The Cloud Nail Bar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could see how massage could work at the airport but not so much nails or waxing or anything that you would (as Geeg says ) get done before your trip!

I found this interesting food for thought I'd thought I'd share about the growing businesses in the states 10 min nails in the US has airport branches at JFK, Toronto and conneticut... with more opening at Miami etc...

Indagare® - Passion Points - Spa/Wellness - Airport Nail Salons & Spas - The next generation of travel wisdom™

It’s hard to find something positive to report about flying commercial in the U.S. these days, with a record number of canceled and delayed flights and unavoidable security hassles. But the new airport nail salons offer a productive way to kill the time that one undoubtedly has with the two-hour-in-advance check-in requirements. (Not to mention that, even though, I would always prefer to leave for a trip with freshly polished nails, I am never less likely to be able to squeeze in an appointment than in the days before I am heading out of town.)
I have now tried two of the new salons that have opened at New York airports this year: One at Newark called the d_parture spa in Terminal C and one at JFK, the 10:Minute Manicure in the new American Airlines terminal. I got lucky both times by getting an appointment before my flight after just walking in but I watched countless travelers being turned away once the slots filled up. Both salons are relatively small with only four to six aestheticians working at a time. If you think about the hundreds of passengers waiting for flights, it’s easy to see why. So I would advise making an appointment in advance. Chances are you will be through security an hour before your flight and if you don’t make it, there seem to be plenty of walk-ins and wait lists who will grab the slot so you can call and cancel if you’re delayed. The d_parture salon offers everything from highlights and waxing to kid’s haircuts. 10:Minute Manicure is, as the name implies, an express spa with a focus on nails only.
Tip: If you book a 10-minute manicure, don’t expect soaking and filing. It’s really more of a polish change. Same with the pedicure at 10:Minute Nails. All of their tools are sanitized and opened for each new customer but this is a fast-food version of a spa treatment. Its quick and sufficient but you get what you pay for in both time and money. My nails lasted three days before they started chipping not the week that a longer treatment can provide.

Where did that 'report' come from? I think it is a load of rubbish. jMHO

geeg
I feel like i'm ruffling your feathers, It's not my intention.
it's only one person's review the link is there - click it.
I'm interested in business and what works - this is proof is it not that it can succeed, at least in the US.
this is our industry, it's developing especially because of the technology.
You should be excited - there's an opportunity here - sure Alicante airport could use one too ;)

Don't virgin offer manicures/gel polish on their flights now? That could make for even less of the odd customer at the airport nail bars. Realistically I really can't see how a business could flourish on the basis of people just walking in on a whim. I'd steer clear if I was you.

geeg
I feel like i'm ruffling your feathers, It's not my intention.
it's only one person's review the link is there - click it.
I'm interested in business and what works - this is proof is it not that it can succeed, at least in the US.
this is our industry, it's developing especially because of the technology.
You should be excited - there's an opportunity here - sure Alicante airport could use one too ;)

You are not ruffling my feathers. That silly bit of writing by one person is certainly not proof of anything. Proof is in seeing it work and I have not seen nor heard (and trust me I would hear it) of any nail bars working sucessfully in airports in the US or anywhere else.

A 10 minute manicure is NO manicure, or a crappy manicure. The kind of woman who would spontaneously do that in an airport believe me will have nails that cannot be done in 10 minutes.

If we are advising people here on SG of how to be successful in business, then an airport nail bar is sure not the way to go. If you think it is such a great idea then you take your money and invest in it ... I wouldn't invest a penny of mine.

You forget that I have been approached by quite a few people over the years who were going to set the world on fire with their wonderful nail bars and franchises etc. .... Not one of them made it work! For 2 reasons ... Lack of demand and lack of good nail technicians who would work for them. Any really good nail technician is going to work for herself or a good salon ... And any average sensible woman going on holiday is going to have her nails done before going.

I see no business opportunity in that direction and certainly not in Alicante! So no I'm not the least excited by it because it been there and done that and failed many times in front of my eyes.
What is your interest in re-opening an old thread and flogging the idea? A good business opportunity, it is not. IMHO

Last edited:
I'm new on here so finding my way around at the moment, im considering training (with a friend) with nail harmony. I wasn't looking for anything in particular just picking up tips and advice - I've seen the advert for the job too - I was searching all kinda things.
I suppose I was surprised about the negativity at the beginning of the thread, and spent the evening questioning the validity of that type of business.
I quite enjoy good debate thank you and enjoy reading lots of different threads. I didn't intentionally dig up an old thread sorry am I only to read the fresh ones?

Hi Gelligirl, welcome to the site. No you can read and search for whatever you like.
You would be doing well to train with Nail Harmony. Gelish is the best (IMHO).
I have tried several types of soak off gel before selecting Gelish as my chosen one. I am sure someone else will pipe up and say that Shellac is better, but as I stated above it is my opinion that Gelish is better.
I love the colours, the texture, the ease of use, ease of application and most of all the staying power. ALL of my clients who wear it get minimum 2 1/2 weeks out of it and most get 3 weeks wear. If their nails didnt grow so fast, they would wear it even longer. Although, they do like to change their colours more often.

