The voice inside says "blog it"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ooooo thats a hard one -lol wont sin on forum EVER
will always be a sinner in life tho.................lol well cant be good all the time can we :)
or should i :eek:
oooerr

ooooo thats a hard one -lol wont sin on forum EVER
will always be a sinner in life tho.................lol well cant be good all the time can we :)
or should i :eek:
oooerr

everything in moderation :)

I have yet to comment on this yet, but as it is affecting how much I enjoy and use this wonderful forum, I had to say something today.

While I understand that some people write about subjects that some find inane, why do I find that most of the threads I read in this subforum end up being locked and sent to the blogs? Which, incidentally, I don't read. I have to admit being annoyed by this rule, and the locking of threads I'm interested in.

Isn't this what "Chit Chat" is?

Some people, like me, have never gotten the hang of blogs. While people have the opportunity to comment on a blog, it's the back and forth discussion, and the constant changes of direction, that fascinate me and keep my interest on a forum.

I've been a forum user for 15 years, and when one of my forums recently considered a change to having a blog section (like the one here) and ending the "General Discussion" subforum, I protested heartily. Thankfully they rescinded the idea.

Today was another annoyance on top of several others recently - when Nailzoo's thread about meeting Geeg (posted on Nail Geek) was shut down and sent to the blogs. I don't care that this is a "personal" commentary - two of the best known members of the forum, who come from opposite ends of the planet, got to meet. How many of us would have killed to be a fly on the wall of those meetings? The ideas that must have been flowing would have been amazing. I am of the opinion that this topic was an interest to the group in general, and should not have been shut down in the general forum. Now, because of the players involved the Moderators may have made this decision to avoid being seen has having favourites and allowing some people to circumvent this rule, but I am still finding the rule too strict to begin with.

Because I don't blog, I also find myself avoiding writing about some client issues and things verging on the personal because I loathe to have my threads locked. How many others are resistant to post things here because of this?

I realise by my saying this I may be pushing the boundary of the rules myself, but I find that the Chit Chat board is somewhat sparse and would perhaps have more to read if this Blog rule was relaxed somewhat. If people don't want to read a thread, then don't - it's not hard to avoid discussions you have no interest in.

Again, this is just one opinion, but I find I've remained silent every other time this has occurred and I really had to say something. I'm prepared to "play by the rules" to be allowed to stay here, but I want to say that I don't agree with this one.

I have yet to comment on this yet, but as it is affecting how much I enjoy and use this wonderful forum, I had to say something today.

While I understand that some people write about subjects that some find inane, why do I find that most of the threads I read in this subforum end up being locked and sent to the blogs? Which, incidentally, I don't read. I have to admit being annoyed by this rule, and the locking of threads I'm interested in.

Isn't this what "Chit Chat" is?

Some people, like me, have never gotten the hang of blogs. While people have the opportunity to comment on a blog, it's the back and forth discussion, and the constant changes of direction, that fascinate me and keep my interest on a forum.

I've been a forum user for 15 years, and when one of my forums recently considered a change to having a blog section (like the one here) and ending the "General Discussion" subforum, I protested heartily. Thankfully they rescinded the idea.
The general discussion sub forum (aka ChitChat) isn't being changed, but we have for the past year asked that members making threads that are 'all about them' to keep it to blogs and not clogging up the main forums, this happened a year ago!

Today was another annoyance on top of several others recently - when Nailzoo's thread about meeting Geeg (posted on Nail Geek) was shut down and sent to the blogs. I don't care that this is a "personal" commentary - two of the best known members of the forum, who come from opposite ends of the planet, got to meet. How many of us would have killed to be a fly on the wall of those meetings?
Lots of us I'm sure, but at the end of the day it should have been a blog as the poster knew and the thread was subsequently closed by the site owner!

