Trying client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry's Nails

Reaction score
I have a client (that I have mentioned about a few times in other threads and posts) who doesnt understand that her enhancements need to be infilled or rebalanced every few weeks.
As I am getting busier all the time with newer clients, and my regulars, sometimes I cant just drop everything at home and run to this particular lady to soak off and replace a full set. (She rathers this than a refill, even if there is nothing wrong with her current set.)
Well, the other night she rang me and said she had broken a nail. I said I couldnt fit her in until the next week as I was fully booked in the evenings on top of working 40 hours a week as an Office Manager. She reluctantly accepted this and made an appointment. I told her that if I had a cancellation I would ring her because she is one of my regulars. She rings me a few nights later saying she would like to purchase some acetone remover and soak her own nails off. I obliged, only because I couldnt fit her it. As she cant drive, I delivered the product to her and gave her written instruction on how to use it. She has seen me remove her nails many times, and said she knew how to do it. I only charged her $5 for the product (approx 150ml).
The next night she rings me and says - Oh I went and got my nails done in a salon, (my opposition) they are gel, can you come and put polish on them for me? I asked why she wasnt happy with her nails and she stated that they looked like chunky shovels!!!!! I said that I would come and take a look, but warned her that I wasnt bringing my kit due to not wanting to work on someone elses enhancements.
OMG is all I can say !!!!!!! They were honestly the most horrible looking nails I had ever seen made by a fully qualified tech / hair dresser. The were approx half an inch long from the free edge (unblended tips) they were flat with no apex at all and lumpy and bumpy and massively thick. Im not joking they were about 2-3mm thick at the free edge. I could see that no filing or shaping had been done and no sealing coat applied.
Anyway she asked me to fix them. I flatly refused and told her that is she wasnt happy with her new nails to return to the tech that applied them, she paid $80 for this set. She asked if I could soak them off for her, and I explained that her gel is more than likely a file off system, and once again told her to return to the salon that applied them.
I guess the moral to my story is - patience is a virtue - if you want a good set of nails you need to wait for a good tech, dont just make an appointment with the first person who can fit you in.
Sorry this is so long and drawn out - but, would you have handled this the same way ???????????

I really admire Nail techs, it can be difficult sometimes when constantly being face to face with clients the whole day, especially difficult clients!
STORY:
At a salon I worked in a lady came in she flew interstate and had 1 hour to spare before an important meeting she had to attend. She wasn't happy with her nails and wanted a manicure before this meeting.
I was told She walked into the salon by passed the reception desk with her suitcase thumping along the ground, came straight out the back to where the treatment rooms are, opened one of the treatment room doors(mine), and said to the therapist (ME) who was working on a client in the room. I would like a manicure thank you. My client was in shock, I kindly directed her back to reception, where my then boss booked her in with me for the Manicure.
The manicure was a disaster everything I did she picked on. "OH your damaging my cuticles", "Don't make them to short!", "How are your painting skills before you polish my nails?" What a nightmare, thank God I am still here to tell the story.
Yes some people are just hard to deal with but it def makes lift interesting.:)

Yes I would. You did right. The only thing I may not have done is get her the acetone but this is only my personal view.

The clients you have had sound like nightmare's... Im glad I haven't came across anyone like this yet...xxxx

Sounds like a large glass of wine was in order after the day's you had....lol

Tracy x

Hi No matter which industry we are involved in there will always be difficult clients. I have learned this the hard way. The thing is though, they pay us and they spread the word to other people about whether they are happy or not with our services. They can make or break us. I would probably have squeezed her in to fix the nail when she first phoned to say that it was broken. I have done this for my regulars. They are the backbone of my growing business so I look after them. It keeps them coming back.
I have a difficult client and after she leaves I have a headache from clenching my teeth and each time she leaves I think 'I can't do that again' but I do and after all it's money in the bank. (albeit very hard earned with her :lol:)
Cheers
Karen

Hi No matter which industry we are involved in there will always be difficult clients. I have learned this the hard way. The thing is though, they pay us and they spread the word to other people about whether they are happy or not with our services. They can make or break us. I would probably have squeezed her in to fix the nail when she first phoned to say that it was broken. I have done this for my regulars. They are the backbone of my growing business so I look after them. It keeps them coming back.
I have a difficult client and after she leaves I have a headache from clenching my teeth and each time she leaves I think 'I can't do that again' but I do and after all it's money in the bank. (albeit very hard earned with her :lol:)
Cheers
Karen

I see your point of view - But honestly - I always SQUEEZE - her in. She never wants to make a maintanance appointment whilst she is having a new set applied. She just expects me to drop everything when she rings, because she has broken a nail - or she needs an infill or rebalance but freaks out saying she needs a removal and replacement!!!! Like I said before I work 40 hours a week in another job, I then work a furthur 2-4 hours after hours as a tech. In this time somehow I am a mother of a 3yr old and a 16 yr old, and also a wife. I guess thats why I work for myself after hours as a tech, so I can work my own hours - or maybe even have a night off every now and then LOL (hardly)
Truely this has been going on since she became my client. (Over 18 months now). This is why I didnt squeeze her in this time .............. I know that this has made her go to the opposition - and hence she is unhappy with her new set of gels, but maybe it is a lesson learnt in the end.