Welcome to SG Gelligirl!

Glad to read you're finding your way around. I always find it helpful joining a new forum to check out people's profiles to get to know everyone. We have a great group of professionals, educators, authors, session techs, techs to the stars, and moguls in the nail industry! In fact, we have one member on this site that happens to be all those! :D. I hope you enjoy getting to know us. :)

Anyone think Geeg reminds them of
Judge Judy ?
Love them both.... They both should run the country ;)

No pissing about

Anyone think Geeg reminds them of
Judge Judy ?
Love them both.... They both should run the country ;)

No pissing about

Ever read what's under my name next to my avatar, Marion? Lol. I'm known as judge Gigi!! Very Flattered really because I really admire her and the fact that no one gets anything over on her and she knows her own worth and doesn't 'soft soap' or hold back. Maybe that all does sound a little familiar. :)

I can't stand 'messers' and I can't waste my time on stupidity (pointing no fingers, before anyone decides to take offense) but I'll work all day long and night to help someone who has a genuine ambition in this business of ours and who shows some 'smarts' because those are really the only ones in whom I have an interest and coincidentally, they are also the only ones who are ever going to make it in this business. I have no interest in parasites!

Happy Sunday. Have a great day!

I just want to add this, my friend works in media and often types up things saying, such a good this, brilliant idea that, everyone rushing to have it done, blah blah, infact she is paid to do that, make product/company awareness, often for things that are failing or not selling as a last ditch attempt to get it to do well, which probably that is.

I have flown all around the world over the yeas from Europe, USA to Japan and not once even before I was a nail tech did I think I will get a mani or nail polish change, I'd have it done before, whether business or a pleasure/holiday trip.

I was more thinking about what perfume to buy or quick drink before I leave.

So I agree with everything Geeg says.

Interesting thread.

I really don't see on this occasion how anyone can fail to accept the great advice and reasoning in Geeg's posts.

The logic of her statements jump out and hit you right between the eyes.

Try as anyone might, there is not an argument against what she is saying.

There is rarely a reasonable and sensible argument against common sense and logic.

Peace and respect.

It makes sence what gigi says. I used to work for nails inc inside a debenhams in the city centre, i just sat there twiddling my thumbs because people didnt want to get their nails done & then go off shopping and smuge! It was really over priced and people didnt want to travel into the city pay to park just to get their nails done when there probably a nail salon locally! Big companies like that will put loads of pressure on you to create business and make you feel bad when your quiet. The offers always sound good but they normally leave you to do all their work and your just a number at the end of the day! I would never work for a big company again especially within a place like that. Working in a salon is much more rewarding

I love Judge Gigi's pearls of wisdom.

I am not a nail technician, but thinking about it logically like jacqueline says...

Those who are into their nails and have them regularly done will definitely make sure they're done before their holidays, so they won't be your customer.

As a customer, I love shellac, but have had pooly applied shellac so wouldn't just go anywhere for them. Because I love shellac so much I would see normal polish as a waste of money. So I wouldn't be a customer.

Like a previous poster said, a lot of people will be going on holiday with children, so they won't be your customer.

Which leaves women who don't usually get their nails done, not particularly bothered about getting their nails done, they MIGHT choose to get their nails done over getting some food, sitting at a bar with friends / family, picking up some last minute bits at airport...

No one has time at the airport to have a decent nail service, so at best what you get will be poorly done or rushed or skimped or just a plain waste of money; No wonder it has never worked as a business.

We always talk about doing a good job and not rushing or cutting corners etc. none of those ethics go along with an airport nail service.

The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at Heathrow offers a full CND Shellac service to passengers who want it.

I was going to have it but they didn't have the right colours.

It makes sence what gigi says. I used to work for nails inc inside a debenhams in the city centre, i just sat there twiddling my thumbs because people didnt want to get their nails done & then go off shopping and smuge! It was really over priced and people didnt want to travel into the city pay to park just to get their nails done when there probably a nail salon locally! Big companies like that will put loads of pressure on you to create business and make you feel bad when your quiet. The offers always sound good but they normally leave you to do all their work and your just a number at the end of the day! I would never work for a big company again especially within a place like that. Working in a salon is much more rewarding

Awww nuts! I've always thought that I might like to work for nails inc one day but this is certainly a bit of an eye opener! hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Just an update, they do OPI gel polish and normal OPI varnish for fingers or ties. They obviously try to upgrade people to gel polish so that there is no smudging etc, normal business practice. The terminal 1 stand appears to be doing ok and they plan to open in T2 soon. Them Birmingham according to their job adverts.

Latest posts

Back