TPTW ... Starting Up a Nail Business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A license would be perfect, as I know that the hours would need to be put in in order to obtain it.
But why should I give freely notes to the students on what they missed? they missed the class and until they ask they wont get! it may sound harsh but back to the thread this is about the business of nails! I dont get let off my VAT because I dont know how to file for it properly! You must use your inititive at all stages, if you dont turn up for class you may miss vital information, I have wonderful students who are eager to progress and do not want to be held back by students who are 2wks behind.
I have my lesson plans, notes and attendance records. the students who have shown up wk aft wk I give eveything to as I appreciated so much what was given to me. My class is generic so I explain to them about many products as I've said before Research, research, research, perfect your craft and enjoy what you do.
If you follow these you enevitably end up seeking out those who are the best as you want to be the best, you start your business and career in the right way.

A license would be perfect, as I know that the hours would need to be put in in order to obtain it.
But why should I give freely notes to the students on what they missed? DON'T!!! it's not what I mean, I wanted to say that!!! they missed the class and until they ask they wont get! it may sound harsh but back to the thread this is about the business of nails! I dont get let off my VAT because I dont know how to file for it properly! You must use your inititive at all stages, if you dont turn up for class you may miss vital information, I have wonderful students who are eager to progress and do not want to be held back by students who are 2wks behind.
I have my lesson plans, notes and attendance records. the students who have shown up wk aft wk I give eveything to as I appreciated so much what was given to me. My class is generic so I explain to them about many products as I've said before Research, research, research, perfect your craft and enjoy what you do.
If you follow these you enevitably end up seeking out those who are the best as you want to be the best, you start your business and career in the right way.
yes, def!!
the problem with a license is that it's not a real quality proof... like a restaurant (here at last) any body can have a license (you just have to pay) so what.

I supose it goes on and on, we have a group of experts in the form of HABIA that are helping straighten out these issues, so hopefully the future looks promising. I just hope that the future will also see Tech's like ourselves teaching better standards and bringing bodies such as ITEC into the new millenium.
I feel the information is out there you just need the drive, yes sometimes you can have a bad experience (I've had loads) but to get back out there and find decent training and oppurtunities takes guts and this is what this thread is about - those who do leaving those who dont behind in their dust!

Wow you guys, I'm sooo blown by the fact that people (a) pay for school then don't show up (I also agree about not helping them or giving them the notes they missed) and (b) that no license is issued after taking classes and passing the Board Exam. I couldn't agree with you more about the importance of self motivation and continuing education. Sadly, few licensed techs here seem to continue their education like hairstylist. I guess it's because many nail salon owners are busy cutting corners to boost profits and don't encourage the techs or let them know what educational opportunities are out there. I plan on encouraging my staff to stay educated and keeping them informed on the latest and greatest as I find it.

Doorie - I think a license WOULD help with ensuring skill quality etc. Here, future nail techs not only have to pass a written State Board Exam but a skill test (e.g., perform a manicure & pedicure using bright red nail polish so any mistakes are easily spotted by the Examiner etc..) as well to receive their license. One also can not teach without logging in enough hours and taking a test to be a "Master" stylist etc. You can't even sit for a State Board Exam without first having logged a required number of hours in an accredited nail or cosmetology school/program

WOW!?! They don't require a license?!?!?! How dangerous! So does one even need to attend a school before setting up shop some place (in a salon or on their own) to be a nail tech?! No wonder the "masses" don't show respect for the profession, though they should.
Yes, it is awful. To give you an example of this, about a year ago now someone opened up a salon near to me, offering nails and waxing, a lot of people said, Oh that's your competition on your doorstep. After an initial bit of a panic, I thought oh well lets just see what happens and good luck to her. She didn't affect my business very much at all and I hardly gave her a second thought until I noticed she was closed. Turns out she was not even qualified, the very thought makes my blood run cold. :eek:

She has kept the premises on and is re-opening as a wait for it........a bakers!!!!! Reminds me of Mr Benn :lol: what am I going to be today?!!

mmmm I'm of two minds when it comes to licensing.... not to overtly direct people to another forum but if you read on the bt board there are a lot of problems with state board licensing. I agree that there should be something in place but as to what will work? mmm.

