Ugly duck nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats your opinion of Flared nails??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the way they look when their not to flared. I do alot of these, here in California its really popular!!

here in my city they are very popular
every girl teen & lady wants them

I love the way they look when their not to flared. I do alot of these, here in California its really popular!!

Yes this is what I gather, that they are very popular in your part of the world. It's only the last few months I've seen them but I just don't understand WHY people thing they look so nice.
Is it simply because they ARE different??

I don't mean to offend anyone and each to their own but personally I can't stand these flared nails or whatever they're called! I think they look disgusting. They make the hand look odd, unfeminine and clumsy and imo do not flatter ANYBODY.

Why anyone would ever want them is totally beyond my comprehension.

Having said that, well OK, I can still appreciate the skill it takes etc etc.

But I think they're horrid.

I'm sure you can all guess what I think of these nails. (where is the puke emotion when you want it?)

It must be a great style for all the nail techs who are incapable of doing beautiful work !!! Let's hope it doesn't catch on across the pond!

I'm sure you can all guess what I think of these nails. (where is the puke emotion when you want it?)

It must be a great style for all the nail techs who are incapable of doing beautiful work !!! Let's hope it doesn't catch on across the pond!

somehow geeg, i cant see it catching on here:lol:

It must be a great style for all the nail techs who are incapable of doing beautiful work !!!

I didn't dare put that but you can get away with it Geeg lol!

they make the fingers look awful....

I think its a really clever tech who does bad nails but has the gift of the gab and is passing them off as nail art:green:

I must be ACE at nails, I was churning out flares at an incredible rate on my foundation course!

I just did a quick google for these, and got two pics. The first one just looked like really badly done nails and I dont see how anyone could interpret these as a deliberate style. The second pic however (and I could cut my tongue out for saying this) didnt look bad. What I mean by that is, although the are not at all to my taste, I could see that they would appeal to someone. They look a bit 60's retro, and would have to be done VERY o.t.t to look "deliberate".

oh my god please its soooo ugly that i don't want to see it...!! what a shame from any nail technician doing those....sorry for those they like the shape!!!!!!

I'm not having a go at anyone for doing these nails. There must be people that are requesting them.
I'm just at a bit of a loss to understand why.
If the trend comes here then I will refuse to do them. JMHO.
I still don't understand where the trend originates from though??
I've googled for quite a while and Pink doesn't seem to sport them or anyone else tbh.
Any links would be good here.

being completely insane.. I am doing one today.
I hate hate vomit this shape.. but im not sure if its because i have never seen one i like? i mean most start an inch down the nail bed and look so unbalanced its ridiculous.

BUT i loves me a challenge.. so im off to the shed to find a shovel i can use as my muse.. and then .. Oh god someone stop me!

I had an "open mouth, insert foot" incident the other day in reguards to these shaped nails. I was chatting with a soon to be new client who was wearing a set of l/p pink whites, they were duckbilled/flared at the tips; I thought it was from a really inexperienced tech. I was explaining that I don't do l/p, but do gel. I was telling her about the perks to wearing gels, and mentioned once I started doing her nails, she'd see the difference immeadiately, starting with her nail shape slimming up. The client seemed confused, and asked "slimming up"? I said "yes! by narrowing the shape at the free edge she'd notice a much slimmer nail and finger." She sheepishly said " I asked for this shape, don't you read fashion magazines?, it's really hot right now".

DOH!!

Obviously I dont' read the right ones, even though I did catch a set in the most recent "Nails" mag.

I still think it's in no way flattering.

Shiloh

Obviously I dont' read the right ones, even though I did catch a set in the most recent "Nails" mag.

I still think it's in no way flattering.

Shiloh

Would be interesting to see a copy of this in Nails mag. Can we view this mag on line?

im going to start a new trend of stiletto toenails (unless someone beat me to it, of course)

i was looking at the beautytech link and had a flashback to a few years ago. i DO remember seeing these here in oklahoma --- they were very popular with the gangs in muskogee!!!! 0.0

Last edited:
being completely insane.. I am doing one today.
I hate hate vomit this shape.. but im not sure if its because i have never seen one i like? i mean most start an inch down the nail bed and look so unbalanced its ridiculous.

BUT i loves me a challenge.. so im off to the shed to find a shovel i can use as my muse.. and then .. Oh god someone stop me!

can you take a pic to show us.
and let us know if you found it difficult to do technically speaking.

i think it would be fairly hard to get them to flare out like that whilst still doing a good job on the finishing etc. also i wonder how you build the stress area to support them.

those wide old nails would catch on everything, and i rekon they'd hurt like mad when you bashed 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back