Stylist asked me to discount my price so her client wouldn't go to a discount salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive been a licensed nail tech for 3 months working in a hair salon. Today I had a client ask me how much would I charge for a full set of P & W? told her $40 then she asked me was nail art included with that and I said my nail art is $3 per nail so she asked me what could she get for $25 i said to her my full sets are $30 and for $25 she could get a mani with a french or mani with nail art so her stylist called me over and asked me what can I do for her so she wouldnt go to the discount salon? I stood ther for a minute asked her client what service was she really trying to get she said a full set with art on 2 nails. I compromised for $30. Im really pissed off cus Ive been working here for 3 months and has ran specials every month and she had the nerve to ask me to discount my price.

what would you have done in this situation?

Last edited:
Ouch tricky one you were really put on the spot!

I would have done the nails (cause im gullible and its money at the end of the day). I would say as in intro offer then this one time I will do them for this price but next time it will be full price. If she tries it on again tell her you cannot afford to do it so cheaply as your products are high end.

I would also have considered standing my ground and explaining why I am more expensive than the cheaper salons then allow her to make her choice.

I would have a quiet word with you landlady and ask her not to offer discounts unless however she has agreed to do a special with you. I.e wash and blow dry and manicure etc.

From this you gained $30 so look on it on the positive side. Its better than sitting there for an hour doing nothing and she may recommend you from this too or even come back and pay full price as she has had a decent set of nails!

You just never know many situations surprise me!

xx

I wouln't have done it! I'm sure the products you use is a good one, right? Not cheap MMA!

What I would have done is explained that your products are of an extremely high standard, therefore they cost more than the NSS ones. I would have also (I always have this on hand) given the prospective client an information sheet on MMA and an information sheet on my product.

Then later, when the client left, would have had a quiet word to the hairdresser to explain that what you are doing may seem (to the untrained eye) to be simple, but in fact is an art and she should respect your business as you respect hers!

When this wowan returns you will have to stick to your guns and explain that you have a living to make and your product TOTALLY outweighs the other cheap inferior stuff! (be strong girl....)

Last edited:
Lets back up for a min. When the stylist ask you this about a discount for a client was the stylist running a special that day? Do you and the stylist often run specials together?

See this is called miscommunication on the stylist and nail tech.

I know times are hard. Trust me I do. As a nail tech you could had clearly told her sorry mam today is not for any type of specials. Either she would had paid or walk. Going to tell you what I would had done. I would pull that stylist over to the side to get information on that client. IS that client a repeater and do she tip. See when you get clients like that its time to pull out the referral card. Lets say each client refer 5 new clients to get maybe free nail art or something. Its like a catch. What I am saying is if that client like discount then use her as a marketing tool to help bring you new clients.

Can you explain how the salon is run. Do you pay boothrent like the stylist do or are you on commission? Maybe if the salon owner or the manager could have where both the stylist and the nail tech can both have specials on the same day. That way there will be no confusion.

No No No ................ I take it you have a price list .... Stick to it...

Does the stylist run on an auction basis???? I bet not !

the stylist is the owner and my hairstylist shes not charging be booth rent yet and we had just ran a special together bak in august. The client was her niece so im quite sure shes a repeat how often im not sure but all I know is that I have a business to run and I use nothing but the best products

the stylist is the owner and my hairstylist shes not charging be booth rent yet and we had just ran a special together bak in august. The client was her niece so im quite sure shes a repeat how often im not sure but all I know is that I have a business to run and I use nothing but the best products

Tbh, if the client wasn't a relative then of course I would stick to my guns and charge what you are asking, then again it could work in your favour. Do you get discounts for your hair or do your relatives? If the answer is yes then hey, happy days, if the answer is no, then there is your answer, stick to your prices.

hth :)

Lets see the stylist is also the owner and the discount person was the neice. Oh I get it. Are you sure they didnt do a test run on you by the way? I know you are piss but take a deep breath and smile for a min. Maybe the stylist wanted her neice opinion on your work and to see how good you are.

You are in Michigan right the land of the outragous hairdos and nails. Since this person is the neice and depending on her lifestyle and since you know she is a repeater. Why not go to the owner and work out a deal with her and the neice. I know it sound like some BS but in the end it could work out for you and the owner. Another thing since you are not paying booth rent yet take all the marketing/advertising you can get. I say work the neice make her your advertising bill board. If she is a young lady get her to refer her friends to you.

I always tried to think positive instead of negative.

Thats all ok, but be careful that the floodgate doesnt open....Here is my neice, here is my sister, mother & auntie...

You have prices for a reason ......

You need to decide who you are willing to give discount to as this could all too easily lead to you giving away your work too cheapy.....

I know that you want to get your work out there but discount is not always the way..

Thats all ok, but be careful that the floodgate doesnt open....Here is my neice, here is my sister, mother & auntie...

You have prices for a reason ......

You need to decide who you are willing to give discount to as this could all too easily lead to you giving away your work too cheapy.....

I know that you want to get your work out there but discount is not always the way..

Totally agree, but if it got as daft as that then you'd have to say no way, I was just talking about the niece iykwim :hug:

Yeah i understood you fi lol

Im just thinking ahead, you know how these things can go..

I don't give my own family a discount so i would not be giving her family a discount, business is business, hth :hug:

I would not have done it !! Lets not forget YOU are your own boss.....so YOU make decisions on discounts or special offers.

I bet if she wen to a shop she wouldn't have asked about a discount...just paid the price.

If she comes in again and askes tell her it was a one-off.

When you do these types of exceptions for one customer, then you're opening that door to other customers. Trust me, the word will spread that you're prices are "negotiable", even though that can be far from the truth!
As one nail tech once told me "Your price list is reflective of what you think your work is worth. When you begin to discount your prices, YOU are devaluing your own work..." I offer monthly specials, but it's to help build my clientel. Once that happens, trust me, their will be NO FREEBIES". Only rewards to show appreciation :)

Latest posts

Back