Back to the main point of the thread: passion,knowledge, confidence and driving force is what makes a successful business (I think).

Wow you guys, I'm sooo blown by the fact that people (a) pay for school then don't show up (I also agree about not helping them or giving them the notes they missed) and (b) that no license is issued after taking classes and passing the Board Exam. I couldn't agree with you more about the importance of self motivation and continuing education. Sadly, few licensed techs here seem to continue their education like hairstylist. I guess it's because many nail salon owners are busy cutting corners to boost profits and don't encourage the techs or let them know what educational opportunities are out there. I plan on encouraging my staff to stay educated and keeping them informed on the latest and greatest as I find it. I don't think only the salon owners are to blame. I think many nail techs feel like *ok so now I'm here and I'm good enough and why the hell would I want to travel to improve my skills*

Doorie - I think a license WOULD help with ensuring skill quality etc. Here, future nail techs not only have to pass a written State Board Exam but a skill test (e.g., perform a manicure & pedicure using bright red nail polish so any mistakes are easily spotted by the Examiner etc..) I passed it :) as well to receive their license. One also can not teach without logging in enough hours and taking a test to be a "Master" stylist etc. this is well needed here as well... You can't even sit for a State Board Exam without first having logged a required number of hours in an accredited nail or cosmetology school/program
on a side note... a girl I know "passed" a diploma or something in Florida... and her nails are really bad. she's all about how it was in the US and it's just so crazy she cannot do a single nail right. doesn't mean your education system is bad, just that the paper she got means crap when you look at her (poor) job.

For what it is worth, what I have observed from many newly licenced US nail techs here on the Geek site, is that they ask all the same questions that new ones do here in the UK. They still seem unprepared to enter the business world of nails even after they receive their licence.

The reason I think, is because the focus of attention of the US beauty schools seems to have changed over the years from teaching students how to do beautiful nails to focusing more on passing the State Boards which, although very important, does not ensure that students do beautiful work or are even prepared to work.

Here in the UK the focus is (on CND classes anyway can't speak for others) on getting students prepared to work in a salon to a standard that can compete with others in the same business.

As always, the hardest thing to do is to find a balance. To my way of thinking, students want to work and get money for what they do ... so I prepare them for that foremost. Of coarse we do not have state boards, but even when students have got their National Vocational Qualification from a college or beauty school (which is a minimum standard AND it varies enormously) they are not prepared for actually working .... which kind of defeats the object of the whole thing really.

But now the thread seems to have gone off coarse a bit, once again! All interesting stuff though.

Wow this is all VERY enlightening info....I really had no idea. I also agree about a license not meaning you do quality work and Gigi's further point that most schools focus on getting you "State Board" ready rather than as highly skilled as a newbie can be. I found that unless you went to a school affiliated with a company (e.g., Aveda or CND), students potentially miss that.

Sorry to have gotten the thread off topic...please don't throw me out yet! :cry: Back to the thread topic...... :)Grafxgal I couldn't agree with you more about the keys to a successful business.

a few yrs ago, my educator set up her education programm, it would be one year long, 5days a week, some parts at "school", theory, practice, and weeks in partners' nail studios, great idea, and after 6 months, marketing, acounting, etc. but nobody thought they needed a yr to "do nails"

Don't you all think it is sad that in our profession, I would say that 99%, of the people who are attracted to it start out with the mentality of "where can I buy the cheapest products" or get the cheapest education? What kind of mentality is that for someone who wishes to have success in business?

I'm just making the observation that so many enter our business with no funds at all to start a business so they start out with cheap naff education, and cheap naff products and they never get anywhere. I would guess that less than 30% of all those who try to enter the nail industry actually ever get anywhere with it or ever make any money at it. The reason being that they are not dedicated to it as a business. They think it would be 'fun' or sounds like a cool thing to do ... use it as a little hobby etc etc when they could do so much more if they showed willing to go for it and went for it in the right way ... Right from the start!.

