Therapists, Are you open to new ideas ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
If someone said to you exfoliation was no good for your skin what would you say ? Would you agree or disagree ?

As some of you may know im on the lookout for a new skincare range and the latest one doesn't believe in exfoliation, they don't even have an exfoliator in their range or night creams as they don't believe they are necessary :rolleyes:

Now I can't get my head round this at all, I won't qoute what she said as i can't remember the exact words but basically they don't agree with exfoliators & night creams clog up the skin. I don't agree at all & there is no way I could use a range that I don't agree with.

I remember after leaving college and did lots of product training that I would often not accept what trainers would say, eg oily skins should exfoliate less & dry skins more as at college we taught the opposite, but when they explained WHY i should do this it all became clear.

I am open to new ideas if the science & proof is there to back them up.

If someone said to you exfoliation was no good for your skin what would you say ? Would you agree or disagree ?

As some of you may know im on the lookout for a new skincare range and the latest one doesn't believe in exfoliation, they don't even have an exfoliator in their range or night creams as they don't believe they are necessary :rolleyes:

Now I can't get my head round this at all, I won't qoute what she said as i can't remember the exact words but basically they don't agree with exfoliators & night creams clog up the skin. I don't agree at all & there is no way I could use a range that I don't agree with.

I remember after leaving college and did lots of product training that I would often not accept what trainers would say, eg oily skins should exfoliate less & dry skins more as at college we taught the opposite, but when they explained WHY i should do this it all became clear.

I am open to new ideas if the science & proof is there to back them up.

I agree that if they have the science and proof as backup then it's worth considering. I would need solid proof though, especially if it's something only one company is saying.
What's the idea behind the exfoliating thing then? Never heard that one before! I was also taught that oily skins need more frequent exfoliation.

Does the product range have something else which aids in the removal of dead skin cells? Perhaps an ingrediant in the cleaner or mask. If so then I could understand that but if not - well how are the products going to be absorbed by the skin?

Regarding a night cream - I think I'm correct in saying that Dermalogica don't believe in them either, at least that is what we were told at our demonstration day by their own staff. She said that if a moisturiser is active enough for during the day then it is also good enough for night time too. That I can see the logic of but still don't get the not exfoliating though.:irked:

I agree that if they have the science and proof as backup then it's worth considering. I would need solid proof though, especially if it's something only one company is saying.
What's the idea behind the exfoliating thing then? Never heard that one before! I was also taught that oily skins need more frequent exfoliation.
I personally wouldnt want a client to exfoliate too much.i.e evry day and i always thought that an oily skin shouldnt exfoliate frequently as it is very active.
If there was too much exfoliation it would stimulate an oily skin as opposed to a dry skin which is underactive so i would reccommend more peels and exfoliation to stimulate the underactive skin cells:)

I personally wouldnt want a client to exfoliate too much.i.e evry day and i always thought that an oily skin shouldnt exfoliate frequently as it is very active.
If there was too much exfoliation it would stimulate an oily skin as opposed to a dry skin which is underactive so i would reccommend more peels and exfoliation to stimulate the underactive skin cells:)

I have oily skin, and I find that if I don't exfoliate twice a week, my skin gets a lot more congested and spotty. Regular exfoliation seems to keep it clear and feeling more healthy.

That just about sums it up :)

As Beautyguru explains exfoliation stimulates oily skin into producing more oil. I reccommend that clients with dry skin exfoliate 2/3 times per week & oily skin once a week. I have oily skin myself and my skin was at its worst when i was scrubbing away 2/3 times a week when i did my decleor training everything became clear - literally !

You wouldn't believe the amount of clients I have with oily skin that exfoliate EVERY day !! Their skin, literally dripping with oil. Now they have cut down (Sounds like an addiction - lol) there is a massive improvement

Pure im not sure to be honest about the products but she specifically said there is no need for exfoliation at all....?? Its the Dr. Hauschka range.

i think its hard to get into a totally different way of thinking , when you have been taught something in your initial training , i am always open to new ideas but if the science behind it doenst back it up then it makes it harder to get your head round ,
not sure if i am explainig this right but i know wot you mean , lol

I truly believe exfoliation helps by clearing the Stratum Corneum of debris & skin cells. As far as night creams, the skin regenerates overnight & can handle a richer cream. Also, at night we do not need to wear the SPF that we need in a day cream, so why use the same cream? As for Dermalogica, I have done advanced training with them, & wouldn't use any of their products on my own skin!

LAJKITTY: trained with Decleor, Matis, MD Forulations, Guinot, Jessica, Backscratchers, OPI, St Tropez,Repcharge & Dermalogica.

:Grope:

I think that it is so hard to generalise like that. SOME skins may need need exfoliation and as much moisturising as others, but for dry skins the main thing is to hydrate it .. and I'd have thought it better to cut out the day cream if anything as the skin regenerates at night and so is more receptive to any creams applied?! I know I can get away with moisturising once a day, but I was blessed with very good skin. My daughter has very dry, eczema prone skin and she has to slap it on almost hourly which is what her dermatologist advised her to do!

I do have a very open mind as the science of skin and the body seems to change with the wind, but I wouldn't ever take someone.s word for it - I would need to see the science and logic behind it. Then I'd have to try it and test it to see if the proof is in the pudding.

As for Dermalogica, I have done advanced training with them, & wouldn't use any of their products on my own skin!

would love to know more about this.

