Strange Requests from Clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fabulus Fingers,

In 5 years or so, she'll probably start having alsheimers (however u spell it) and she won't even remember that she asked u a thing like that! Bit of black humor there... :green: But seriously,when thinking about it, it very freaky been asked such a thing... oh! a question just popped in my head: if u decide to do it,will she pay u before or after she dies? :green: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: loool sorry can't help it!!! it just comes naturally....oh dear... i'd better log off before i say anything worse!!! hahahah

ciao

:hug:

My Mom has asked me if I would do her nails when she goes over on the other side..
and I feel very honored to have been asked to do it.. So of course I certainly will !!

Sincerely;
the nail fairy:Love:

Absolutely no way at all not no how never !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said this client is around 60? Does she have a terminal illness you know of? If not, it could be 10, 15, 20 or so years before she actually dies. You could say you may not even be doing nails by then.
I agree with the others though, if you're not happy about it, tell her now so she can arrange something else. She must think highly of you to have asked you in the first place. I think I would feel very honoured. Not sure I'd be able to do it though!

why not find someone to keep on standby for when the time comes people have hair and make up done when they pass over so why not?
she is obviously a proud woman who cares about the way she looks
a dead body is nothing to be scared of

I would have felt honoured to have been asked to contribute to this lady's last requests. If she stays a regular client then you would be doing her nails, theoretically right up till the day she dies anyway. So chances are that her last set will be done for her while she is still ALIVE. Especially if she dies from an illness then she can request that you come and see her before her passing.
I used to be a Careworker so understand how some people feel when they are terminally ill and trying to hold onto their dignity. I used to paint a lady's nails for her when other people wouldn't go anywhere near her and it used to give her so much pleasure for such a minimal effort on my part.

I feel a bit funny discussing the death of a lady who probably isn't going anywhere for ages. By then the whole situation could have passed for you anyway. Anything could happen but you should be honest with her about how you feel.

You could reply as I do.
"I'm sorry, but no. I prefer to remember friends and family as they 'were' as opposed to passed on as they never look like themselves."
This is my answer as to why I will NEVER EVER go near an open casket. But works as well if someone asks you to do their nails when they've 'gone'.

When my Nana passed, her casket was closed but my aunt insisted on opening it to put her fav flowers in with her. No one would go with her, so I did. I was 16yrs old. Never ever ever again. Now, I'm stuck with that image in my mind, of how she did NOT look like herself. I've recieved a lot of grief for this over the years, refusing to go into rooms where the casket was open. But I stand firm, and pay my respects once it's closed. Anyway, sorry, a bit o/t, but trying to explain.

Anyhow.. I understand that this is a sensitive topic for some, but let's have some sense of humour, shall we?
Death makes people nervous, and in some cases they make jokes of it to cover that. That's fine. No harm done. No one's trying to be mean or nasty or hurtful. Of course everyone wants to look nice when they 'go', and we all understand that and appreciate it.
But let's be honest, it really is a very strange request for someone to make of a nailtech. Makes me wonder if she asked her hairdresser a similar question.
I in fact was thinking the other day "what happens when MY day comes? hope my nails will be nice" and then I laughed at myself for such silliness since I want a closed casket anyway.:lol: :lol: (now that this thread has come up, I'm chuckling thinking ok, I'm not the only crazy person around hehe)

Don't apologize for asking for advice. It is a funny/odd question and a hard one to answer.
Try my answer. That way, no one's feelings are hurt.

hth's

Has anyone had any really strange requests from their clients? One of my clients who is in her 60's asked me to do her nails for her when she dies! I was speachless for a few minutes ( which is very unusual for me ). I made a few comments about never seeing a dead person, and said she would more than likely sit up and tell me if I was putting on a colour she did not like. She has mentioned it again at another appointment, so I know she is not kidding me.

Is she a regular client...then surely her nails will be ok already and might not need doing ....is she a manicure client or enhancements??
Never having thought about it I am not really sure whether it would bother me or not.

I'd be quite flattered and honoured to be asked. It wouldn't be easy but I'd def do it.
It's not the dead ones that are the trouble it's the live ones :eek: .

You've got me thinking now maybe I should get intouch with the local funeral directors I'd never get any complaints would I?? :confused: :lol:

Not unless of course..............later that night!!!..:Scared: .

No ,joking apart I'd love someone to do my nails when I'd died so why not?

T2T
X

Dead people are kinda freaky. I've seen a couple, my nan and a friend who was murdered. (as well as a couple or three more) on my travels. so from my own experience I wouldnt feel comfortable but wonder why they would want their nails done? no one would see them would they? most caskets are closed these days.