I hear many say, "I'll give up the day job when I have a sufficient number of clients!!" But how can you ever have sufficient clients if you don't give up the day job?? I know it is scary ... but what change isn't scary? You have to believe and you have to have that sense of adventure too and confidence in yourself and your ability and the funds to do it. If you don't have that or at least the expectation of that, don't you think it is better to give it up altogether?

I talk to many who do really well in their nail businesses, they tell me they KNEW from day one that they could and would do it (I have heard that from hundreds of flourishing nail tecnicians) ... and they have done it. They borrowed or found the funds to do it and they worked like hell and dedicated themselves to growing their business and made a thriving success of it. That is not just a coincidence.
Thank you for that!!!

Im just starting out, have given up the day job and have that excited feeling in the pit of my stomach that I can do this!!!!! You've just spurred me on even more!!

I'd love to know how all the ones who were so inspired by this thread are doing now?? Hopefully too busy to post. :hug:

• Am I good at what I do? I have my strengths & weaknesses but YES I am good at what I do.
  • Have I got a pretty good head for business? I've got a great head for business - got a business degree.
  • Am I a hard worker and prepared to give it my all? I do & I am. Open from 10am til 10pm Mon-Fri & will do Sat & Sun if client needs to.
  • Have I got the money I need to set up in business without doing it on a shoestring?? I've got financial backing.
  • Am I good with people? I am GREAT with people & really take an interest in my clients. I do not allow myself to get bothered by any clients & look for the good in each person.
  • Am I in the right location to do what I want to do? Got a number of nail-bars close by offering 'cheap/fast' service - no appointment necessary. But I offer refreshments & take genuine interest in my customers & I offer after hours appointments.
  • Have I got the family support I need to allow me to do what I know I must do to ensure my success? This one is vitally important. Without the backing of your partner and family to allow you to give your all to your business it will never get off the ground. Yes & No - family backs what I do 100%, but partner works away from home - i.e. 2weeks away/2 weeks home - and I've got 2 kids to look after while I work from home :) I have to schedule appointments around kids and when hubby is home ...

Wow!! This thread is MAJOR FOOD FOR THOUGHT!! Answering the above questions gives me direction, shows me where my strengths are in my business are and where there is room for improvement.

The hardest part for me has been the fact that very few of my customers want or get Nail Art done and it is the thing I LOVE to do the most - which has left me feeling like I'm not doing what I love. But, my way around that is to continually do my own nail art :green:

Again, GREAT thread... it's really got me thinking... and planning... !!

Don't you all think it is sad that in our profession, I would say that 99%, of the people who are attracted to it start out with the mentality of "where can I buy the cheapest products" or get the cheapest education? What kind of mentality is that for someone who wishes to have success in business?

I'm just making the observation that so many enter our business with no funds at all to start a business so they start out with cheap naff education, and cheap naff products and they never get anywhere. I would guess that less than 30% of all those who try to enter the nail industry actually ever get anywhere with it or ever make any money at it. The reason being that they are not dedicated to it as a business. They think it would be 'fun' or sounds like a cool thing to do ... use it as a little hobby etc etc when they could do so much more if they showed willing to go for it and went for it in the right way ... Right from the start!.

I hear many say, "I'll give up the day job when I have a sufficient number of clients!!" But how can you ever have sufficient clients if you don't give up the day job?? I know it is scary ... but what change isn't scary? You have to believe and you have to have that sense of adventure too and confidence in yourself and your ability and the funds to do it. If you don't have that or at least the expectation of that, don't you think it is better to give it up altogether?

I talk to many who do really well in their nail businesses, they tell me they KNEW from day one that they could and would do it (I have heard that from hundreds of flourishing nail tecnicians) ... and they have done it. They borrowed or found the funds to do it and they worked like hell and dedicated themselves to growing their business and made a thriving success of it. That is not just a coincidence.

