Unsafe and Unsound and Utter Rubbish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
I have been reading some unbelievable posts in the last few days advocating some very unsafe and unsound ideas!! Where is all this crappola coming from all of a sudden?

Using a 100 grit on the natural nail to prepare it!!!

Using acetone to 'remove a layer' when rebalancing!!!

Using neat monomer and a metal tool to make smile lines!!!

Using tips to lever/prise/pull off old product!!!

These are just a few :eek: :eek:

Are there any professionals out there who would do these things?

Or is our profession being invaded with a bunch of cowboys at the moment?

I'm worried at how these 'ideas' will influence the new ones here on the site.

So please keep your eyes open professional geeks and lets knock these ideas out of the way before some think they are serious options!

Any more 'wonderful' ideas to add to the above??

There are "professionals" that'll do all sorts of things. Some people just drive me nuts.

There are "professionals" that'll do all sorts of things. Some people just drive me nuts.

Well lets get it quite clear from the start ... If they are doing these things, they can hardly be referred to as a professional.

i agree... a true professional would know not to try any of the above and risk the health of the clients nails. :(

It looks like the beauty business has its own form of cowboys. :grr:
Short cuts, missing out on essential proceedures, not much interest in doing a great job just the thought of a quick buck.
What happened to the term ''Beauty Professional''

What worries me is that some people may read these "ideas" and try it anyway, especially if they are new to the industry and think that it will cut down on timings etc., which we as "professionals" know all it will lead to is the detriment of the client's nails and inevitably health.

When I worked in a salon before, the owner was constantly cutting corners and that told on her client's nails, I left because that was not the way I was trained, and she expected me to do the same. She did not care about the nails just the number of people he could get in her salon in a day.

There is nothing to beat good reputable training and following the great advice and tutorials that are available here on the site.

I think this is why the rep system is important, because it gives you an idea of whos advice you can trust!

I see what you mean Geeg! I've just had a quick flick through. Really rather frightening!

One of posts says that a 100 grit file is provided with a course that can provide the demo but not the feedback! So, a person totally new to the skill can pick up a 100 grit, use it on a real nail and no one there to say "don't do that"! Amazing!

Fortunately the poster doesn't use that side. I wonder how many do? No amount of demos can persuade the student "who knows best" because they've mistakenly believed that the 100 must be quicker than the 180!

Some of these things just go completely over my head, as i can not get my head around some of these techniques. I have to read over & over again to imagine them.

I know we all want to do things quicker but isn't the health & safety of the clients natural nails the most important things here & the finished result the second. I have a woman who`s natural thumb nail has turned completely black with a tinge of green due to improper prep by a nail bar, but she has not gone back because they don't provide a consultation form at the start.

So i think, let these cowboys get on with it, but in the end, word will spread of their slackness, then they will lose, may be taken to court for damage & i will be the winner as my PROFESSIONAL services will out do them in the end as word will spread around.

But you can only tell clients the right thing if they want to listen. When it comes to advice, i sometimes feel i am constantly slagging the bars off, but then i think, if they have a problem, i am only telling them the truth that they should know. So i am trying my hardest not to comment. But if a client wants to know, i will truthfully inform them.

I had a client the other day who said that a technician finished a full set of silks in 45 mins. I am so jealous. Why can`t i finish a full set in 45 mins. But she then said they fell apart within the week!! I am still jealous though. But never mind. Maybe i should try some of the techniques geeg was on about eh. (no...only kidding).
Laura.x.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested to know who would follow some of this advice. I think this site is fantastic but sometimes worry that some people who have no training and have no intention at all of getting any training will think that they can gather infomation and learn to 'do?' nails.

Would anyone who has had good training be tempted at all to resort to some of these ideas? I would hope not but you never know. I am no expert and the practical side of my nails need soooo much more work but I can't forget the theory side that was drummed into me by my CND educator. I trusted what she was telling me implicitly and have NEVER deviated from it from reading articles on here or any where else for that matter.

Once again it just shows how important good training is. I think if you have an ounce of common sense and some good training you would probably know while reading it that it is complete cobblers!!

