reassures them and helps them to relax. Obviously dont over do colour opt for an 8 or 10% which you cant go wrong with.
Stood sideways on lifting the chin up helps the neck area and asking them to push sholders down helps the sholder area.
With feet I ask them when facing me to point toes like a ballet dancer to stretch out the skin around the ankle/top of foot area, this can also be repeated when side on to you to help the skin on side of foot and heel area. Bending both knees whilst facing you or lifting each leg in turn as if climbing a step helps you to tan the legs/ knees easier.
I tan a fair few big and beautiful ladies and where the skin is folded I tend to spray very lightly into those areas first using back of hand if neccessary to open skin out, its best this way otherwise if you just tan all the area around it sometimes you many then disturb that tan when tanning more tricky areas.
All the best anyway you sound very pro and calm about it, and im sure she appreciates you time and attitude.

I had an awful experience yesterday, and just wanted to see if anybody else has had the same happen to them and what did you do about it.

I had a booking for a spray tan, new customer, never had a tan before and is a very very large lady. approx size 28-30

I trained with Sienna X, which I have to say is brills, but I have never sprayed such a large lady. I started with my normal routine, but it took lots of strokes and the lady's arms were still touching her sides when she was holding them out.....everything touched everything else and rubbed against something each time she moved, and had to keep re spraying in places.

She said she was soooo happy with it and couldn't wait for it to develop. all last night i was worrying like hell as she said she had a wedding today and I was dreading it being patchy, especially round the arms. I did text her this am to see if she was happy with the tan. she said she loved it.

Has anyone else sprayed a very large lady and do you have any tips, she said she would be coming back and i want to get it right without feeling so nervous
Why are you so nervous? You've obviously done a fab job and the client said she'll be back to you.
I spray my best friend every week without fail and she is also on the larger side. I just get her to move as I need her too to get into the creases. I also sometimes blend areas eg under the arm with my mitt before drying her. Don't worry about it, I bet when she comes back the next time you won't be so nervous :D x

Thank you so much ladies for your tips, I will def try them out in future sprays

I'm not quite sure why I was nervous, probably because I wanted to make sure It was done right and that she looked & felt lovely today, and a bit of not being confident that I was getting her in the best positions.

Its always a learning curve ;-)

Sounds like you did really well! As long as you cover every part of her body. You'll should be fine! I get them to put their arms above the head palms touching this gets tummy and under bust I say it like it's part of it and I do it for everyone. I guess she was nervous getting her kit off in front of you and like everyone who has a tan felt much better about herself after! And trusts you to do it again. She must have felt comfortable with you and is likely to book with you again rather than someone else! A Tan does wonders! bet she felt amazing today all dressed up and bronzed!

What about using powder for those creased areas? Not that i've done it myself but am keen to try it after reading about it somewhere??

Latest posts

Back