The Girlfriend Buffer.......The enemy??!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinkleTips69

Reaction score
Hello again Geeklets,

Well, todays moan......the girlfriend buffer. No longer my friend.

How many uses are you supposed to get out of em? Coz they really aint cheap!! I have been buffing mad lately (coz my friend nabbed my uv gloss and I haven't got round to getting it back. The first nail with a new buffer.....stunning shine....even better than gloss. Second nail.....gets duller....next hand...DULL DULL DULL.

Have I forgotten something vital since my training? And am wasting all my buffers? Coz they just aint glossing the way I want?

Here is how it goes.....

After refining the shape of the nail, I use a koala to smooth, then apply solar oil, then an old koala on the smooth side - work that oil right in.

Wipe any excess oil with a pad.....then onto my girlfriend.

WHY WON'T THE SECOND HAND SHINE? I know in competitions you are meant to use a new buffer on each nail.....but come on, I can't be using a new buffer on each god damn hand!!! hehe

Help?! I dont like to be dull!!!

You may have left some oil behind on the nails,
the girlfriend really does not like oil,
you can get a bit longer out of the girlfriend by giving it a wipe with scrubfresh, hth :hug:

As an aside I was taught to use the boomerang board during a mani/pedi, with solar oil and cuticle remover (the one in the blue tube, not the clear stuff!) to buff it in. I'm finding that the abrasive is lifting from the board very quickly...would the oil be the reason why?

yeh i think i had that problem, that buffer does not like too much oil, plus if you get a bit of scrub fresh on it by mistake it takes all the black off (had that happen aswell)! I always get my clients to give the hands a rinse off before i give them a final buff up and i always use the girlfriend buffer as i feel it gives a brilliant shine.

yeh i think i had that problem, that buffer does not like too much oil, plus if you get a bit of scrub fresh on it by mistake it takes all the black off (had that happen aswell)! I always get my clients to give the hands a rinse off before i give them a final buff up and i always use the girlfriend buffer as i feel it gives a brilliant shine.

I hate the girlfiend buffer. I use the lil whistler buffer instead. Its easier to hold too and lasts for about 30 sets + and is able to withstand solar oil and antispetic sprays! I cant remember the name of the company I buy them from, because I buy them at the beauty shows in bulk. Pinnacle I think someone like that. There cheap too at £1.50 ish each.

kate

if its the grey side not bringing up the shine we were told to give em a wipe with scrubfresh , hth x

if its the grey side not bringing up the shine we were told to give em a wipe with scrubfresh , hth x

Personally I would give them a gentle wash/rinse and pat dry.

Dunno about using Scrubfresh, it's 50% Acetone and most soft buffers wouldn't like it.

A light wipe with a little scrubfresh will be fine to bring the grey side of the girlfreind back to life, just make sure you've removed all that solar oil first xx

As Carl says, the Girlfriend buffer is washable as are most of the CND files and buffers (not Koala and not the glossing buffer).

I use Girlfriend buffers for months but I never use them with Solar Oil. I wipe that off first or I use it after. Like most girlfriends, if you abuse them or treat them badly they won't be your best friend anymore! :)

As Carl says, the Girlfriend buffer is washable as are most of the CND files and buffers (not Koala and not the glossing buffer).

I use Girlfriend buffers for months but I never use them with Solar Oil. I wipe that off first or I use it after. Like most girlfriends, if you abuse them or treat them badly they won't be your best friend anymore! :)

I'll make a careful note of that :green:

Out of interest why is the girlfriend washable but not the Koala ?:confused:

I'll make a careful note of that :green:

Out of interest why is the girlfriend washable but not the Koala ?:confused:

The girlfriend is made with a fabric and different adhesive. The Koala has never been washable ... I think the 1200 grit side is too perishable as it is thinner paper adhered to foam.

The girlfriend is made with a fabric and different adhesive. The Koala has never been washable ... I think the 1200 grit side is too perishable as it is thinner paper adhered to foam.

Thank you, I always spray my files so it hasn't been an issue, but it is nice to know.

Ah....its me getting a bit heavy handed with the SolarOil.

I've wasted loads of them!!! :eek: At least I know now. I will try and rescue them with a gentle wash - shall I use Citrus Soak? or something else....I spray all my files usually with Chlorispray.

Ah....its me getting a bit heavy handed with the SolarOil.

I've wasted loads of them!!! :eek: At least I know now. I will try and rescue them with a gentle wash - shall I use Citrus Soak? or something else....I spray all my files usually with Chlorispray.

Yes you could use any mild detergent including Citrusoak. Now stop abusing your girlfriends!!! Girlfriends are very special things. :hug:

Now look, Judge Gigi, I've almost choked on my fruit tea!
:lol:

Yes you could use any mild detergent including Citrusoak. Now stop abusing your girlfriends!!! Girlfriends are very special things. :hug:

I have one & it is the only girlfriend i'm likely to ever have :lol::lol::lol:

I oil after buffing BTW

Miss Bryan, The cheek that i have nicked ya gell (lol)
You just want the glaze an go all to yourself but its mine, mine, mine!!!!!!:lol:

I think my nails looked lovely and glossy on sun when u buffed them! Your just too much of a perfectionist (which is a fab thing by the way!!)

Ur an amazing tech chick and im gonna be lost without u and ur funky designs! Where oh where am i gonna turn for my sets now after uve spoiled me soooo much!

Luv yaz

Sarah!

Ps my brush does NOT have a passport so no sneaking it to Cyprus with u or ill hunt u down!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hehe (damn it - you sussed me!)...but don't worry, ur brush is safe and actually mine is in better nick when I inspected them!!

My girlfirend buffer lasts absolute ages....... but I dont use it with any oil on the nail plate....
I use the koala to oil buff, using the the smooth side......Scrubfresh the nail and then buff with the girlfriend buffer, black, white then when I use the grey side, I just give the buffer a quick wipe with a little bit of cool blue after a few fingers and carry on with the buff... it's like glass.
Scrubfresh is a tad harsh but I do use it to remove the logo, this way no black smudges.....

If you have been using a uv finishing gloss over your nails for a while, it's possible you have got into the habit of not filing down smoothly enough?

As the finishing gloss hides any imperfections, you may not realise the nails aren't as smooth as they need to be before using your Girlfriend.

HTH

Latest posts

Back