To be a nail tech'...Gifted or Worked your butt off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To be a good nail tech' .......is it a gift or just hard work?

• With enough practice anyone could.

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • A gift of dexterity is definately needed as well as practice.

Votes: 127 82.5%

• Total voters
I just had a conversation with Craig about dexterity.....he said it was about eye to hand coordination and skill and it's in you....he's a chef and can chop an onion at a thousand miles an hour, left or right handed, but in the same way he said he doesn't have the dexterity to play the guitar as his fingers wouldn't do it....I didn't even mention the guitar thing....so I guess, he says he has dexterity...so would he make a good nail technician? Nope, because he has no interest in nails.....what am I saying? I don't know either!:hug:

I was a chef before nails .......

I actually think you need a little bit of natural ability together with determination and also be able to work you but off to become a leader in your field!

almost everyone can paint, or be an artist (or bluff their way through it).
some have to paint by numbers (and still have trouble staying within the lines) others paint naturally and it comes from within.
This explains my thoughts on the matter.

Many should recognise their lack of talent and give it up before they destroy every shred of credibility they have.

No matter how many courses you do, it's difficult to teach artistic ability.

While being passionate, and taking as many courses as you can, and eating up all the books you can find, and practicing hours upon hours can make you a good tech or at least a half decent one....

You either 'have it' or you don't.

Wonderful musicians go to juliard to become great... and get there and realize that all their training won't be enough. They won't reach their goal.
Many singers take classes and sing and sing and sing.
BUT while they may be able to hold a note, or do a vibrato nicely, and we enjoy listening to them.... they'll never be great.
Not because they haven't been 'discovered', but because their voice simply is NOT that good naturally, as compared to some others.

That's the difference between good & decent or great!
The 'natural' ability, be it artistic tendencies and/or dexterity or combo of both.
It's there or it's not.

This is not to say that those reaching for the stars shouldn't. Of course they should. As long as they find joy in the reaching for those very same stars. Goals are good, Challenges are good. These things are good for you and make life worthwhile. Without them, it would be pretty d**m boring.

Many people who are simply 'good' or 'decent' at something, make a great living at doing that 'something'. Or at least, a basically comfortable one. And happily do so. No reason why they can't.

However, there is a distinct difference as well, between good & decent and 'no hope in h**l". Unfortunately, you see examples of this all the time. People are passionate about something.. and there is absolutely no way they'll make it. No matter what they do.
American Idol try-outs are a perfect example.
Some of those voices.. I don't care how many hours of vocal classes they get... they're never going to sound good, never mind great, no matter how hard they try. It's sad, but it's a fact.
They need to find a new dream, a new goal. And if they can be happy just playing at singing in the shower, while pursuing a different career, why not.
It doesn't mean that you have to let go of singing altogether. Just don't make a career out of it.

Well, that's my rant
LOL :lol:

You really have to work hard to be good in this business. anyone can be a nail tech but a good one? that's a completely different story! So while i think practise is paramount, i do think you need a certian gift... the gift of patience perhaps?!!! Seriously, you need to have people skills, a gift of what is aesthetically pleasing (although i think this can be learned), you do need patience, a lot of determination and motivation in bucketfuls. for example, my friend couldn't be a nail tech even if she wanted to be. I don't think she would have the first clue how to talk to strangers or be able to create a nice nail with a brush! it's not as easy as ppl think!! xx

You really have to work hard to be good in this business. anyone can be a nail tech but a good one? that's a completely different story! So while i think practise is paramount, i do think you need a certian gift... the gift of patience perhaps?!!! Seriously, you need to have people skills, a gift of what is aesthetically pleasing (although i think this can be learned), you do need patience, a lot of determination and motivation in bucketfuls. for example, my friend couldn't be a nail tech even if she wanted to be. I don't think she would have the first clue how to talk to strangers or be able to create a nice nail with a brush! it's not as easy as ppl think!! xx
I understand what you're saying Kadie, however don't you think that communication skills or any skills for that matter can be taught? Dedication goes with out saying, but the question is, do you believe that people are born with a skill of natural coordination and dexterity?

One to ponder on, eh?

Like, some people are academic, some are artistic, some have photographic memories, these I believe are things you are born with... a gift.
IMO being a nail technician comes under the artistic category.

Am I boiling peoples brains here?:lol:
Interesting to see all your views though!

i think they can be taught jules, but it doen't necessarily mean you are good! some people no matter how much 'learning' they do are still bad at communicating. However, those that are weak in some areas excel in others...we can;t have it all!!

i think they can be taught jules, but it doen't necessarily mean you are good! some people no matter how much 'learning' they do are still bad at communicating. However, those that are weak in some areas excel in others...we can;t have it all!!
Fair comment. I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet here.:lol:

IMO (for what it's worth) I don't care if you're the Leonardo Da Vinci of nails and ooze artistic talent out of every pore while showing the dexterity of filing both hands at once, if you haven't got customer services/communication skills you won't succeed.