Hy Geeg

I studied Hairdressing & Beauty (way back in 86) for 3 years & left because I needed more money :cry:

I worked in an administrative role & then management in a career supplying the building industry (yes hairy a** blokes) lol...

In the last 2 years of this my days were becoming boring & tedios, the people I worked with & worked for were annoying the hell out of me with there lack of motivation & ambition..

I had always had nail enhancments on for over 10 years, & I thought I would love to do this..

It was a huge decision for me to make, leaving a career that paid a fortune, but I knew as soon as I did my Creative course (encouraged by the salon that i went to for my nails) My heart was in it from the start, I thought the only person I wanna work for is ME...

I think you know when something is right for you when you give it your best shot over & over, always finding inspiration and ideas from fellow nails professionals.

I have heard so many of my clients say "OOO I would love to do what you do it looks so easy"..... I really go to town on them & explain its not just about clagging a nail on & filing it to a desired shape!!! theres the science, the skill, the love, the ambition, the confidence, the training , the problems...etc etc... behind it all.

I made it work because my heart & head was in it & thats why I believe I`m doing "fan bloody tastic"

I agree to many people enter this industry thinking they can be rich & sucessful with no training or a low grade standard of training....

Intelligence without ambition - Is like a bird without wings
Salvador Dali

& a big THANKYOU to this site,, which most will agree we couldnt do it without....

Love
Gill
Sahara Nail Spa :)

What an awesome thread!

When my fiancee and I moved from the city we were in to a small town, I chose NOT to find a new job as I wanted to become a nail tech. My kids live with their dad and I only have them every other weekend and holidays...my fiancee works 6 days on then has 6 days off, commuting back to the city we used to live in. I did NOT want my kids to be with me and me have to go spend all day at some job I didn't like and not get to see them...same goes for my fiancee - "hi honey, glad you're home for 6 days, but I have to work 5 of them..."

Initially my ex-husband would make cracks if I said we were broke - "of course you are...you aren't working." And I would say "actually, it's because I am sinking alot of money into my SCHOOLING." It's only very recently, when I can't just jump up and come stay with the kids because HE has made plans and I have clients booked every day of the week that he is showing some respect for my JOB.

Yes, I took a chance not going out and working, becoming educated in something I hoped to God I'd love as much as I thought I would (I totally do!) and trying a new path in my life.

Would I change anything? Not a chance. Do I work my ass off doing my very best work for my clients? I sure do. Do I love my chosen path? ABSOLUTELY, but it didn't just fall into my lap. I am still new, and still building my client base, and of course, always still learning, but I am slowly but surely becoming more successful everyday.

I don't think I would be able to say that if I was stuck in some office working for someone else...

The last three posts should be a model to all who aspire to become a business in nails that it is not done with a part time ambition .. it's heart and soul that brings success.

Fantastic job you three .... you are what the industry is really all about and it is your type of business that will not only flourish but still be around after this recession is over ... bigger and better than ever. Yes ... you will have to work longer hours for the same reward at the moment but you are the type who will do it because your heart and soul is in it and you have the talent.

**Let the shming shmongers keep shming shmonging away ... they are not what we are about.

** See the thread on shming shmong nails if you want the best laugh you've had in a long time ... and read it ALL. :lol:

gonna put my 2 penny worth in :green:

I think the nail & beauty industry get taken way too lightly now days i think some people think itsa very glamerous job and very easy when i for one know that it really isnt its the most hardest thing i have ever done in my life.

I have been in this industry since a very young age still young now and to be honest now days i find myself eat,drink and sleep the beauty industry in nails. I do think i give a great customer care to my clients and new clients im always there to help when they need something answering or if they have had a problem with another beauty therapist and need something correcting. I used to be not really confident with people but now i have really built that up.

