Tips falling off- help please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamh

Reaction score
Hi
:cry:
Please help, I am soooo frustrated. I am in the same situation as a few others with regards to clients tips falling off. I have got a new client who was used to having acrylic nails but the place she was getting them done was damaging her nail bed with drills etc. For this reason she came to me(I use Bio Sculpture Gel) for a product which would be kinder to her nails. I have followed the prep to the letter then glued on the Frech tips and followed with the gel steps/overlay on top. A few days later she called and said she had lost 4 nails. I replaced them and now a week later she has just called again and said she has lost another 4- on different nails this time? I don't understand why this is happening when I have done everything exactly as I should? I feel awful- she paid me for the first repair but I have offered this one for free? Do you think this is a Bio/Calgel problem or me? Is Calgel more durable than Bio? Could the nailbed be too oily or is this maybe a fault with the glue somehow?

Sorry, I am feeling really frustrated about this myself and not quite sure what to tell her when I go and repair again as she will be asking me what is causing this and I am at my wits end? Any suggestions? Thanks.xxx:confused:

Glue can go bad, I would replace it. Also make sure you are builing a nice arch and a curve into the nail with your gel. This will make the whole nail stronger overall.
Also make sure your tips arent sized too small. This can lead to problems.

Liz is right. Can`t really give you any other advice. How much Grit did the file had you used? Maybe it was not rough enough.

you will get this question alot - but have you prepped the nails thoroughly flower - i dont tend to use tips (i sculpt 99.9% of the time) sizing, as already suggested does make a difference - if they not fitting properly they pinch the nail and pop - if your client is having repeated probs i would suggest that you ask her to bring the "popped off nail" back in to you so you can see whether it HAS actually popped off or she has helped it with her teeth etc. at least that way you can SEE whether it you or HER

^very true AND important. if you don't see, you don't learn from it.

i'd add, if the natural n<ils have really been badly dammaged by a technician, whatever you stick on/apply on will fall.

if they're really thin or soft, i wouldn't use a soak off as these are soft and if the natural nail moves *under* the product, this can lead to lifting.
soak off are good for perfect nails.. or for a set for a special occasion.. i don't think you can say you won't damage her nails using these. the soak off solzution is more damaging than a file... you just need to know how to file off a product.

Thanks for your answers guys.:)xx

I think I am going to do sculptures on my clients nails which need repairing tomorrow and see how she gets on with those instead of just replacing with new tips.:rolleyes:

Ok, I did sculptures on this lady who's tips keep falling off about a week ago and she just text saying she has lost another 5 nails! I have never had someone lose an extension and gel extensions don't 'fall off' as a tip would as they aren't glued on. In my experience the only way to lose a gel extension is if you were to really catch it in something and it twisted/ripped off or the client picked/peeled it off? Yes, I thoroughly prepped the nail before- I actually took such extra care this time that I was there for 3 hours! Anyone have an opinion/advise? Thanksx. :cry::cry:

Hi hi

All this work very often may be making her nails worse, maybe you should tell her to let her nail heal abit before having another set put on and see what happends? You don't want to be working on a soft nail bed and can get uncomfortable for the client:D

xoxox.

Hi

As I had put a layer of clear Bio Sculpture Gel under all these tips and extensions before starting her natural nails underneath are in a good condition now from the Bio- they wern't when we started as she had just come from one of those nail bars using the MMA products. So any falling off or lifting surely can't be from the condition of her nail bed? Are some people just not able to use Bio gel and are better suited to acrylic or do you think she is abusing her nails?
:rolleyes:

Hi

As I had put a layer of clear Bio Sculpture Gel under all these tips and extensions before starting her natural nails underneath are in a good condition now from the Bio- they wern't when we started as she had just come from one of those nail bars using the MMA products. So any falling off or lifting surely can't be from the condition of her nail bed? Are some people just not able to use Bio gel and are better suited to acrylic or do you think she is abusing her nails?
:rolleyes:

the stuff this lady has been used to has obviously done at an nss and screams mma - you need a sledgehammer to break that stuff!:)
Bio Sculpture isn't the strongest of gels to use over tips at the best of times but couple it with someone who's used to the strength of rock at the ends of her fingers you'll be doing free repairs forever - she's simply heavy handed! If you are not having problems with anyone else then i would put money on it that this is the problem. All you can do is make the apex much thicker, but she'd be better with a different product imho.:hug:

are the enhancements actually breaking or is the whole thing coming off in one? Also maybe they are too long for her lifestyle..i.e work etc?

the stuff this lady has been used to has obviously done at an nss and screams mma - you need a sledgehammer to break that stuff!:)
Bio Sculpture isn't the strongest of gels to use over tips at the best of times but couple it with someone who's used to the strength of rock at the ends of her fingers you'll be doing free repairs forever - she's simply heavy handed! If you are not having problems with anyone else then i would put money on it that this is the problem. All you can do is make the apex much thicker, but she'd be better with a different product imho.:hug:

Hi,

I agree with above.....

I'm not a bio or calger user, but my guess is, if you are doing all the correct procedures - a normal gel wearer would have no problems.
The problem could just be that she has been used to wearing possibly MMA on her nails with the previous place, especially if they were NSS using drills and damaging the nail plate as suggested.
MMA is very strong when used on the nails, which is one of the problems, the another is that it does not stick to keratin very well and the MMA tech has had to rough up her nails with a drill and cause the damage before it will stick. Once there on, they are like concrete, and if they do break, they are more likely to take the whole nail plate with it.
She is used to be heavy with her nails, and the products you are using and no where near as harsh as the previous stuff!
Just ask her to go through what she does on a regular basis and you may find a solution.
Also, as others have said, be sure you structure the enhancement with the correct apex in the stress area to give strength to the enhancement.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to keep her enhancements a bit shorter until all the damage has grown out - the gels you are using are very flexible and if her nails are in pretty poor, thin condition, this could also be adding the their strength, or lack of it.
Have you tried this client with acrylics?

Definately agree.I love calgel (similar to bio) but i will only do tips on people that i know will follow exactly what i tell them to and thats not many and definately no one thats used to concrete from the nss.
Calgel ,and i imagine bio, are wonderful for nno on people that will look after them.You can do short tips but it is not good if people want long talons...the strength just isnt there.
Also it may all look an easy system but it does take a while to get right in terms of application to stop it lifting but once you get it right it really is fantastic.
I offer ezflow gel it which is a hard gel alongside calgel and quite a few people have started on this with tips and then gone on to wear calgel once they have natural growth.

I too have alot of problems with doing extension with tips and they adre dropping off left, right and centre. I feel better that I am not alone I think I will really stay clear of doing and extensions at all the bio I love doing overlays with bio they are amazing and all my clients how quick there nails grow when they have it on. :)

Latest posts

Back