Toddler Food

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fussy eater and an 'eat anything' eater. I understand what you are going through. my son is now 9 and he still eats hardly anything. I even took him doctors when he was a toddler cos it was driving me mad but the doctor told me to go and not to be so stupid!!.:eek:
I done a lot of research on it and one that stuck in my mind was about why fussy eaters are the way they are. They said it was because they had very sensitive tastebuds. They done a test on a group of toddlers, they gave them a slice of lemon. The kids that were not fussy put it in their mouths and after about 3/5 seconds they realised it was bitter. But the kids who were fussy knew as soon as it touched their lips.
My son is also funny with textures of food.
Try some meals with simple taste and not too many different textures it might work and might not but its worth giving it a try.
Totally understand what you are going through, sending you a big hug :hug:xx.

When my lads were growing and i took them to clinic every week i always got the same..."hes underweight" "what and how much does he eat?" "bulk his food up"

I got that peed off with it i stopped going, my boys was prem and 5lb scraps and even now at nearing 6 ft they are still under weight for their height.

Kids will eat when they need to eat, if they get a good mix of fruit & veg and have a varied diet it tastes and textures then dont worry, some children are small in build so will be lower weight.

My brother was 10 1/2 lb when born and for 3 months would touch nothing but yoghurts, the gp said if thats what he wants let him have it, if hes starving or very hungry he will eat other food.

By not making a fuss he son got fed up and started to eat.

Dont worry yourself hun, children have a knack of making us nervous wrecks...go with the flow and things will sort itself out :hug:

Underweight...overweight....bloody health visitors get on my wick....most of them haven't got kids...:mad:

I couldn't care less what mine weigh.... I look at them... they look 'normal' so thats my check-up.
I have 3 skinny ones...and 2 chunkier ones....

You have been given some fab recipe ideas so I won't add....but just don't worry....you sound like you are doing a great job already. :hug:

Just thought of a nice dessert though.... fromage frais and jelly mixed together then frozen....you could always put it back into the framage frais pots with lolly sticks in...!!!

Thanks everyone - I feel a bit better now!!

I just dread mealtimes because I know it will either be a chore to find something she'll eat or I'll make it and she won't eat it or throw it on the floor.

I bet the poor child is sick of nuggets and fish fingers!

I think most babies/todlers/young children go through this fussy eating stage! My son (age 2) is a bit of a nightmare too and doesn't eat much variety at all! (nor does my 8 year old!!) but I know he will one day, just got to give them a little time, but must keep giving them different food, and one day they eat it!!!!? No child will ever starve itself! dont worry, be patient, and persivere! Good luck

She eats all things like veg and salad and loads of fruit
If she's eating good food then don't be worried. Especially if she's tall for her age. Kids can only grow one way at a time - either up or out. What's 'normal' for one isn't for another. You know she eats when she wants so don't be concerned.

There's a good book out by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry Seinfelds wife) - 'Deceptively Delicious' which is for fussy eaters. Saw it on Oprah.

Ok guys I know this is way way way off topic but I need some help and as most of you are Mum's I thought you would be the best people to ask.

Emily is nearly 16 months now and she is not the best of eaters!!

The clinic tell me she is underweight but she is also very tall (off the scale in her book). I worry she doesn't eat enough but she lets me know when she is hungry.

Anyway, she won't let me feed her, she has to feed herself.

I like to cook things from scratch e.g. chicken nuggets, mini pizzas, fish fingers, etc. I am running out of things to make.

Have you any ideas/recipes for food she can feed herself e.g. finger foods that I can make myself and she can hold in her hand??

Thanks xxx

Hi Honey
Try having a look in your local library for toddler cookbooks,
Healthy Eating for babies & toddlers by Anne Sheasby, Jill Scott, Kathleen M Zelman

Annabel Karmel's Feeding your baby & Toddler the complete cookbook

Finger food for babies & toddlers Jennie Maizels

One of the great ones from the last book is oven chips made with butternut squash, carrot, parsnip, potatoe, pumpkin & sweet potato

Preheat oven to 180oc peel the veg & chop into holdable chips, (carrot, parsnip & sweet potato tend to shrink in the oven so cut them slightly larger)
Blanch the potatoes in boiling water for 3-4 minutes spray or brush the veg with oilthen onto a baking sheet & into oven for 20-25minutes (turn halfway through) pat off excess oil & leave to cool before serving.

