Strut Your Stuff Comp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmad

Reaction score
I know its ages away yet but I wondered if anyone else was. I've never taken part in any kind of competition before so I thought I might enter this year.

I will also participate this year.
Good luck.

emmad said:
I know its ages away yet but I wondered if anyone else was. I've never taken part in any kind of competition before so I thought I might enter this year.

how thick am i??? What is this competition- doh!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

what comp is this - where is it held? xx

Checkout the beautytech website, all the entry info etc is there. Its an online competition.
hth

emmad said:
Checkout the beautytech website, all the entry info etc is there. Its an online competition.
hth

Just been on there but couldn't find it do you have a direct link to the page please?

I would love to enter this year, will have to see.

Its also advertised in Professional Nails this month. Ive never entered one before but am considering entering the photographic comp if I can find the confidence to.

it sounds good im going to have a look

I entered it a few years ago with fibreglass and it was brill... the judges feedback was sent to me via email including a scoresheet and a nice little certificate, I got 9th place and was dead chuffed, this was my first ever competition..it is a geat introduction into the comping world as you get to do it at you own pace, just make sure you do a good step by step and take very clear pictures..
Go for it babe its great fun xxx

Attachments

• Ruth Fordham1.jpg
    Ruth Fordham1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 75
I'm too afraid of failure

don't be afraid to fail, think of it as a learning experience anyway your nail art is s*** hot:)

i got a second place last year and bagged $500 worth of prizes. i have to go in a senior category this year, so it wont be easy.

Nafia said:
I'm too afraid of failure
Dont think like that Nafia ... even if you do fail who is going to know unless you tell them! :wink2:
First comp I ever entered was an 'inhouse' comp (Calgel) & I won. This gave me the bug so next I entered 'Strut' but, having won the Calgel comp meant I had to go straight in with the big boys. I was placed miserably, I sulked for 10 minutes then reread the judges comments, took them on board & moved on.
I then entered the photographic at Prof Beauty & came second. I learn from every competition I enter.
My advice is to look at previous winners to get an idea of what the judges look for in different competitions.

Thanks, I've been checking out whos been winning/placed/entered from geekdom and noticed a few familiar names. Like Ruth (for whom 9th is not high enough!!!)said I think it would be a good starting point for me. I need loads of practise so I've lined up half a dozen models for me to work on over the next couple of months.

Its the photgraphy I'm concerned about. Those who have entered before, did you get a pro to take the pics?

I've read the rules etc so I should be OK, will be entering the junior enhancement section - wont be going anywhere near the nail art comp!

emmad said:
Its the photgraphy I'm concerned about. Those who have entered before, did you get a pro to take the pics?

I entered two years ago and received great feedback plus lots of goodies in the mail from the sponsoring companies. I didn't get a pro to take the pics - and probably would have placed higher had my pics been clearer. I can't stress enough how good the pics should be. If you have a decent camera it shouldn't be a problem. Mine wasn't at the time but I have a much better one now (Nikon Coolpix 4600)

You can also check out previous years' competitions to get some creative ideas for pictures.

HTH and Good Luck ! It's a great experience :)

Laura

Ive never used a pro to take any of my pictures.
There are pretty good cameras on the market these days ... and theyre getting cheaper all the time.
As well as practicing on your models, Id suggest practicing taking pictures of your own nails, or anybodies nails in the meantime, just to get comfortable with the camera. Basically to make your pics more likely to impress, you want to be able to see the clarity of the nails and those sharp smile lines.

Latest posts

Back