I know hair grows after you die and i suppose nails do as well so would she want infills/ reballance two weeks later??????? lol

also get the money before would be a good idea

i have had that request quite a few times.

the first one asked me to do it for her and i said of course. unfortunately, she died as the result of a car accident. it was a closed casket, so i didn't get to do them. after the funeral, her daughter told me she broke every nail. now i was uspet knowing she went to heaven without her nails done!

another customer was with Hospice and i went to her house to do her nails. she passed away 3 days later, but i thought, at least she went with her nails done. her daughter told me before the wake that she had smudged one! i showed up at the wake with the color polish she was wearing and we put it in the casket. we figured there had to be someone in heaven who could fix her smudge!

and, i did my mothers nails after she had passed away. i filled, filed and polished her nails. i even put on a design on her left ring finger. 3 shamrocks. one for her, one for my father, who passed 4 months before and for my 39year old sister in law, who passed away 3 years ago.
i also clipped and files her toe nails because when she was in the hospital, i told her i would do all of that when she came home.

after my mom, i would have no problem whatsoever doing it again!!
all you have to do is talk to them like they're still with you, because, they are!!

a picture of my moms nails are on my web site. My Nails Rock! hand jive, track 4 last picture on the right bottom.

no, it's not icky!!, but let me know if you like them.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

Yeah, it would be weird, but i'd do it. why deny a person whos full of life and grace to be denyed ther last request, don't see why her nails should look s**t when shes dead if they've always looked good when she was alive.

IF THATS WHAT SHE WANTS!:hug:

Sorry if this leaves a bad taste in your mouth!

Teri x:hug:

and, i did my mothers nails after she had passed away. i filled, filed and polished her nails. i even put on a design on her left ring finger. 3 shamrocks. one for her, one for my father, who passed 4 months before and for my 39year old sister in law, who passed away 3 years ago.
kathleen
My Nails Rock!

I think that is lovely Kathleen!

It is a difficult one, no-one can help the way they feel, so there is no right or wrong.

I have a long standing, or should i say long sitting, client who is in a wheelchair (she'd like that one!) Whose nails mean everything to her, although the subject has not been broached, it has crossed my mind, not that i am morbid or anything. I would hope that i would, if asked, be able to do that final something for her, that i know would've meant a lot. I think i may have to agree with Babs though and wear gloves, sorry if that sounds a bit nasty.

(It seems i to have had a similar experience to you Victoria.:cry:)

You said this client is around 60? Does she have a terminal illness you know of? If not, it could be 10, 15, 20 or so years before she actually dies. You could say you may not even be doing nails by then.
I agree with the others though, if you're not happy about it, tell her now so she can arrange something else. She must think highly of you to have asked you in the first place. I think I would feel very honoured. Not sure I'd be able to do it though!
no she doesn't have a terminal illness,although she did have a major heart attack a few years back. she is "fighting fit" and very active.I couldn't say I might not be doing nails as she knows how much I love doing them and hope to never stop.She is a regular who is alway on time etc ( I even do the odd break as a freebie) as she is a great client.
toni

well i have to say i want my nails looking lovely when i pass over to the other side ...so i can totally see where your client is comming from !
my nana passed away in march..i so wanted to paint snowman nail art on her nails because she abserloutly LOVED them ..
she passed away from cancer and in the last few months i really bonded with her i used to go sit with her just us, and paint her nails and she showed them off to anyone and everyone who came into her house..but the snowmen with a lilac background and snowflakes were her abserloute favorite...
i really wanted to do them for her ,but didnt ask anybody as i worried they might find it disrespectfull.
i wish id have asked her before she went!
i dont see anything wrong with this request,and i would be honered but i could do this for just any client..only someone i was really close to im afraid...and i actually wish i didnt feel this way as im sure there would be some buisness in it to be honest :lol:

i think i would do it for almost anyone. after all, if it's one of their last requests, how could i say no.
and as for gloves, i didn't wear any. vinny, my favorite mortician (?!) said not to worry about it, i wasn't concerned anyway. besides the fact it was my mother, it is a very calming feeling to be in the room with her.
a woman who has done my moms hair for 25 years did her hair, she asked me is she could do it, she'd never done that stuff before either.
for my mom, i put on most of her makeup, her knee-highs and blue satin high heels to go with her blue dress (the one in the picture on my web site, her hair was the same too!), because "a lady doesn't take her shoes off at a party for dancing!" so, she was dancing with Dad by then, she needed them!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

What the?????
Come on you have to smile she must be nuts,you should tell her and be honest I am sure she would understand if you didnot want to do it!

I understand if this is something you dont feel comfortable with but yes you must be honest with her and tell her politely that you would be unable to do them, myself i would see this as a great honour and would be willing to do anyones nails after they have passed but i draw the line at the following 2wk rebalance:hug:

If she has regular infills and maintenance if the worst thing happens surely they would be looking good?

i would think so too.. i doubt her nails will keep growing after she dies..

Latest posts

Back