I'm sure you've explained to her till you're blue in the face that she can get an in-fill rather than needing a whole new set.... what is her explanation? Is she scared of the drill?

Also are you charging a higher price for a new set (and obviously the soak-off too)?

I see your point of view - But honestly - I always SQUEEZE - her in. She never wants to make a maintanance appointment whilst she is having a new set applied. She just expects me to drop everything when she rings, because she has broken a nail - or she needs an infill or rebalance but freaks out saying she needs a removal and replacement!!!! Like I said before I work 40 hours a week in another job, I then work a furthur 2-4 hours after hours as a tech. In this time somehow I am a mother of a 3yr old and a 16 yr old, and also a wife. I guess thats why I work for myself after hours as a tech, so I can work my own hours - or maybe even have a night off every now and then LOL (hardly)
Truely this has been going on since she became my client. (Over 18 months now). This is why I didnt squeeze her in this time .............. I know that this has made her go to the opposition - and hence she is unhappy with her new set of gels, but maybe it is a lesson learnt in the end.

Frankly, if whe wants the kind of service she is wanting (and she deserves it) she should go to a salon where thay can accommodate her rather than someone who is working part time.

I am not being disrespectful of part timers but nails IS a vocation and if you can't give your clients that sort of attention then they are better off finding a full time salon who can. Don't you agree?

Last edited:
No I dont agree entirely with what you are saying, there are loads of part-time techs on this site who give a 110% to their clients and who do a better job than some of the techs working all day who get bored or fed up! Yes like artists making beautiful nails is a skill and we have to love what we do to produce the work we are happy with but not all of us have the luxury of being in your shoes (not that you have not worked hard to get there). Some of us have to put our families and bills first and our dreams of being a successful nail tech and business woman second.

Charlotte

No I dont agree entirely with what you are saying, there are loads of part-time techs on this site who give a 110% to their clients and who do a better job than some of the techs working all day who get bored or fed up! Yes like artists making beautiful nails is a skill and we have to love what we do to produce the work we are happy with but not all of us have the luxury of being in your shoes (not that you have not worked hard to get there). Some of us have to put our families and bills first and our dreams of being a successful nail tech and business woman second.

Charlotte

All I said was (replying to the poster of the thread and not talking about everyone in general) that if she cannot offer the service the client wants, then the client should go elsewhere. She seems to want her to go elsewhere .... so she should.

My family (all 7 of us) always came first with me ... with 7 of us, it had to Hun. I just arranged things so that I worked full time as well. I've walked in your shoes. But I still had a career. You are right ... it was and is hard work. No argument with me on that one!

Ok Gigi point taken but I think sometimes what you say and what you mean get interpreted incorrectly.

Charlotte

I'm not a nail tech....but, I agree with Gigi, your client is booking you for a professional job as a nail tech, why should she care that you have worked 40 hours elsewhere.

I understand where you are coming from Kerry. I too work 40 hours in a day job, have two children and my nails business after hours. (This is the way I've chosen and it suits my circumstances) As part timers we need to be careful not to take on too many new clients so that we have time for the maintenance of our current ones. None of my clients pre book their maintenance when they have a full set but I try to work out approx. when they are due and pencil them in. I now know which clients will go two weeks, three weeks and even four weeks and I know their preferred times to visit. If they don't book these times, i just look on it as bonus time to spend with my family.
It would probably be best to tell your client to keep going to the other salon. If she doesn't suit the way you schedule then its not going to work for either of you anyway
Cheers
Karen

My sister lives 100 miles from me and has a nail tech who has her own salon she sometimes has to wait 4 weeks for next appointment because nail tech is good and very busy i advised her not to change because she is always pleased with results she gets!!! If u find a good tech then stay with them:)

Sorry but why should we wait round for clients who won't make appointments, as they want to make there nails last as long as they can, then phone you in a panic when there almost hanging off.
surely were here to build a business around ourselves. and our families, otherwise we might just as well work for someone else. I can't understand some geeks replies to this thread. so contradictory.......
thg....

