The Cheapening Of Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsP

Reaction score
Well I just have to get geeks opinions on this...I am totally frustrated with the pricing that being adopted by salons for Shellac. For example in my area the 3 salons near me are doing Shellac for £17-£18. I charge £25 and £28 for toes, always have and always will - this is what we have been advised!

I am reliably informed that in the main from these cheaper salons the quality is poor, they fall off after a couple of days, either the lamp/genuine product is not being used, no PEP, no base coat :eek: to name but a few.

I am consistently using Shellac exactly how it should be and produce excellent, long lasting results. But am SO fed up with these places cheapening Shellac :mad:

£15 in my local one :lol:

:eek: Shellac is premium product. Why is it being reduced to this!!

I don't want customers who are only price orientated - as they will always be price orientated. I am proud to offer Shellac and do the treatment justice. I just don't get this at all...

If they are not using the CND or Brisa lamp, it's not Shellac. If not using base coat, genuine CND products, it's not Shellac. No PEP, not Shellac.

I think we have to educate our clients (same as when the discount salons started pawning off L&P with a gel top coat as GEL NAILS) that some salons are NOT doing the right thing.

I show my clients what the lamp should look like, what the Shellac bottles look like, etc. IF my client has to go somewhere else, they at least know what to look for.

Also, I do not advertise but if I did, I would state something to the effect: I am Shellac trained and only use the recommended lamp(s) along with GENUINE CND Shellac. Do not be fooled by the imitators.

On another note, it says something about CND's Shellac that all the wannabe's wanna be just like SHELLAC! :D

If they are not using the CND or Brisa lamp, it's not Shellac. If not using base coat, genuine CND products, it's not Shellac. No PEP, not Shellac.

I think we have to educate our clients (same as when the discount salons started pawning off L&P with a gel top coat as GEL NAILS) that some salons are NOT doing the right thing.

I show my clients what the lamp should look like, what the Shellac bottles look like, etc. IF my client has to go somewhere else, they at least know what to look for.

Also, I do not advertise but if I did, I would state something to the effect: I am Shellac trained and only use the recommended lamp(s) along with GENUINE CND Shellac. Do not be fooled by the imitators.

On another note, it says something about CND's Shellac that all the wannabe's wanna be just like SHELLAC! :D

I totally agree with you, I have recently designed my own website and have stated in it that there are other techs who claim to do Shellac but mix and match products, I have also stated that I am trained by CND in Shellac application.
I agree that it is up to us to educate our clients and I think for those of us who do Shellac by the book we should advertise it as such, otherwise we will all get clients going to other salons for a cheaper but more inferior service.

I, like you, have had friends /family tell me "so and so is doing Shellac for £18", But she doesn't include everything I do, just a paint and go !! For a mani plus Shellac she adds on £10 but I guess a lot of people are not proud enough to have their nails prepped well. I know I want my prep done properly , other wise what's the point of having Shellac on grubby looking nails !!

I charge £25 for a mini mani, include proper cuticle removal, (the way fingernail fixer has shown in her tutorial )french or colour , solar oil ,and mini hand massage and removal of previous gel or Shellac .

My God do I educate customers and I'm not short of customers - they know the sketch exactly and tell their pals so I get more customers etc...

My website is riddled with - I'm CND trained, Shellac trained...I even wrote a service guide to download and bang on about I use only the genuine lamp, etc...

I take solace from the fact that if the only advantage is price for them - then I'm doing alright:lol:

I don't use either and I provide a Shellac service that lasts for two weeks! The lamp is all just a gimmick to get you to spend loads more money. Other lamps do the same job and just by not using one doesn't mean your not doing a good job or mean 'it's not Shellac'

£14.00 for shellac near me..... dont know about the standard :(

I don't use either and I provide a Shellac service that lasts for two weeks! The lamp is all just a gimmick to get you to spend loads more money. Other lamps do the same job and just by not using one doesn't mean your not doing a good job or mean 'it's not Shellac'

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you and leave it at that.

That is good that your Shellac is lasting 2 weeks . But I think maybe it would last even longer if you did use the CND lamp.

