Time issues - am I missing something? lol

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abook

Reaction score
I meant to add this to my other post and forgot. I have been doing nails for almost 8 years now and am still very upset about how long it takes me. I don't doddle around, when i start I go straight through and don't stop unless the client gets up to wash their hands. For a normal natural set with a top coat usually takes anywhere from 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Heaven forbid they want art work done, then it will take anywhere up to 3 - 4 hours! That's rediculous. Most dont seem to mind as they love them when they get done, but I feel like its not worth it for either of us to be sitting like that for so long. This is my normal routine
Prep nails, remove shine, cuticle care and natural nail shaping
have them wash with specific soap to dehydrate
add tips
ph balance and prime
place L&P (also mix in art if necessary, glitters, rhinestones etc)
buff and file to make sure all are even and shaped nicely
polish and / or airbrush

I know that even though I have been doing nails for as long as I have, sometimes I just can seem to get the acrylic on beautifully with the 3 ball method, or even using a larger brush and placing one ball in the middle and then more if necessary to build arch and tip up. I have tried everything to try and cut the time down to at least 1 1/2 solid and then an extra 1/2hr for artwork, total! I just can't seem to do it. Any sugesstions would be awesome. Is this normal?

This is my normal routine
Prep nails, remove shine, cuticle care and natural nail shaping
have them wash with specific soap to dehydrate
add tips
ph balance and prime
place L&P (also mix in art if necessary, glitters, rhinestones etc)
buff and file to make sure all are even and shaped nicely
polish and / or airbrush

The step in purple is unnecessary. After the nail shaping, just dust off and then follow the rest of the steps, usually your ph balance is a dehydrator.

Without seeing you work no one can tell where you are loosing time. Yes, 2 hours is too much time so something you are doing is being done inefficiently.

In my experience there are a few things that technicians do that use up valuable time.

Blending tips is one time waster when these days you just don't have to do it anymore. Using well-less pre-thinned tips like the Performance tips from CND saves a good 15 minutes of time. Using a primerless product like CND Radical or Retention+ also saves time and money.

You have identified that making the perfect nails with your brush will save many minutes of your precious time so I would really concentrate on that number one. Brush technique is so important (all described in the book 'nailclass' by gigi rouse). Using the right techniques will automatically build your apex for you without the need to add or file away.

You can shave 10 minutes off your finishing time by taking a few minutes more making your application perfect and maybe using a slow setting monomer like CND Retention+ will give you the time to do so. Unfortunately your profile gives no indication of what product/brand you use so I can only help so far by suggestions. It is totally inefficient and costly and wasteful to use more product than you need, only to file and buff it off again to get the shape you want.

Finally I see many technicians waste time by using way too many files and buffers when finishing. Personally I use only one file for everything (240 grit) and a white block buffer to finish. If the client wants high shine they have the choice of hand buff (extra) top coat polish (free) or top coat gel (extra).

Geeg,

where you say using well-less tips, do you still have to blend the small contact area? also I am a little unsure on the performance tips as I did order some but they don't have the "free edge" step so are they still as strong on the contact area??

Thanks
Rebecca

Geeg,

where you say using well-less tips, do you still have to blend the small contact area? also I am a little unsure on the performance tips as I did order some but they don't have the "free edge" step so are they still as strong on the contact area??

Thanks
Rebecca

This is a really good question. I have been very very impressed with Performance well-less tips. I never thin them or blend any contact area. You will find after applying that there is virtually no 'ledge' and no need to blend or thin at all.

What has impressed me the most about the Performance tips and the new material they are made of, is their 'staying power'. I see no 'curling' as the tips grow out and whether I place the tip 'edge to edge' or on top of the existing free edge ... even if I set them on a really bad nail biter and use a coverage powder to elongate the nail bed ... they last and last till they grow off.

I am very confident to say these things as I use them on myself as well as clients who require tips. Practically any nail shape or condition seems to do really well with these tips. There is a slightly different technique to applying them which I will explain if you or anyone else wishes, but I don't wish to hijack this thread. x

There is a slightly different technique to applying them which I will explain if you or anyone else wishes, but I don't wish to hijack this thread. x

Would like to hear too pls. I bought the ezflow classic french which are also thin and with no free edge ledge, I had a heck of a time trying to apply them to the point that I had to remove them again cuz one figure refused to cooperate and let the tip stick :lol:

I too have this problem. But unlike the poster I haven't been working as long. I only started in October and I work with gels. My problem is with infills. The filing process just takes too too long. I use Gigi's method of filing and it still takes too long. My instructress says it's because the gel I'm using is hard wearing. She uses an efile and I'm beginning to feel that it would be a good investment. I don't like the idea of using on natural nail so that process I will do by hand but will the efile for infills. Most of my time is spent on prep as I use cuticle remover, dehydrator and primer. I tried without the primer and had lifting problems. With the primer the problem vanished. Enhancements 3 weeks plus have no lifting as before after 10 days nails coming off.

Any further hints will be appreciated.

Thanks for you wisdom Gigi.

Last edited:
There is a slightly different technique to applying them which I will explain if you or anyone else wishes, but I don't wish to hijack this thread. x

I'd like to know too please. I have been using these for ages now as my main tip style and love them, but if there is something else I should be doing differently.