I cannot seem to get my head around why going to a salon would be different to part time when it comes to squeezing clients in.

If clients don't rebook they cannot expect an appointment, they might be lucky, but chances are that they aren't. If a client don't rebook at our salon ofcourse we don't leave a gap in our calendar, time is money and we cannot predict excactly when they can make it. We work 3 people and are fully booked 3 weeks in advance, so impossible to just get a day to day appointment.
And to be honest why in earth shouldn't they plan ahead and rebook. Of course there is the odd broken nail or something else, but at a regularly basis they just have to rebook to get their nails done.

I cannot seem to get my head around why going to a salon would be different to part time when it comes to squeezing clients in.

If clients don't rebook they cannot expect an appointment, they might be lucky, but chances are that they aren't. If a client don't rebook at our salon of course we don't leave a gap in our calendar, time is money and we cannot predict exactly when they can make it. We work 3 people and are fully booked 3 weeks in advance, so impossible to just get a day to day appointment.
And to be honest why in earth shouldn't they plan ahead and rebook. Of course there is the odd broken nail or something else, but at a regularly basis they just have to rebook to get their nails done.

Of course you have to encourage your clients to rebook on a regular basis, in no way am I implying that one shouldn't ... but come on, I ran a salon for 15 years (3 salons actually) and there is usually a way to fit someone in for an emergency .. there is always the odd cancellation or no show and a salon has allot more chance of availability because they are open all day and not just some days or part days.

All our clients knew that if they wanted a specific day or time they had to pre book or they wouldn't get it. We all need to be absolutely firm with clients about this. However, I burnt the midnight oil many a time in my salon to accommodate clients rather than turn business away. That is how I built my business ... I was there for them as and when, always. I do believe it was that vocational attitude that made and GREW my business into the success that it enjoyed.

I know that not everyone can do what I did. I'm not laying down the law; just sharing my point of view and experience.

Sorry but why should we wait round for clients who won't make appointments, as they want to make there nails last as long as they can, then phone you in a panic when there almost hanging off.
surely were here to build a business around ourselves. and our families, otherwise we might just as well work for someone else. I can't understand some geeks replies to this thread. so contradictory.......
thg....

Nowhere did I say that my clients try to make their nails last as long as they can. I simply said I know which clients can go two, three and four weeks before needing rebalance. I have a client who can go four weeks between rebalances and I'm not about to rip her off by insisting she come sooner.
I think you have missed the whole point of this thread. Kerry's client didn't have 'nails hanging off' she merely had a broken nail.
Also I didn't suggest that a salon wait around for clients to make appointments or that you leave a gap in your calendar for them I merely stated that I don't insist on my clients making a maintenance appointment. They don't need to. As I only have 10 - 12 clients they know that they will pretty much get the appointment they want when they do phone.
Because of my limited hours and the fact that I work from home, this is how I work.
Its fairly easy to get your head around. As you said you work three people and you open all day I assume so the chances are that it would be easier to get a break fixed at your salon than by a tech who works alone for only two hours per day.

Of course you have to encourage your clients to rebook on a regular basis, in no way am I implying that one shouldn't ... but come on, I ran a salon for 15 years (3 salons actually) and there is usually a way to fit someone in for an emergency .. there is always the odd cancellation or no show and a salon has allot more chance of availability because they are open all day and not just some days or part days.

All our clients knew that if they wanted a specific day or time they had to pre book or they wouldn't get it. We all need to be absolutely firm with clients about this. However, I burnt the midnight oil many a time in my salon to accommodate clients rather than turn business away. That is how I built my business ... I was there for them as and when, always. I do believe it was that vocational attitude that made and GREW my business into the success that it enjoyed.

I know that not everyone can do what I did. I'm not laying down the law; just sharing my point of view and experience.

Wasn't saing that this isn't the best thing to do, just that the client in speaking never booked for apps and always expected to be squeezed in which imo wouldn't work in a salon either.
All regulars who rebooks most of the time (or always, we have a few that has themselves booked out for the whole year) we squeeze in just as you did, when building your business you have to give a bit to gain a lot, so ofcourse we squeeze in when we can.
But a person who refuses to book again, we just don't work as hard to fit in when they call as they were warned about our tight schedule. And thats whether it's the tech working 40-50 hours or our parttime tech, so I was replying to whether this particulary client would be better of in a salon or not.:biggrin:

well i admire all you gals who work a full time job, part time nails/hair/beauty and also have a family. you must be exhausted, a full time hairdressing job is enough for me!

Latest posts

Back