The Cheapening Of Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is some food for thought?

Let's say that a client develops an allergic reaction to Shellac and decides to sue you ( ie, those who are not using the complete Shellac sysytem)

Am I right in thinking that you would be sued personally as oppsed to CND having to take the wrap , as you have not followed the procedure as set out by the company ???

Slightly off topic, but ....
I remember when I was pregnant, my lab manager at the time insisted that I should carry out a task that involved using a chemical that could possible cause deformities in foetus.
I refused to do the task while I was pregnant , so he took me to a disciplinary as he thought I was making a big deal out of nothing.
We ended up having to go in front of a panel that included a doctor and lawyer, who asked him why he wanted me to carry on doing this task.
His reasoning was that he knew of many women in other labs who had been pregnant and had carried out the same task, and nothing had happened to their children.
As soon as the Doctor and Lawyer explained that if my child was born with, say a heart defect, whether caused by the chemical or not, and I took him to court, he would not have a leg to stand on and he would be imprisoned, fined and or lose his job. :eek:
Needles to say , he left me alone after that !!

I charge enough for Shellac as it is a top of the range product, it lasts brilliantly on fingers and toes and I am proud of my service. I do not want to come across desperate and charge next to nothing for a product I have invested alot of my money in. I totally ignore those who undercharge anyway as they soon disappear!

As to the lamps, well there must be a reason why the Shellac lamps were made at the same time as the product. I am sure that was not coincidence.

In all honesty I am fed up of those who think they know everything; whilst ignoring the facts and science behind it all. We all have to make a living in the industry. If it means that I will earn more to spend £xxx on a new lamp, then I will do it. It also means that I care about my clients by using the correct implements etc.

Purchase a light bulb fromt the 99p shop and one from a DIY store and let me know if there is a dfference.

Back to the original poster ..... I know what you mean but charge what you think your service is worth. You will attract the correct clientele by doing so. :)

Luckily I haven't noticed any salons near me drastically undercutting, I think everyone charges roughly the same.

When I first qualified about 8 years ago the spa I worked in started offering spray tanning and it was still fairly new then, clients paid £40 for it and there was no quibbling over the price as there wasn't anywhere else to go ! To think that people charge as little as £10 now is ridiculous all because of salons and therapists constantly undercutting and devaluing a service.

As for the lamp comment well heaven forbid any company develop something that is integral to the service just in case they are accused of ripping customers off. Can you imagine hair clients or anyone that uses shampoo refusing to buy the conditioner because its just a gimmick.

Back