The ideas that must have been flowing would have been amazing. I am of the opinion that this topic was an interest to the group in general, and should not have been shut down in the general forum. Now, because of the players involved the Moderators may have made this decision to avoid being seen has having favourites and allowing some people to circumvent this rule, but I am still finding the rule too strict to begin with.
That's complete rubbish, the rules are there for everyone to follow, favouritism doesn't come into it.

Because I don't blog, I also find myself avoiding writing about some client issues and things verging on the personal because I loathe to have my threads locked. How many others are resistant to post things here because of this?
If you follow the guidelines set out by the site owner you'll see that there is a plain difference between what constitutes a blog and what constitutes a thread...
The Geek on page 1 of this thread said:
If it is a discussion... It is a thread! If it is personal meanderings, stories, events, etc... In other words... if it is "all about you"... BLOG IT!

I realise by my saying this I may be pushing the boundary of the rules myself, but I find that the Chit Chat board is somewhat sparse and would perhaps have more to read if this Blog rule was relaxed somewhat. If people don't want to read a thread, then don't - it's not hard to avoid discussions you have no interest in.
ChitChat is anything but sparse of threads, there's a healthy mix of threads on all of the forums.

Again, this is just one opinion, but I find I've remained silent every other time this has occurred and I really had to say something. I'm prepared to "play by the rules" to be allowed to stay here, but I want to say that I don't agree with this one.
It would be such a boring world if we all agreed with each other wouldn't it?

At the end of the day, the rules/guidelines are there to be followed and that includes everyone who is a registered member. If you want to write personal day to day stuff then it couldn't be easier, click on Navigation, then click on Blogs, you'll see a link on the left that says 'Post to your blog'... and off you go, job done... how much easier could it be?

And the added bonus is that only registered members can access the blogs :green:

I suppose it's down to the old favourite...
You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time!

Dear Valencia

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate that as a moderator, one can't please everyone all the time, and as laid back as I usually am, it's unusual for me to even comment on things like this. I was not an active member a year ago, so I can't vouch for the state of the Chit Chat forum before this rule came into play. And while you must have had your reasons for the changes, I am voicing a personal preference and by no means expect any rule to change simply because I want it to :)

The ideas that must have been flowing would have been amazing. I am of the opinion that this topic was an interest to the group in general, and should not have been shut down in the general forum. Now, because of the players involved the Moderators may have made this decision to avoid being seen has having favourites and allowing some people to circumvent this rule, but I am still finding the rule too strict to begin with.
That's complete rubbish, the rules are there for everyone to follow, favouritism doesn't come into it.

In reading my post again, particularly this part (your words included in pink above), I regret that I chose my words poorly. Please know that I wasn't implying that the mods were playing favourites - as the thread was locked, it shows the complete opposite, in that there are no favourites (if the thread hadn't been locked, perhaps this might have been an accusation). I apologise that I didn't make this clear.

I'm also acknowledging that it's not difficult to write on blogs - in your words, yes, the process itself is very easy. But I find reading other people's blogs terrible tedious at times, and I imagine that many people would accuse me of the same should I write one. Again, I like the "back and forth" of forums - yes, that's a personal preference.

I'm finding I rarely look at the Chit Chat board here now because it is so quiet (in comparison to some of the forums on this site, which are heavingly busy). I will try to keep in line with the rules, and will choose to post "personal chit chat" on forums that don't have the blog requirement. This community is important to me, but one musn't have to agree all the time!

Thanks for you feedback.

The blogs were instigated because of the plethora of personal meanderings in the chit chat forum. In effect, the 'all about me' threads clogged up and buried any post worth having a discussion about in the Chit Chat forum AND the 'Whats New' pages.

Blogs are not near as visible as threads, therefore they sometimes get over looked. Only way to change that is to go participate in the blogs. Ironic thing is that most people that "don't do blogs" choose not to participate in them because its 'all about someone else' and 'not them'. Now imagine the forums filled with that and all of those threads burying all of the professional threads every time you hit 'new posts' (anyone remember that?). Personally, I wish more people would write more relevant blogs, although I suppose personal blogs have their place as part of the community too.

