Unhappy with minx :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skankinchar

Reaction score
hi guys, i was wondering if you could help me...
I had my finger nails minxed last week, (tuesday 9th) and by the wednesday they were starting to lift. I know that minx don't was as long on the fingernails, but surely they should be lasting longer than that? By saturday there were peeling off my nails and I had to take them off because they didnt look good anymore. Is this normal? I am a hairdresser and have my hands in water a fair bit, but the lady who did them said that she knew a hairdresser and hers lasted for ages.
Sorry if I'm moaning a bit but it just felt like a bit of a waste of money :(

Everyone is different,,,, some people they last and some they don't,,,,, minx doesn't last long on me,,,,, I have a set on that I did last night and one is starting to lift,,,, on my toes how ever I have had a set on for two weeks now and their great.
Fingers should only be for specail occasions really,,,,,, and I remember reading somehwere that touching them and smoothing them makes them lift,,,, I'm trying so hard not to touch tem and I have found that the one that is already lifting is the finger I use alot like,,, opening cans,,, scatching my head.
Don't be put off by them,,,,, they great for toes.
Kerry

ok, that's made me feel much better about the whole thing :) i must admit i did love having them on and the response from people was fantastic! maybe ill go for toes next time and show them off in my flip flops!!

If you do go for fingers again, you can give them a slick of clear nail varnish or ask you tech to L&P over the top ?

I did the tips on my sister last weekend with a L&P overlay and they have not budged !

Were the Minx applied using heat....?

yeah, under the infared lamp?

If you are washing hair on a daily basis then I would say this is why. If the tips of your fingers are being rubbed on something then this will cause them to lift. Are you giving them enough time to go cold again after having your hands in water?
x

The absolute truth of the matter is that Minx Veneers will last well on fingers if the person wearing them is not using/rubbing the ends of the nails excessively. Wear ability and longevity is all down to that one fact.

Using the ends of the nails to do things, will start to peel them up. For a while you can re-smooth them back down with your thumb, but naturally within a short period of time they will no longer have the same stick-ability as they did to begin with. It's only natural that this lifting would happen with use. You will notice they do not lift from anywhere else??

As a hairdresser you would be asking allot of Minx to perform perfectly and last when using the ends of your fingers so much not to mention heating them up and down while using a dryer again and again. So once again I would say that lasting ability of Minx Veneers depends on the person wearing them and how careful they want to try to be. In your case I would treat Minx as a party accessory and expect to enjoy them for a few days .. or save wearing them for your holidays and enjoy them for much longer. :hug:

Last edited:

Are minx nails similar to Bio Sulpture, Calgel, Le Chat? (a natural nail coloured gel overlay)

As a hairdresser you would be asking allot of Minx to perform perfectly and last when using the ends of your fingers so much not to mention heating them up and down while using a dryer again and again. So once again I would say that lasting ability of Minx Veneers depends on the person wearing them and how careful they want to try to be. In your case I would treat Minx as a party accessory and expect to enjoy them for a few days .. or save wearing them for your holidays and enjoy them for much longer. :hug:

Im gonna disagree here....just a little anyway....lol. I think sometimes we are all to ready to listen to others and jump on the bandwagon and blame the product saying it doesn't last on fingers when infact we should be looking a little closer to home at our prep and application procedure.

One of the stylists in the salon I work out of has had hers on for 6 days now without any problems, another wore hers for 17 days before she had them changed.

Have a look at your prep, check that you are applying them correctly, you dont need to pull and stretch them (this is the main problem for lifting at the free edge), apply heat again and go over the veneer ensuring all edges are sealed then file off excess minx and reheat again pressing and smoothing into the free edge.
David

Last edited by a moderator:
I met Dawn of Minx last year and she told us that they only state that Minx will last on fingers for 4 to 6 days. We were told on toes it lasts for weeks - which we verified on both Iryna and some friends.

As Geeg said, treat Minx on fingers as a party accessory and then the client or you won't be disappointed.

hi guys im new to minx, just trained three weeks ago.....and i was definitely taught to pull the minx over the freeedge

what do you fellow geeks do?????

hi guys im new to minx, just trained three weeks ago.....and i was definitely taught to pull the minx over the freeedge

what do you fellow geeks do?????

I fold the excess over the free edge but don't stretch and pull, if that makes sense.

Just so you all know .. Jaydee does all the A listers in London with Minx .. lady gaga etc. LISTEN TO HIS ADVICE .. HE CAN'T AFFORD TO GET IT WRONG AND HE DOESN'T. He is a master Minxer and to his mind and mine one of the biggest secrets is re-warming and going back over the Minx and all the edges again at your final check before you release the client. :lol:

This is how you are taught and it is a vital step. How many of you are missing it out? Hmmmmm?

thanks again everyone, it's made me feel a lot better about them, i'm just gonna wait to minx again when i'm on holiday!! :)

I was the same as you wondering if they would last etc and I am proof that they can.

I done a set of Minx on my fingers on Sunday, with Silver & Pink Fishnet, and although they are slightly rubbed on the ends (me scratching my head loads and tapping on my keyboard!!), my nails look rather good, I am impressed as Im usually a nightmare especially with polish - it chips within a day or so as I am so heavy handed!

Im just hoping when I get my first clients this weekend that my practice will pay off, and I deliver the same results to them!

So dont worry about them lasting im proof they do last longer than polish, just need a bit better prep and a little tlc x

Last edited:
I always get at least 12 days out of my minx on fingers. I apply under the heat, smooth down with my thumbs and then again under heat using a soft rubber ended pusher... then take out of heat, file free edge, back under heat and double check are firmly applied with pusher again. I tell all my clients to rub over with fingers and ensure adhesion everytime they dry their hair with a hairdryer. I love minx :) xx

Latest posts

Back