Spray Tanning - Sticky Feet too sticky!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
Ideally, I would prefer to use sticky feet when doing spray tanning. However, the supply I have are just too sticky. They seem to stick so much to clients feet and clients end up trying to pick off bits left behind.

Are some brands of sticky feet better than others or is there a secret I don't know about?

I know I could use a piece of couch roll or kitchen roll, etc, but I would prefer to use sticky feet so long as the clients could remove them with ease.

Thanks all! x

christine

i have, sorry HAD, the same problem and have use a couple of brands ... a solution ...

i place a couple of moisturiser options (solar silk and a scentsation lotion) on my desk by their cap etc and before i leave them to change suggest they put a tiny amount on the soles of their feet prior to standing on the sticky feet ! TINY TINY AMOUNTS !!! or they wont stick at all lol :eek:

works a treat babe, PLUS fabulous retail awareness opportunity ... increased sales !

kx

This is a real problem and a bit of a dilemma for the producers of these wonderful devices....to little adhesion and..well off they come...to much and well your customer sticks to the floor :eek:

The best thing is to try a few different brands and hopefully you will find the right one :hug:

Thanks Karren - good to see you geeking and great advice as always! Hope all is good with you xxx:hug:

Thanks Collin too for your feedback xxx:hug:

Thanks Karren - good to see you geeking and great advice as always! Hope all is good with you xxx:hug:

Thanks Collin too for your feedback xxx:hug:

Pleasure...how the heck are you these day's :hug:

Put a towel in the bottom of the tent - apply barrier cream to the soles of the clients feet ~ problem solved!

Sticky feet = waste of time & money!

Put a towel in the bottom of the tent - apply barrier cream to the soles of the clients feet ~ problem solved!

Sticky feet = waste of time & money!

I agree a towel does work ...however the provision of sticky feet to customers does indeed show that a therapist is not cutting back on costs ...many many customers expect no more...

Indeed if you charge the right amount for the treatment the provision of the solution,thongs and or sticky feet is in real terms insignificant to the return on the charge for the service provided :hug:

Pleasure...how the heck are you these day's :hug:

I'm great thanks Collin! In the midst of opening up a salon. Exhausted but excited. Will post some pics soon xx:hug:

I'm great thanks Collin! In the midst of opening up a salon. Exhausted but excited. Will post some pics soon xx:hug:

Well done you :hug: look forward to seeing the pictures..whens the big opening day?

Never used them ~ never will!! Its one of those things invented that didnt need to be ~ bit like a chocolate fireguard :green:!

Never had a problem with tanning the soles of feet with the barrier cream method its not about cutting corners or charging the client more to cover the cost of something they don't actually need!

Sticky feet are overpriced and over rated and you get the 2 problems too sticky/not enough sticky lol!

Although I have thousands in stock to sell, I don't seem to sell any :eek:! Wonder why lol!!!

Kate x

Have been spray tanning for over 4 years and have never used sticky feet. Never had a problem with tanned soles and never had a customer accuse me of being a skinflint. I agree with Kate.

I also don't use them, although I did buy some. They are reusable ones, which you wash in your washing machine and spray with sanitising spray and apparently the cleaning reactivates the sticky bit. Good for the environment as they aren't disposable.
Haven't used them though so can't really comment on how good they are.
I just use a towel and have never had anyone get orange feet x

I wouldn't be without sticky feet. They're quick, easy and hygienic, do a great job and at around 35p per client I'm completely comfortable in providing them as part of what I want to be a fabulous spray tan experience.

I get them from hair&beauty FX ltd - [email protected], Tel: 0208 997 4741 or their sister company www.afrohairandbeauty.co.uk. They're £16.50 for 50 pairs and are the spongey ones with just two strips of adhesive (rather than the cheaper paper-thin ones completely covered in tacky glue).

Never used them ~ never will!! Its one of those things invented that didnt need to be ~ bit like a chocolate fireguard :green:!

Never had a problem with tanning the soles of feet with the barrier cream method its not about cutting corners or charging the client more to cover the cost of something they don't actually need!

Sticky feet are overpriced and over rated and you get the 2 problems too sticky/not enough sticky lol!

Although I have thousands in stock to sell, I don't seem to sell any :eek:! Wonder why lol!!!

Kate x

Setting aside individuals perspective of this product for a moment it may be worth considering two further factors

1) Statistics show that the demand for sticky feet is considerably on the up.
A conservative estimate from our perspective is that we supply enough solution for on average around 30,000 spray tan applications each and every week.

Somewhere in the order of 20% of these customers purchase sticky feet compared to around 10% last year....

Taking a wild guess this represents only a very small percentage of the UK's consumption ....so we are talking of a serious number of end user customers opting to use these things.