I dont need anyone to 'push' or edge me on to do this as most of you know some of my family (apart from my mum) are not that supportive of me and not too interested in what i am doing but i stil keep going as its what i want to do. Im not in the beauty industry for the money or extra cash and if im honest i get qutie annoyed when people say 'oh i may start a course for nails it would be good cash to earn' because its just not about that of course it is a nice extra but its about the passion you have for it. on making others look beautiful and sometimes having to deal with the not so nice things.

I will be honest when i first started it was about finding the cheapest products but ive wisend up now to think you need the best product for your client as theyare paying for not the service but the products aswell. If your going to invest in the cheapest products then this is what your clients are getting and its not that good!!

I do know that i am going to go far in the beauty industry and nails and i do know one day i will have my very own salon in years to come. my aim is to actually provide the best tans and best nails etc in my whole area.

Also some people do forget becoming a nail technician isnt about just doing nails it involves allot more ie. creativness, passion, a business head as you also need to be able to sort out the advertising side and marketing, taxes etc.

I have to be honest, when I left my well paid job and stressful career to spend more time with my family, I only saw the beauty business as something to top up my income when working part time.

I decided on Spray Tanning and Nail Enhancements, and I admit I was only thinking of nails as something I could make a decent profit on.

What I didn't expect - and what took me completely by suprise was the impact creating nails and producing beautiful manicured hands would have on me! I don't know what happened - it's like an itch and I can't stop scratching it...

It is now over a year since I started, and two college courses (evening), one private course (could have chosen better) and endless hours of practice, practice and then some more practice and I am hooked.

I now know that this will be my long term career, I love what I am doing, I still have a long way to go - but I will enjoy every step of it. Gigi, I have read and reread your tutorials, on another thread someone asked if you would produce a DVD - please consider this... :lol:

A big thank you to Nail Geek, it has been a HUGE help, and all you Geeks out there (especially Sparklybits who kindly took me under her wing and is dedicated to helping the newbies out there).

Excellent thread, fantastic and inspirational stories - this has made my day.

"Don't you all think it is sad that in our profession, I would say that 99%, of the people who are attracted to it start out with the mentality of "where can I buy the cheapest products" or get the cheapest education? What kind of mentality is that for someone who wishes to have success in business?"

Do you know i started in this industry by accident. My nail tech did my infills and all my friends for just £10. BARGAIN!!!!! She then had an affair with one our husbands :eek: so we decided paying her £10 wasnt worth the risk! :lol:
So i thought "I know, i'll do them instead, i mean how HARD can it be?"

Turns out actually it was! hehe

So i tried the cheap cheap option with cheap training and cheap products. I made loads of mistakes, learnt loads of lessons and only then when i was confident did i invest in better training and products.

I was only ever going to be "pretend nail tech" until i met my tutor who is my inspiration and my continuous guide and mentor. She gave me the guidence, confidence and taught me the skills i needed.

I now have a new but thriving business that will only go from strength to strength because im a tenacious cow and want and will give only the best.

I personally dont believe it is always neccersary to start with the "best" training or products. If you are are destined to be a great technician you will learn regardless and seek the best once you are at the right place.

For every tech that starts with "cheap" training and products and fails there are probably just as many who start with "best" training and products and also fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally dont believe it is always neccersary to start with the "best" training or products. If you are destined to be a great technician you will learn regardless and seek the best once you are at the right place.

For every tech that starts with "cheap" training and products and fails there are probably just as many who start with "best" training and products and also fail.[/quote]

How interesting .... more or less exactly what I said the other day and got slammed for saying. :lol: Of course it is true. Excuse me, but It's obvious really to anyone. Why would a person who is good at their craft not want to use the best tools?? It would be just plain stupid not to ..... not to mention letting yourself down in my opinion.

I'm glad your business is going from strength to strength and your last comment is also true. Many start out driving the Rolls of products and give up far too soon, think they've got the best education and then go to cheaper brands ... but many many times they also go back when they have sufficient exerience to appreciate what they had in the first place. It can work both ways.

Latest posts

Back