I don't want to pay my hard earned cash for a great set of nails if the tech can't chat, be polite etc..
Having any treatment hair, nails .... is about the whole experience.

I think without these skills, no matter how good your craft is, you won't be successful

I don't think I'm gifted or artistic, I think I have learned my craft.

Mozart
Stephen Hawking
Muhammed Ali
Elvis Presley
Albert Einstein
Michelangelo

I could never put myself in that league!

IMO (for what it's worth) I don't care if you're the Leonardo Da Vinci of nails and ooze artistic talent out of every pore while showing the dexterity of filing both hands at once, if you haven't got customer services/communication skills you won't succeed.

I don't want to pay my hard earned cash for a great set of nails if the tech can't chat, be polite etc..
Having any treatment hair, nails .... is about the whole experience.

I think without these skills, no matter how good your craft is, you won't be successful

I do agree with you here.

I am aware of a tech that had great skills but found it difficult to comunicate with customers and other staff, so it did not work our for her!

Great thread by the way Jules, I do agree with you that some poeple are almost born with the artistic flare for doing anything that involves design, structure and is pleasing to the eye.

From when i was young, my mum always knew i would be artistic, but it took me a long time to really find what i truely loved to do. I did Graphic Design, I had my own business as a balloon decorator at weddings etc, but i was never truely happy till i was doing nails.

Now i'm not saying that my nails are anywhere near perfect, because they aren't. I have been doing nails for nearly 3 years now, but still strive to be better with training etc, but my trainer always says to me, when she shows me a new technique, she usually only has to tell me once for it to fall into place.

Artistic things do seem to come naturally to me, but i don't always find it easy to put it down on a canvas. what i mean is, i have all the ideas, but still have to work at applying it all.

Everyone can do it if they apply themselves, but i do think it comes more easily to some than others. Sorry to bore you all.:|

it would be great if educators recognised the true "no hopers" gently explained the situation to them and offered a refund. Rather than persisting and churning out a "so so" nail tech, only for them to eventually give up or go broke trying.
I mentioned my training refund experience many months ago (refunded 4 out of 6 students).

There is a responsibility issue here.
But i suppose money speaks louder...... (ain't it sad)?

it would be great if educators recognised the true "no hopers" gently explained the situation to them and offered a refund. Rather than persisting and churning out a "so so" nail tech, only for them to eventually give up or go broke trying. There is a responsibility issue here.
That's what I like about you Carl, your not one for sitting on the fence!:lol:

it would be great if educators recognised the true "no hopers" gently explained the situation to them and offered a refund. Rather than persisting and churning out a "so so" nail tech, only for them to eventually give up or go broke trying.
I mentioned my training refund experience many months ago (refunded 4 out of 6 students).

There is a responsibility issue here.

While I do agree with this for the most part...and it would be nice to see it happen.... some are a bit slower to "get it" than others...
How do you know the difference if it's someone that either A) lacks the talent or B)just slower to catch on in the techniques?

Yes, it's a money-money world.... sad in many cases that money speaks louder than anything else.

While I do agree with this for the most part...and it would be nice to see it happen.... some are a bit slower to "get it" than others...
How do you know the difference if it's someone that either A) lacks the talent or B)just slower to catch on in the techniques?

Yes, it's a money-money world.... sad in many cases that money speaks louder than anything else.

A)= experience
B)= experience

artistic is artistic, there are so many analogies (like giving a cigarette to a non smoker, they hold it like a drag queen with leprosy) you can actually tell by they way a person picks up a brush........anyways, i'd rather let someone more money hungry take responsibility for them, these "so so" techs have someones name on their certificates ......... it ain't mine.

i think most of us have a bit of artisitc tendancies , but i dont know if only gifted people can be good techs ?coz its like many things you learn the craft like you do with anything, i have always been artisitc (not drawing wise though ) i think theats why i did hair , then moved to nails ,
i know its took me a long time to become more happy with my nails and they still arnt as good as i want em , but i wouldnt give up wot i do coz i love it so much :green:

IMO i think that only artistic people will choose to work this job. The thing is that some of them are more artistic and some of them are not so mach. The first people dont need so mach practice like second, but after some years expirience they are in same level. With nail art and make-up the things are different, there noone can learn you how to hold the brush, you have to have this in your blood.

artistic is artistic, there are so many analogies (like giving a cigarette to a non smoker, they hold it like a drag queen with leprosy) you can actually tell by they way a person picks up a brush........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL:!:

Great question! In order to become good you have to practice. It takes a lot of work & effort & if you have no instinct & passion for it then I think there is no point.
I believe that the passion is essential as well as some talent in order to grasp it.
If the person really has no instinct then it can be difficult...

Latest posts

Back