Looking at the stats I suspect next year will see a further significant rise..particularly as consumer awareness grows and product costs continue to reduce due to the increased demand.

2) Hygiene...a spray tan area..be it fixed or mobile... is an ideal breeding ground for all manner of fungal nasties and acts as a good place for the passing on of these conditions to those that choose to step into and out of them.

If you take a moment to look at the foot care section in a large Boots store around July/Aug (the busiest time for spray tanners)you will see an abundance of customers queuing up and picking up treatment potions for athletes foot :eek:

If you use a towel...do you wash it or put a new one out after every customer?

If you use barrier cream...who puts it on the customers feet...even if the customer does do they disinfect their hands before climbing into the tent/booth and go touching the sides ready for the next customer or you to touch or when spraying do you hold the customers hand out when applying solution to the arms?

Tearing a couch roll up and placing it on the floor for people to get all hooked up with when turning..is this also really cost effective and looks professional ?

Just some food for thought :hug:

Setting aside individuals perspective of this product for a moment it may be worth considering two further factors

A conservative estimate from our perspective is that we supply enough solution for on average around 30,000 spray tan applications each and every week.

Somewhere in the order of 20% of these customers purchase sticky feet compared to around 10% last year....

Taking a wild guess this represents only a very small percentage of the UK's consumption ....so we are talking of a serious number of end user customers opting to use these things.

Looking at the stats I suspect next year will see a further significant rise..particularly as consumer awareness grows and product costs continue to reduce due to the increased demand.

2) Hygiene...a spray tan area..be it fixed or mobile... is an ideal breeding ground for all manner of fungal nasties and acts as a good place for the passing on of these conditions to those that choose to step into and out of them.

If you take a moment to look at the foot care section in a large Boots store around July/Aug (the busiest time for spray tanners)you will see an abundance of customers queuing up and picking up treatment potions for athletes foot :eek:

If you use barrier cream...who puts it on the customers feet...even if the customer does do they disinfect their hands before climbing into the tent/booth and go touching the sides ready for the next customer or you to touch or when spraying do you hold the customers hand out when applying solution to the arms?

Tearing a couch roll up and placing it on the floor for people to get all hooked up with when turning..is this also really cost effective and looks professional ?

Now that's what I wanted to say but wasn't articulate enough ......

Now that's what I wanted to say but wasn't articulate enough ......

I always find a glass (or two) helps...opps is it a bit early :eek::lol::hug:

I use the tanning sheets, they can be used for more than 1 client as the solution is absorbed into the sheet so client can move feet around and as yet had no complaints of orange feet!!!

You only sell what you scare people into buying ~ Some of us don't use them, some do ~ its personal choice ~ faced with the too sticky/not sticky enough and tripping hazards of them ~ its far safer to for go them!

Towels are used with every client, I think thats easier to clean and not create more waste for landfill! Tent gets washed out every day ~ floor gets mopped ~ client can only pick up what they have from elsewhere.

The customer applies it obviously ~ most clients (around 99%) are freshly showered so not much bacteria growth to be had ~ and why the heck will they touch the tent !?! There not salsa dancing in there ~ there being tanned. And I NEVER TOUCH THE CLIENT!

Yes sticky feet will reduce in cost but then quality is impaired also.

Its personal choice but then I feel they were created to solve a non existant problem and like a lot of products be sold simply off the back of a companies stock levels and bottom line figures.

If your taught to use sticky feet you will, therefore they will sell better as your telling people they need them and shouldnt tan without them.

Its not a fight for a political side its someone who wanted sticky feet that stayed on and were not too sticky where the client spends days trying to remove the residue from her feet.

In seven years I have never had a client get cross contaminated with anything they have picked up from me.

They are not essential ~ they are a luxury, and using them or not does not mean that one technician is any better than the next.

Those that have never used them ~ never will.

Those that are taught to use them will.

Like most things in life we follow the way we were taught.

Yes sticky feet will reduce in cost but then quality is impaired also.

Its personal choice but then I feel they were created to solve a non existant problem and like a lot of products be sold simply off the back of a companies stock levels and bottom line figures.

If your taught to use sticky feet you will, therefore they will sell better as your telling people they need them and shouldnt tan without them.

Its not a fight for a political side its someone who wanted sticky feet that stayed on and were not too sticky where the client spends days trying to remove the residue from her feet.

In seven years I have never had a client get cross contaminated with anything they have picked up from me.

They are not essential ~ they are a luxury, and using them or not does not mean that one technician is any better than the next.

Those that have never used them ~ never will.

Those that are taught to use them will.

Like most things in life we follow the way we were taught.

Lol...unfortunately market place statistics would not agree with your singular view point :hug:

Have you ever read the emporers new clothes?????

Latest posts

Back