FWIW: We will introduce better ways of making the blogs 'more visible' and more of an essential area of the site in 2009.

HTHs

I'm also acknowledging that it's not difficult to write on blogs - in your words, yes, the process itself is very easy. But I find reading other people's blogs terrible tedious at times, and I imagine that many people would accuse me of the same should I write one. Again, I like the "back and forth" of forums - yes, that's a personal preference.

Surely this is a good reason for them to be in blogs and not on the main forum, even if it is in chit chat!

I am forced to say once again - this is Sam's bus and all are welcome to travel on it, he chooses the route and the timetable and if we don't like it we don't have to travel.

Why anyone thinks that because they don't like the way things are arranged, that they will be changed is quite beyond me..........and as I can see, I am not alone.

Surely this is a good reason for them to be in blogs and not on the main forum, even if it is in chit chat!

I don't think people have as much of a filter when they write on a blog. On a forum, brevity is encouraged otherwise people don't read the entries (some posters will even tell the writer this... "the post was too long so I didn't bother reading it"). Most forums I read usually include this info in the titles (like Warning - long post, etc) so if you don't want to read a novel, you don't have to.

As far as blogs being "all about the writer" and not about me - well, that's one way of looking at it, but it's not my viewpoint I'm particularly interested in, but the other people reading and posting. This is certainly true of threads that I neither started nor have posted in yet. I don't post to hear myself talk!! I love reading the interactions and development of the conversations (conversations, not monologues) and reading the viewpoints of others, some of which are so different to mine. I've enjoyed this on other boards, and would like to do so here. It's just that I keep picking locked threads to start reading...

Again - just a difference of opinion. If you can find a way of making the blogs more accessible, great - I'm all for that if the conversations aren't going to be included on the forums. I'm not a total Luddite after all!

The only reason that I don't participate in the blogs is that I can't imagine anyone finding my life at all interesting. I tried once but I found it a bit 'all about me' and didn't do it again. It's not at all that I can't be bothered, I just don't get them.

The reasons that I don't read blogs are twofold. 1. The ones that I've read seem rather private.....almost like a diary. 2. Unil 10mins ago, I couldn't work out how to navigate them. I've just found out how to read previous blogs by the same poster. It makes sense now as for example, a geek mentioned someone being ill 'again', and the replies were obviously from geeks who knew they'd been ill 'before'. I've just realised that there is a link button to previous blogs by the same poster. That's what I never found before.

Aside from the personal blogs, can you give us some pointers on what other kind of subjects would be of interest and benefit to geeks? I take it the tutorials will still stay there? I'm happy to give blogs a go if I knew what I should be writing about. Many thanks. xxx

I think the blogs are cool as they are...some people want/need to share things with others, but not everyone...so they can set their blogs to be available only to those on their friends list. This couldn't be done if these things where on the main forum. So it offers a more private place to share.

There is nothing interactive about someone posting an announcement type thread with 5 pages following of no more than "thats great news"...."well done"....."wish i was there"........and thats all alot of the threads that get locked now are full off.

I love the blogs too, sometimes I wish I could make certain blog posts I did private to my list but leave the rest open. Maybe I can and I just didn't find that yet :lol: I rarely post in my blog as being a bit paranoid I worry when only a couple of replies come up, did I pee people off, am I that boring blah blah. I also tend to forget. I have a proper blog spot and hardly ever remember to post in that too :lol:

What would a more 'relevant' blog be, do you mean professionally based Sam as in daily working life?

I need to highlight (again) the reason behind the implementation of the blogs: It was to create a more user friendly environment by separating the personal news, views and announcements (blogs) from the discussions (forums).

This separation wasn't an insta idea pulled from a hat (or other dark place), it was an answer to the increasing number of grumbles regarding the forums being overrun with non discussions.

Personal news and announcements are an important part of this community and that is why they have been given an important place (the blogs).

