Text type!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guilty of not using correct grammar, punctuation and paragraphing.
I do try my hardest but my problem is knowing when to finish a paragraph, and when to start another.
I do hate text talk though, it takes me far longer to fathom what is being written so I dont read it.
I type how I talk....too damm quick :lol:

I'm pleased this has been brought up.

I personally hate text speak and never use it on my phone. I think it shows me up to be 'old fashioned' when i text my daughter or clients who use it, but i don't care.

It seems harder work trying to work out how to use text speak than using proper English!! I can't see the point of it.

As for it being used on this site, as soon as i see a post with it in, i switch off and do not feel inclined to respond to it as i feel that it's disrespectful towards us 'older people' and it irks me!

Anyway, that's my twopenneth!

I'm pleased this has been brought up.

I personally hate text speak and never use it on my phone. I think it shows me up to be 'old fashioned' when i text my daughter or clients who use it, but i don't care.

It seems harder work trying to work out how to use text speak than using proper English!! I can't see the point of it.

As for it being used on this site, as soon as i see a post with it in, i switch off and do not feel inclined to respond to it as i feel that it's disrespectful towards us 'older people' and it irks me!

Anyway, that's my twopenneth!

I think it's disrespectful to everyone including the site itself.

Yes Gigi, I agree.

I am guilty of not using correct grammar, punctuation and paragraphing.
I do try my hardest but my problem is knowing when to finish a paragraph, and when to start another.
I do hate text talk though, it takes me far longer to fathom what is being written so I dont read it.
I type how I talk....too damm quick :lol:

I usually judge when a new paragraph is needed after the fourth or fifth line, or if the subject changes.

With regard to the text type.. Not only is it longer to read but it would take me far longer to type believe it or not. Because I would have to look at the keyboard whilst I was typing! LOL

At last, someone who gets as fed up as I do with all this abbreviation of words!

I have never used 'text type' when I'm sending texts to people I know well, let alone when I am writing for others who I don't know that well.

As for paragraphs, they just make reading something so much easier!

As a primary school teacher and parent, it really irks me to see the way the use of the English language (written) has disintegrated over the past few years.

The media doesn't help much at all either. And oh, how annoyed do I get when I see an apostrophe used incorrectly! :irked:

Don't kill me for using you, but just to point out what I am talking about.

You took the thoughts right out of my head!:lol:

Just a "for your information" - if you find your spell checker is in English (US), you should be able to click a couple of buttons and change it to English (UK) - doesnt take long and solves most problems.

And oh, how annoyed do I get when I see an apostrophe used incorrectly! :irked:

You know when I correct thread titles for spelling I think the apostrophe in the wrong place - or not having an apostrophe at all when there should be one - is what I correct more than anything else! That and the lack of question marks!

You know when I correct thread titles for spelling I think the apostrophe in the wrong place - or not having an apostrophe at all when there should be one - is what I correct more than anything else! That and the lack of question marks!

It's (it is) also when you see it on shop signs...

'Marys nail shop' instead of 'Mary's nail shop'
(i.e. the nail shop belonging to Mary).​

Call me anal (as in retentive) but one little piece of punctuation makes a wealth of difference; it also says a lot about the type of business you're running.

See if you'd catch Bill Gates (Microsoft man) or Richard Branson, allowing any of their business advertising getting through without being meticulously checked for all kinds of grammatical and punctuation errors.

Some Geeks may not compare themselves at this level - and that's fair enough - but it really doesn't cost anything to make the effort.

Maybe our resident English teacher, connoisseur, would be so kind as to post a little fool proof rule for when to make a new paragraph????? It might help some people ... guess we're never to old to learn eh?

I'm a stickler for correct grammar and am constanly checking my daughter's homework even after Colin has because he is never sure where the commas and apostrophes etc. go, and it drives me mad:irked:

So for someone like me that has tried to download the spell check (but can't) what can I do ?!?

Maybe our resident English teacher, connoisseur, would be so kind as to post a little fool proof rule for when to make a new paragraph????? It might help some people ... guess we're never to old to learn eh?

Okay, in a nutshell:

A paragraph is a group of sentences that deal with one idea or topic. Paragraphs make long pieces of writing easier to read and understand.

Therefore everytime you start writing about something new (have a new idea), you should start a new paragraph; just like I've just done. This helps readers to know when you've moved on to something new.

Hope this makes sense. (another new paragraph as it's a new idea!:lol: :lol: )

This may seem obvious to some, but a bit of revision never hurt anyone.:)

Okay, in a nutshell:

A paragraph is a group of sentences that deal with one idea or topic. Paragraphs make long pieces of writing easier to read and understand.

Therefore everytime you start writing about something new (have a new idea), you should start a new paragraph; just like I've just done. This helps readers to know when you've moved on to something new.

Perfectly explained.. better than my explanation anyway! LOL

:green:

Does a Primary School Teacher have a specific subject like English or do they briefly icover every subject? (just wondered) :)

By the way.. I noticed that the Sky News Team had mispelt 'Australia' on the bulletin the other day when talking about the cricket. That got my back up.. how unprofessional!

We don't use the word 'chav' in Canada. I had never heard of the word before joining this site, and only 'guessed' at it's meaning.
I'm still not 100% clear, but I think I understand it now

:lol:

CHAV is supposed to stand for 'Council House And Violent'... if you look at some of the kids around 13 - 18 (my son is 14)... many wear nothing but Addidas tracksuit bottoms, hoodies, trainers etc and they plaster hair gel on their hair and comb their fringe 'bangs' down onto their forhead! Funny thing is ALL kids wear tracksuit bottoms, trainers and hoodies to hang out (even when I was 16) just different makes I guess and different hairstyles.

CHAV's also took the Burberry signiture check (colours of beige, red and black) and wore hats, scarves etc to death cheapening the brand so much, that they had to come out with Burberry Prosum to get people (who Burberry considered their type of client) to continue buying!!

I think it is a usual phase and although it sounds naff and I wouldn't personally like to be called a CHAV... there will be a new name soon enough - I still wouldn't wear the Burberry check though, not at all - that really has been ruined! :rolleyes:

CHAV is supposed to stand for 'Council House And Violent'... if you look at some of the kids around 13 - 18 (my son is 14)... many wear nothing but Addidas tracksuit bottoms, hoodies, trainers etc and they plaster hair gel on their hair and comb their fringe 'bangs' down onto their forhead! Funny thing is ALL kids wear tracksuit bottoms, trainers and hoodies to hang out (even when I was 16) just different makes I guess and different hairstyles.

CHAV's also took the Burberry signiture check (colours of beige, red and black) and wore hats, scarves etc to death cheapening the brand so much, that they had to come out with Burberry Prosum to get people (who Burberry considered their type of client) to continue buying!!

I think it is a usual phase and although it sounds naff and I wouldn't personally like to be called a CHAV... there will be a new name soon enough - I still wouldn't wear the Burberry check though, not at all - that really has been ruined! :rolleyes:

the new name for calling people is now EMO as my daughter has told me, lol, aparently an emo is a cross between a chav and a goth,

CHAV is supposed to stand for 'Council House And Violent'....

I thought it was Council House Adult Vermin! Haha

well at least thats what the paper said it stood for. LMAO!:lol:

I nearly always leave out the question mark, because that button on my keyboard only works when it wants to.:irked:

Okay, in a nutshell:

How informative connoisseur....!!!

Great.. this thread has turned into a free english lesson... :)

Latest posts

Back