Tip or sculpt?? Which do you prefer??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distinctive

Reaction score
:lol: Hi,

Just letting you know that I have tried sculpting for the first time on my sister. I trained using tips only as my trainer wouldn't show us sculpting for some reason. I am now a big fan of this method, easier, quicker and cheaper! Which do you prefer?? :)

I much prefer the look of sculpts but i havnt got the hang of it yet so i just tip at the moment hth

I prefer to sculpt but tip if the client requests it
a competitor told one of my clients that sculpts werent as strong as tips :eek:

It is a quicker and cheaper route to gorgeous looking nails

I like to do either....I personally prefer the feel of sculpts.....looks wise...i think once the product is on you cant tell the difference.

Your right though...IMO they are quicker...stronger and cheaper.

Well thing, my hand trainer prefers sculpts, when Kay comes home at the end of the month I will do a set on her, the first since she modeled for me in my sculpting class.
If it works out on her, then I'm going to bite the bullet and offer them to the paying public.
I love them on me but think for now I will continue to sculpt my right hand and tip and nail art my left:green:

I used to be so scared to sculpt, but now I love it! A lot of my clients are now loving getting sculpts, took a bit of persuading right enough.

I have also found that a lot of them were told that tips were stronger by other technicians.

I enjoy both tipping and sculpting though. :)

I dont know if I feel sculpting is easier but I certainly prefer it by miles for L&P. I tried my new performance tips with Popits though when I did my nails last time, fandabbidozee!

I used to always tip, but recently i've started scultping more. It seems to take me a little less time to do a full set too :)

i love to sculpt and if i can get away with doing them on a client i will.
i do love my performance tips too! i guess it also depends what mood i'm in :)

I prefer sculpts, I just never liked doing tips.

It does depend on the clients nails, but i sculpt most of the time. I rarely use tips at all now and my clients prefer it. Its also better to sculpt when you have a client who is NNO and occasionally breaks a small corner, you don't have to remove the whole tip, you can just sculpt the corner back on. It always amazes my clients.:)

i like to sculp but i find because it of the price of the gel i use and as i use more gel to sculp its not nearly as cost effectinve as using tips so i only sculp to repair or on the odd one or two nails :cry:

i like to sculp but i find because it of the price of the gel i use and as i use more gel to sculp its not nearly as cost effectinve as using tips so i only sculp to repair or on the odd one or two nails :cry:

I'm a bit confused, how do you use more gel for sculpting ? the difference in amount could only be the thickness of a tip and tips are not that cheap.

I sculpt where I can but use tips where appropriate (nail biters etc)

I have always tipped - for the past 4 years, but every client that I have seen this year I have sculpted, with the odd exception.

I have always been a bit scared of sculpting, as I could never get the form on right, but now I can tailor the forms really well for those small and oddly shaped nails and find it a much more pleasing & natural look.

The strength is in the product & not the plastic tip - which should be thinned anyway, plus there is glue, which will, over time break down.

I find I have less breakages with sculpting. And most of my client prefer it too.

Only problem is - I can't sculpt my left hand - it's getting the forms on!

I have used & still got a big roll of CND Performance form, but I prefer EzFlow Universal forms for me, I can get them on much easier. I'll have to practise with my CND ones a bit more.

I'm a bit confused, how do you use more gel for sculpting ? the difference in amount could only be the thickness of a tip and tips are not that cheap.

I sculpt where I can but use tips where appropriate (nail biters etc)

i use asian half well tips which are very cheap but good ( was given the name by nailzoo and a couple of others) your right its only the thickness of a tip that's needed but at £75 for a 25ml pot of gel it def works out cheaper to tip ! maybe i should put my prices up ! that'l give them all a shock! x

Only sculpted for me!!
They seem to be easier to work on all kinds of nails, shapes and "cock-eyed-ness"!

kathleen

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting replies ... especially as a much larger percentage of technicians tip rather than sculpt!!

Guess it is mainly sculptors who are replying .... are you 'tippers' out there afraid to say so?? If so why??

Tips and sculpts are equally strong and look identical if constructed correctly; They are both first class, strong and long lasting when done by an expert..

I love to sculpt, as any artist loves the freedom to create something themselves, but I only do it on nails that 'deserve' it.

Odd shaped nails or severly bitten nails I find last longer with tips (the way I do tips anyway :lol:)

I used to be a die-hard tipper, with nearly every sort of tip known to man in my collection. LOL

BUT once I tackled sculpting, there was no looking back. I have sculpted every shape and problem there is (I think?) and I LOVE it. I also ge a huge kick out of clients who have never seen it and go 'WOOOOOW" lol

And to me, it also makes more business sense because you're not spending more money on tips and adhesive AND if someone chips/cracks or whatever, you rebuild on what's already existing as opposed to removing the nail completely and starting fresh; thereby wasting product needlessly.

It's so much more versatile and opens a whole new world of art.

I am NEVER going back to tipping!!

NO NO NO NO PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME!!!:!:
:lol::lol::lol:

I love to sculpt, as any artist loves the freedom to create something themselves, but I only do it on nails that 'deserve' it.

lol
Please explain what you mean by deserve it?
:lol:

lol
Please explain what you mean by deserve it?
:lol:

My little joke .... I mean nice nails in nice shape and condition so that sculpting is easy peasy!! They 'deserve' to have sculpts done by me!! :lol:

I do not like doing my best sculpting work on nails that have clearly not been cared for and will probably continue not to be cared for after I have done them.

Latest posts

Back