If we moved all of the blogs back into the forums (almost 7,000 entries at time of writing this), a lot of professional discussion will be buried under an avalanche of personal news and announcements. The average user is inundated with 'thats great hun' posts to the personal threads whenever they hit 'Whats New'. While there isn't anything wrong with encouragement posts or even personal news and announcements, it becomes a problem when the sheer volume of the threads and posts make it a challenge to find all of the actual professional discussions on the forums!

NailZoo's recent thread (which seems to have revived this discussion) was not a discussion at all, it was a thread to shout out about a personal experience. It was in fact, an ideal blog entry and he knew it should have been in his blog instead of a professional forum (IIRC he even mentioned that in the thread) but alas, I can only assume didn't care because 'more exposure' was more important to him.

Is the system perfect? nope. In fact, I believe the current blog system could be greatly improved. For example, I would like to further separate blogs into personal and professional categories. I have less time to read the personal stuff which sometimes drowns out the stuff I would really like to read more of (i.e. personal views and news as it relates to the industry). For instance, when I post personal banter, I do so in Life of a Geek, when it is regarding the site, I post in Site Meanderings and when its more work/industry related, I post in Workin It. I think I would like to see some kind of system across the board where I can choose to filter out personal stuff in favour of more industry related stuff if I am shorter on time. I would like 'favourite' blogs and ways to 'digg' blogs that are great reading. Alas, these whistles and bells won't do jack if people choose to deliberately post in the forums instead of the blogs or choose not to contribute to the blogs at all.

Anyhoo, I am getting wayyyy off track here. To sum it all up... the Blogs were implemented because of the amount of complaints regarding personal news/announcement threads that were drowning out the actual discussions. I don't really envision that decision changing any time soon :)

Thanks for understanding :)

I love the blogs too, sometimes I wish I could make certain blog posts I did private to my list but leave the rest open.

You can. When you create an entry, there is an option to set just that entry to be available to those in your contact list. :)

You can. When you create an entry, there is an option to set just that entry to be available to those in your contact list. :)

:lol: Ah, see I knew I missed something. I thought the whole blog had to be either public or private, what a dufus :rolleyes: I never thought about seperating my blog into nail/hopefully soon work related stuff and a personal stuff one either. My blog was just, well, my blog.

I can only assume didn't care because 'more exposure' was more important to him.

thats pretty poor form Samuel, you know what they say about the word "assume"?

It was about my excitement as a geek from another country meeting someone very important to all of us as an internationally respected industry icon visiting my country.

I'm not that desperate for exposure, sometimes important issues get lost in blogs. Sorry I found such an international visit exciting.

I'd be almost as excited if you visited too and just as hospitable, no matter how much of a grumble bum you act.

I'm truly embarrased (but not for me) about your assumption,

........ actually I'm offended.

Congratulations !!!!!! it doesn't happen often.

Last edited:
Hey Carl,

My intention was not to offend, however I really don't know of any other way to call it when your own thread starts off "I know this should be a blog.. but...".

Your thread was a blog entry, you knew that it should be posted in the blogs, but you didn't want it 'Banished' there so you purposely posted it in the professional forums knowing it shouldn't be there. How else can I take that?

I know you're excited about Gigi coming down. I am sure we would all feel the same having you (or another geek from so far away) travel up to see us. News like that I think is very cool to post and if it were humanly possible to define "personal news/announcement" criteria that was OK to post in chit chat and that wasn't OK to post in chit chat... then you bet your Sheila it would be defined.

Your Grumble Bum,

I've removed the offending post ...... sorry for my apparent attention seeking, wish I could remove others excitement or quotes of my post in regard to Geeg's visit, but thats beyond me, perhaps you can edit what is needed so all memory of my mistake can be erased.

I will remember it regardless and have taken it to the blogs.

Well I never knew I could have categories in my blog (and I do like my blog!) until now, cheers Sam!!

Ooops...sorry, I'm new to this XxX

Latest posts

Back