I had a client the other day who said that a technician finished a full set of silks in 45 mins. I am so jealous. Why can`t i finish a full set in 45 mins. But she then said they fell apart within the week!! I am still jealous though. But never mind. Maybe i should try some of the techniques geeg was on about eh. (no...only kidding).

Don't be the least bit jealous!

I remember going to see a lady in the USA who had become quite famous at shows for her 20 minute full set!!

Well she did it but they looked absolutely terrible. Thick, square, out-of- balance, sculpted nails and she only did them in 20 minutes because all the prep had been done first and all the forms were already applied before she started. Again it is rubbish and marketing hype and bears no resemblance to reality. She also used a 100 grit file all over the nail plate as well as acid primer. A very bad example to all.

is there a way that the professionals on this site could be made to stand out, depending on their qualifications and experience, maybe they could be rated with stars or something and then new geeks would know whos advice to take seriously and whos advice to chuckle at ? not sure how this could be done but it would be nice to see at a glance who actually knows what they are talking about, call on mr geek to come up with something xxxx

i actually think thats a good idea!

To me, I see those type of posts as great opportunities to educate why their suggestions may not be a great idea. Let's face it - they are not being purposely ignorant - they just don't know a better way. The only problem with posting in ignorance is if we all miss the opportunity to educate a better way.

It was in fact one of the driving forces behind the key "why" I set these forums up, and look what we have done so far! I just wish I had more time to exploit these opportunities as of late :)

Don't criticise it - change it! :D :D

is there a way that the professionals on this site could be made to stand out, depending on their qualifications and experience, maybe they could be rated with stars or something and then new geeks would know whos advice to take seriously and whos advice to chuckle at ? not sure how this could be done but it would be nice to see at a glance who actually knows what they are talking about, call on mr geek to come up with something xxxx

Everyone and Keeley, there are allot of great professional techs on this site and I think they all stand out a mile because of how and what they post and the quality of information in those posts. I think looking at a persons reputation also tells a story. I think the cowboys standout like a sore thumb. :)

Believe me as a moderator of this site ... the dodgy ones can be spotted within a few posts. The people with an 'agenda' can be spotted almost immediately. They nearly always hang themselves pretty quickly.

To me, I see those type of posts as great opportunities to educate why their suggestions may not be a great idea. Let's face it - they are not being purposely ignorant - they just don't know a better way. The only problem with posting in ignorance is if we all miss the opportunity to educate a better way.

It was in fact one of the driving forces behind the key "why" I set these forums up, and look what we have done so far! I just wish I had more time to exploit these opportunities as of late :)

Don't criticise it - change it! :D :D

We all miss you Sam but WE'RE ON IT OK?? Perhaps not with your style or particular brand of humour (well let's face it you are pretty unique) but we try.

Reputation is one way of doing this. Otherwise it gets into the realms of some 'all knowing' person passing judgement on someone else to ensure they get 'tagged' as 'all knowing too'.

Since no one on the site is 'all knowing' enough to start the process, we are stuck in a chicken-or-the-egg situation that would require a time machine to sort out (which could change someday soon!).

Anyhoo - in the meantime, we just need to work together to educate in these posts.

nJoy

Reputation is one way of doing this. Otherwise it gets into the realms of some 'all knowing' person passing judgement on someone else to ensure they get 'tagged' as 'all knowing too'.

Since no one on the site is 'all knowing' enough to start the process, we are stuck in a chicken-or-the-egg situation that would require a time machine to sort out (which could change someday soon!).

Anyhoo - in the meantime, we just need to work together to educate in these posts.

nJoy
yes i understand it would open up a huge can of worms xx thanku for answering xx

As we are all aware as well of the nss out there and the mma that is being used, we should really try to give back a good name to nail techs! So that people no longer think that enhancements 'ruin' their nails, us qualified techs should make sure we are doing everything NOT to ruin peoples nail and prove that skill and knowledge is required to make beautiful and kind nails! xx

Yep crappola is now my new "word of the week":)
Hopefully if we put out some good advice in these threads then that can only be a good thing.
The quickest way seems to be the thing everybody wants but work is always going to take time and shortcuts usually don't work without problems.
I think that goes for any profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back