Tanning for Stage production help..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K's tanning

Reaction score
Okay I'm in need of some suggestions. I've been booked to spray the operatic society for their production of 'La Belle Helene' and they all need a dark tan (darker than natural as the stage lights will dull any tan they have)
I use Sienna x at present and haven't turned anyone even vaguely orange, and don't wish for this to be the first time! lol!
Anyway, what i need to know is, If I spray with the darkest solution I think their skin can take (8.5-10%), is it going to be dark enough? or do I bite the bullet and spray them all really dark (12.5-16%)and cross my fingers?
I can't afford to get this wrong as the advertising potential will be fantastic.
I will be spraying between 10 & 30 clients 36hrs before the production and they are hoping the colour will last throughout (3rd-7th March)
I know aviva labs do a 'stage tan' but this washes off and it doesn't contain DHA and I know they don't want spraying every night, so I don't think this is an option.
So come, any advice, suggestions etc, greatly appreciated.
K

I use sienna x also, and a lot of my clients have 10 / 12 % even without doing stage work. None of them go orange, just very dark! I would personally just go for it but explain before you do it that they will be very dark.

If you still worried, contact sienna x and ask their opinion, they very helpful and have done lots of stage type work.

The results will all depend on the natural skin tone of each client,
if you spray someone who is milk bottle white with a 16% for example then this will give the skin a DHA overload which invariably ends up an orange tone,
you will have to assess each client just as you would in the salon,
im sure sienna will have taught you the guide for each skin tone, hth :hug:

Also surely its best to play it safe and tan with a lower % then if its not dark enough top it up??

If this is of any help (as I'm not a skin geek), I was in a production once where we all had to be tanned as we were playing Puerto-Ricans (It was West Side Story btw), and we all looked like chocolate backstage, and pale on stage. I'd say go as dark as you can. However, they should be having stage make-up on their faces under the lights so this will darken them up too. Hth-x

Okay I'm in need of some suggestions. I've been booked to spray the operatic society for their production of 'La Belle Helene' and they all need a dark tan (darker than natural as the stage lights will dull any tan they have)
I use Sienna x at present and haven't turned anyone even vaguely orange, and don't wish for this to be the first time! lol!
Anyway, what i need to know is, If I spray with the darkest solution I think their skin can take (8.5-10%), is it going to be dark enough? or do I bite the bullet and spray them all really dark (12.5-16%)and cross my fingers?
I can't afford to get this wrong as the advertising potential will be fantastic.
I will be spraying between 10 & 30 clients 36hrs before the production and they are hoping the colour will last throughout (3rd-7th March)
I know aviva labs do a 'stage tan' but this washes off and it doesn't contain DHA and I know they don't want spraying every night, so I don't think this is an option.
So come, any advice, suggestions etc, greatly appreciated.
K

Wow what an opportunity for you and a difficult call to make...if you apply to low a % they could be disappointed however it would be unlikely they would be disappointed with a higher % as you say the stage lights will dull the colour down...so maybe worth going for it.

I guess the problem with applying a lower % is that there is no way of really testing under the stage lights before the event??

Just as a thought why not offer them a shimmer gel which they can apply just before the show which may help to reflect the stage lights and show the tan better???

Cheers for that Colin, not a bad idea and I will definately have some available and suggest it to them on the day. I'm hoping that I will get a chance to see them under the stage lights, as they have a rehearsal on the day I'm spraying. (Plus I would like to get permission to take some photos for my website)
I will also be offering the top up moisturiser, so if they do find it starting to fade too early, they can use that. I think I will also offer my services at a reduced rate for half way through production for anyone needing a top up.
I'm going to have a practice run on some guinea pigs this week with the darker solutions to see just how dark they come out on lighter skins.
Thanks everyone.
K

Good luck and do keep us posted ..oh and remember..sell,sell,sell :hug:

Cheers for that Colin, not a bad idea and I will definately have some available and suggest it to them on the day. I'm hoping that I will get a chance to see them under the stage lights, as they have a rehearsal on the day I'm spraying. (Plus I would like to get permission to take some photos for my website)
I will also be offering the top up moisturiser, so if they do find it starting to fade too early, they can use that. I think I will also offer my services at a reduced rate for half way through production for anyone needing a top up.
I'm going to have a practice run on some guinea pigs this week with the darker solutions to see just how dark they come out on lighter skins.
Thanks everyone.
K

Hi why dont you take your g/ pig with you to rehearsal and see what
they look like under stage lights before you spray others

I spray my sister who is a red head in 12% and it doesnt in no way come out orange. But this is my sis i can afford to take a chance.
Personally i would spray them with a colour slightly darker to what they need.
It's a hard one hun but im sure you will get it right
Wish you lots of luck xxx

Hi why dont you take your g/ pig with you to rehearsal and see what
they look like under stage lights before you spray others

I like your thinking, may well do that. Or get my husband to spray me and then I don't need to take someone else with me!

Latest posts

Back