I have only been doing Shellac a short while , and I am consistently getting 3 weeks and more out of it, which makes my clients/friends very happy as they want a comparable service to Bio Gel.:)

I agree with this, I don't use a lamp that says CND on it but use shellac as it should be used and my clients get 3 weeks out of them, and I'm creative trained. So I agree on the lamp subject.

There's an offer near me for shellac mani and pedi for £25 or a half price shellac manicure at £9. It's not affecting my business - I think we just attract different clientel!

I like the idea of making it clear on your website that you're CND trained - hope you don't mind but i'll be 'borrowing' that idea for my website over the weekend. Great idea!

A new salon has opened near me and is charging 12 for shellac. I dont offer shellac but i do minx and charge 20. They now offer it for 12. Im confused how they will make money tbh

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

That is good that your Shellac is lasting 2 weeks . But I think maybe it would last even longer if you did use the CND lamp.

I have only been doing Shellac a short while , and I am consistently getting 3 weeks and more out of it, which makes my clients/friends very happy as they want a comparable service to Bio Gel.:)

To be honest hun we have never left it on that long. They all just rebook in two weeks and I soak off and reapply. I will get them to try and see what happens x

Hi - I've seen businesses in my local area who advertise as Shellac, use CND / Shellac pictures to promote products but they're actually using Gellux!!! Made me so angry!!

I do agree with you all. I use Shellac, use all of the Shellac system correctly along with the lamp. Although I have not had Shellac training, I just faxed my nail qualification certificate, so where would I stand with that with regards to promoting myself as the real deal? x

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you and leave it at that.

You can choose to disagree with me because you can't back up what you are saying. Shellac is a product which if applied and doing the job correctly - is classed a Shellac service! If this is not the case why would CND not make you buy a lamp in order to provide the service?
Yes the lamp looks lovely but everyone who has bought it under these false claims that 'you need it for this product to work' are being sadly mislead and ripped off.

I think that's an unfair comment... your lamp may seem like it's curing the Shellac properly and that's great, but it doesn't mean that any lamp will work.

Other Nail Techs have proved this, by having terrible problems with their Shellac and when they purchased the lamp they had no more problems.

I had about 5 gel UV lamps before I invested in Shellac, so to be honest the last thing I wanted to do, was buy yet another lamp, but when the Company advised me that I needed the CND lamp to cure it I was happy as I had a vintage one, but I still went out and bought two new CND lamps.

When I was having a play with my Shellac for the first time, I used the colourpops and cured them in my other lamp from a completely different company and the Shellac didn't cure properly at all... honestly!

You could chance using a different lamp, but for me it's just not worth the gamble... why take the chance?

Just to add... Mrs Geek herself said in another post that she turned people away at the Beauty Show from buying Shellac because they wanted to purchase it without the CND lamp... now why would she do that if she was only out to make money and trying and rip people off?... I think the opposite is true.

Last edited:
The subject of the lamp has been to death on SG...
The Shellac Approved Salon Scheme will make you agree to use only Shellac product and the CND lamp. In fact if you go to the CND website and request to be listed as a provider you have to tick to agree to this and not to soak in bowls and not to file the natural file on top etc...

So those that don't wont be salon approved!

When our customers whom we have 'educated' about those salons not using the correct product/equipment ask those of you about it with their new wisdom - what are you going to say??:rolleyes:

Bring on the salon scheme for gawds sakes...

I too am going to disagree with you kylieb as I am well aware of the scientific facts behind curing/undercuring and the reason Shellac needs a CND lamp.
Perhaps do a search and read through some of the extensive discussion regarding the matter on many many threads relating to that subject and you may learn something should you choose to.
You also may not have to buy the lamp with the kit but you cant attend a class without one as we would not be able to certify that you are providing a correct Shellac service as you would not be without it.

Back on topic....

I am seeing more and more local to me people getting continually cheaper and I have to say its driving me nuts as it is also people who are using it correctly aswell.
I can only assume these people are against the idea of making decent money.
I think that if we all worked together we would all benefit. I have gone from being average priced to now looking expensive! There are an awful lot of people offering as little as £15.

Well said ChocPickle.. Glad it's not just me and a couple of others! I look expensive - which is fine as I attract a different type of client and they are loyal to me on the whole..

they tell me I'm great value for their £25 :biggrin:

Wouldnt get out of bed for £15 less overheads - what profit does that leave!!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back