Another I have tried & my little one & his friends loved where
Mini Samosas
Makes about 8
1 small potato, peeled & cubed
1 Tablespoon Oil
1/4 tablespoon of cumin seeds
1/2 small onion finely chopped
1/2 tsp mild curry paste
50g finely chopped mixed veg (carrots, green beans, peas, red pepper)
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 sheets of filo pastry
25g butted melted

Preheat oven to 200oc
cook the potato in boiling water until tender, then drain & set aside
heat the oil and gently fry the cumin seeds for 3 mins
add the onion and fry over a medium heat for about 5 mins
stir in the curry paste and cook for a further min, before adding the potatoe, veg, lemon juice.
Mix well
Cut each sheet of filo into 4 strips place a heaped tablespoon of mixture at the top of each strip.
Fold one corner of the filo over the filling to make a triangle. then fold the triangle over & overin alternate directions until the pastry strip is usedup & you have a neat triangular parcel.
Place samosas on a greased baking sheet, brush with the melted butter and bake for 5-6 mins until crips & golden.

Hope that helps

Carla

I feel so bad!

What with this diorreah and her not eating and clinic telling me she needs more calories!!

I feel it's my fault she won't eat!

Hi does she still drink milk, as it has lots of vitamins in. I know how hard it is when they are fussy eaters and they get ill, you can see the weight coming off.

My son loved his milk so even if he wasn't eating I didn't worry to much as long as he was drinking a pint of milk on a daily basis.

In fact hes 5 now and he still drinks a pint a day I have to warm it for him but funny enough he wont drink it at school

Hi guys!!

Thanks for your messages!!

I already have Annabel Karmel and Jenny Maizels books and they have helped.

I bought her some vitamin medicine at weekend to boost her up.

We still have the loose bowels (3 times yesterday :cry:)

I have bought some more ingredients to cook new meals with.

She does still have milk and she was on 3 x 8oz bottles a day and the Health Visitor told me she was having too much of it at her age and she shouldn't be having it at night :eek:.

I'm so confused - I thought milk was good for kids???

Hello, i have an 11 month old and i find it difficult to think of new ideas too. Have you been on the annabel karmel website, its great, loads of mums to talk to and a forum for recipes that everyone has posted in, its helped me lots. x

Also hav tried AK mini pasta shapes, ytou get them from boots and in her book tells you a few sauces to make, it always goes down well with my little one. x

Also hav tried AK mini pasta shapes, ytou get them from boots and in her book tells you a few sauces to make, it always goes down well with my little one. x

yup tried it hun! she didn't like them! LOL

Just got off the phone from the doctors.

They are referring her to a Child Health Clinic and Dietician to find out about the diorreah - yay finally doing something!!

Just got off the phone from the doctors.

They are referring her to a Child Health Clinic and Dietician to find out about the diorreah - yay finally doing something!!

Glad for you hun, the fussy eating does stress you out but what with the loose bowel movements i bet it was really stressing you out.

Hope it all gets sorted, xxx.

It was worrying me, especially with the underweight comments!!!

Vicki, i have just finished making a huge pile of fishcakes for Morgandie...she loves them and i can hide anything in them.

Basically mix your cooked mash, plenty of cooked green veggies, and whatever cooked fish you want (I've done some tuna, some salmon and some cod today) and mix it with some beaten egg, and primula cheese. Roll into a sausage and chill it for a couple of hours.

Then slice into cakes, press into breadcrumbs (using a bit more beaten egg if servinf now) and either shallow fry for a afew mins each side....or freeze in a big bag! The you can pull them out of them freezer when you want them

Also Morgandie loves the little mini pittas....and you can stuff anything in those and she can feed herself!

Thanks hun!

I bought loads of new things at weekend so am going to spend my day off tomorrow making her tasty foods!

Trying pasta and sauce for tea tonight - hope she feeds herself!!

Morgandie and I both have a spoon at mealtimes and then she copies Mummy - only problem is sometimes she tries to feed me!

God I'm pants at this Mum stuff!!

No you're not :smack: - the very fact your even thinking about what to feed her, that she likes AND is good for her is a darn sight more that a lot of mums who just shove whatevers easy in their LO's mouths!

You're a GREAT mum!:hug:

Latest posts

Back