I think that it is so hard to generalise like that. SOME skins may need need exfoliation and as much moisturising as others, but for dry skins the main thing is to hydrate it .. and I'd have thought it better to cut out the day cream if anything as the skin regenerates at night and so is more receptive to any creams applied?! I know I can get away with moisturising once a day, but I was blessed with very good skin. My daughter has very dry, eczema prone skin and she has to slap it on almost hourly which is what her dermatologist advised her to do!

I do have a very open mind as the science of skin and the body seems to change with the wind, but I wouldn't ever take someone.s word for it - I would need to see the science and logic behind it. Then I'd have to try it and test it to see if the proof is in the pudding.

Here here Sassy....but naughty naughty NAUGHTy you for skippin your moisturisation,thats like someone
not going back for thier nails to be rebalanced ...:eek: :green: :!:
only joking,dont take it to heart:!:

I truly believe exfoliation helps by clearing the Stratum Corneum of debris & skin cells. As far as night creams, the skin regenerates overnight & can handle a richer cream. Also, at night we do not need to wear the SPF that we need in a day cream, so why use the same cream? As for Dermalogica, I have done advanced training with them, & wouldn't use any of their products on my own skin!

LAJKITTY: trained with Decleor, Matis, MD Forulations, Guinot, Jessica, Backscratchers, OPI, St Tropez,Repcharge & Dermalogica.

I i would also like to know more about that comment too :confused:

Here here Sassy....but naughty naughty NAUGHTy you for skippin your moisturisation,thats like someone
not going back for thier nails to be rebalanced ...:eek: :green: :!:
only joking,dont take it to heart:!:

Yep.I use a serum first then a moisturiser am and pm,Darphin's Hydraskin serum and Hydraskin rich replenishing cream.I use Eve Taylor AHA cream exfoliant which I love,it's so gentle but I only use it 2 times a week which is enough.I use Fibrogene intensive eye serum and Arovita eye/lip gel.

I dont understand why certain companies say we dont need to exfoliate,if I dont my skin looks dull and lifeless but over exfoliation can also have the same result.I personally would always recommend to my friends and clients to exfoliate and follow a good skin care regime.No matter what age or condition their skin is in.

We may be blessed with good skin at the moment but preventative is better than cure and this is what I always tell my clients.

As for exfoliation as we get to our 30's/40's cell renewal becomes much slower,slower still as we get older.Help is needed to remove the dead skin cells and moisturising is especially needed to keep skin supple and protected.

All too often people become complacent about their skin and then before they know it the damage has been done.:green:

Personally if I couldn't use a skin care product on myself,that I had been trained in or was using on clients/in the salon, I wouldn't be able to sell it/recommend it.For me I have to believe in a product,once you do then any product is easy to sell.

Wow Babsann you are a real "sophisticated" skin care user thats what i like to see!

Darphin products are really iconic in France tooand its pronounced darphAn not darphin as in fin like some clients ive known to say:mad: :eek:

Thanks for all you comments guys :green:

I do try to be open minded but every skincare range has different opinions. Had a look at the Eve Lom skincare site earlier and she doesn't believe in steaming or facial machines Eve Lom - skin care consultant

Wow Babsann you are a real "sophisticated" skin care user thats what i like to see!

Darphin products are really iconic in France tooand its pronounced darphAn not darphin as in fin like some clients ive known to say:mad: :eek:
Yes we get clients pronouncing Darpin "Darfin",it can be a little grating but it's the same woth OPI nail products when clients call it "Opeee",makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall,lol,no not really.

I do love Darphin products though,they are lovely to use,you get results and not every other salon uses them,unlike a lot of other brands I wont mention.:eek:

The current range I use doesn't have a facial exfoliator either, and I too was a little confused by the logic of this, being a big fan of exfoliation. However the range I use aims to normalise your skin function hence exfoliation becomes unecessary. They believe the horny layer is there for a reason and if your skin is functioning normally there shouldn't be a build up of dead skin which needs to be removed.

Having used my current range on myself and various guinea pigs I have found their claims to be 100% accurate in every case and my large stock of facial exfoliators have been relegated to my body to use them up.

The current range I use doesn't have a facial exfoliator either, and I too was a little confused by the logic of this, being a big fan of exfoliation. However the range I use aims to normalise your skin function hence exfoliation becomes unecessary. They believe the horny layer is there for a reason and if your skin is functioning normally there shouldn't be a build up of dead skin which needs to be removed.

Having used my current range on myself and various guinea pigs I have found their claims to be 100% accurate in every case and my large stock of facial exfoliators have been relegated to my body to use them up.
But surely if this was right you wouldn't have to use them for your body either,after all the horney layer is all over our bodies not just our faces???

Desquamation is a normal skin function,as we get older this process slows right down.I think a little help is definately needed as we get older.But hey,if you're happy then that's great.:)

This is pretty much the same thing I was told (different range) So it has worked then & how long did you need to use products to not have to exfoliate ?

Also What do clients think ? That was one of my main concerns, clients insisting that they exfoliate & me arguing that they shouldn't !

But surely if this was right you wouldn't have to use them for your body either,after all the horney layer is all over our bodies not just our faces???

Desquamation is a normal skin function,as we get older this process slows right down.I think a little help is definately needed as we get older.But hey,if you're happy then that's great.:)

I am using them up on my body rather than waste them, because I am only using my skincare range on my face currently:hug: but to be honest I am trialling my dad on some of the body range for different reasons and I am amazed with the results I am getting as is he due to his medical conditions he has specific problems.

Latest posts

Back