Back to the original topic - I sympathise with you, it also takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours for a full set. I've put this down to my talking in part, do you think this might be the case with you too? As much as I try 'talking to the hand' I do find myself looking up from time to time.

Hi

I've only been in the industry for over a year. So my opinion may not count for much but I have had the same problem as far as time but mine was WAY worse. It was 2 hrs or more for a simple natural nail. I needed more practice and also when I chit chatted instead of just listened, I noticed my time was higher. I know Customer Service is EXTREMELY important in this business but if you can find a way to have a once sided conversation, that might help. :) Good luck!

This is a really good question. I have been very very impressed with Performance well-less tips. I never thin them or blend any contact area. You will find after applying that there is virtually no 'ledge' and no need to blend or thin at all.

What has impressed me the most about the Performance tips and the new material they are made of, is their 'staying power'. I see no 'curling' as the tips grow out and whether I place the tip 'edge to edge' or on top of the existing free edge ... even if I set them on a really bad nail biter and use a coverage powder to elongate the nail bed ... they last and last till they grow off.

I am very confident to say these things as I use them on myself as well as clients who require tips. Practically any nail shape or condition seems to do really well with these tips. There is a slightly different technique to applying them which I will explain if you or anyone else wishes, but I don't wish to hijack this thread. x

Please share Geeg :hug:

I would also like to know :green: an old thread but I need lots of advice as only just starting out xx

I agree tiffany - I'm just starting out too and I would love to hear more about the performance well less tips and the technique to apply as I find I have to blend the normal performance tips and like mentioned above takes me ages - or maybe that cause I rabbit on lol!

Jo xxx
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I either rabbit on too much at the start, wasting precious minutes or go mute when I start my nails as I'm too busy concentrating, neither option is good! :eek:

One day when I'm more confident and relaxed I'll learn the art of being able to multi-task - chat AND do my nails! :irked:

ps. Takes my anytime from 1.15 - 1.45 to do a set, even when doing well-less tips... Eek. x

It's taking me 3 hours :rolleyes: don't qualify till Monday so I'm only a beginner bless me! X

I either rabbit on too much at the start, wasting precious minutes or go mute when I start my nails as I'm too busy concentrating, neither option is good! :eek:

Lol me too! I tend to rabbit when tipping and silent when applying product!

Dont worry tiffany, I qualified with CND end nov and it still takes me 2.5ish hours :( we will get there tho :)

Jo xxx
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I would also like to know, i have just started to use velocity after reading one of your threads they are great. However, still taking 2 hrs I feel most of my time is spent filing to correct shape after application, i am using brisa gel, wish i had chosen L&P route now (im new as well), It seems a lot easier and smoother? I get lots of lumps & bumps lol:mad:

Geeg please share your 'special way' of applying the well less tips, I have just got them and am having trouble with the 'pointy' ends, they seem to stick up after I have laid the tip on the nail plate at a 45 degree angle like I used to do with my other tips (with a well area), I also felt I needed to blend them as there was a slight ridge, I use gel so it was noticable, even after all my coats, any advice much appreciated. :rolleyes:

Oooh I would like to know too please!! Lol. I use gel and when using welled tips, it can sometimes take me 2 hours plus!! :-( xx

I'd love to find anything that will help me to speed up and although I'm quite good at blending I still sometimes have issues where they just dont want to blend for me and I end up re-tipping and starting all over again.

I've looked at the performance tips but as I am a gel girl I'd worry that there would still be a line. I'd love to know how to apply the tips so there is no blending required.

I took 4 hours yesterday doing my friends and in the end I had to rush the gel on for her to leave for the school run. I was not happy with how the blending turned out and didnt have time to check the gel was correcly shaped etc.. although she was happy to have got a full set on.

I'm just getting to assesment stage in college (usually do a set in about 2 hours 30) and have to blend for that to show my skill at it which I understand but I'd like to know how to do the natural tips in the best and quickest way for my clients after college.

I'm going to ask my tutor what she recomends but the thinner tips are an option I'd be willing to try if I knew how to apply them.

Sorry for rambling on. X

I'd love to find anything that will help me to speed up and although I'm quite good at blending I still sometimes have issues where they just dont want to blend for me and I end up re-tipping and starting all over again.

I've looked at the performance tips but as I am a gel girl I'd worry that there would still be a line. I'd love to know how to apply the tips so there is no blending required.

I took 4 hours yesterday doing my friends and in the end I had to rush the gel on for her to leave for the school run. I was not happy with how the blending turned out and didnt have time to check the gel was correcly shaped etc.. although she was happy to have got a full set on.

I'm just getting to assesment stage in college (usually do a set in about 2 hours 30) and have to blend for that to show my skill at it which I understand but I'd like to know how to do the natural tips in the best and quickest way for my clients after college.

I'm going to ask my tutor what she recomends but the thinner tips are an option I'd be willing to try if I knew how to apply them.

Sorry for rambling on. X
Blend BEFORE putting the tip on the nail - not sure if you already do this but it saves loads of time :)

Latest posts

Back