Using Callus smoother

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahnailz

Reaction score
I have just given my Hubby his very first pedi (actually, it was my very first pedi too) I use the Earth spa pedicure products from CND Gorgeous!!!!

anyway, my Hubby has some rather yucky hard dry and cracked skin on his heels. I smothered his dry bits in sea serum, wrapped his feet in a warm dry towel for 5 mins and got going with the callus smoother. Now I know that the aim is to smooth not remove. But I am so afraid of scrubbing his heels raw. How do you know when to stop filing? he admitted to having a good go at his ped egg and I told him off, because it looks like he has literally grated his feet!!!!! bleugh!!!! I smothered his heels in cucumber heel therapy and told him to put his socks back on. Can I do anything else to make his tootsies look nice?

thanks

xxSarahxx

As long as his heels aren't newly cracked or sore, I'd soak them for a few minutes and slather on Cuticle remover. Let it sit for 5-7 minutes and then use your callus smoother. Just make sure you rinse everything off after..his foot, your hands, the smoother. I use Cuticle Remover during all my pedis, and not just on the cuticles, I put it all over the foot. Makes my life a lot easier! And have him put it on once a week or so, it'll slowly but effectively get rid of the build up and prevent it from coming back.

You could try using 'Callus peel'.
It's supposed to be really good. A few geeks have recommended it and i am awaiting my order : )

The CND products you are using are very effective at removing callus but you have to remember it has taken weeks and months to build up and it takes regular maintenance to remove it and make the feet smooth again.

You can't remove thick built up callus in one go with any product. And you have to keep at it regularly as that callus is protecting the feet and will always continue to build up. You do not actually want to remove too much at one go.

I love the ped egg for home use but it does grate the skin and it grows rough and needs to be smoothed. Smooth it with the callus smoother or even a pumice stone and use lots of Cucumber Heel therapy to keep soft. You can even smooth the skin with an old file which works very well on dry skin.

thank you everyone. xxxxx much appreciated as usual:hug:

Callus Peel! Can't be beat!

callus peel sounds revolting!!!! lol yep, I don't like feet too much. Let's just say I tolerate them.

Think I will stick to sea serum and my trusty callus smoother. Maybe in the future I will be brave enough to learn about callus peels. Please someone shed light as to what the peel actually does? is it like an acid chemical peel? sorry, totally clueless as usual xxx

Funny CND Sea Serum was the first 'callus peel' product ever brought to the nail market; it just wasn't called such a revolting name, but that is what it does and that is what the product is used for. :green:

CND Sea Serum works quickly and efficiently to remove the build up of dead callus tissue and I expect callus peel is no more effective ..... there are limits to the strength that these products can have or they would be dangerous in the wrong hands .. women would be doing their own face peels with them !!! ouch Of course you know that CND Sea Serum is NOT a retail item but for pro use only (unless of course some consumer tries to buy it from flea bay for a use for which it was not intended ... good old flea bay).

Another CND product that is very effective for removing callus is Cuticle Away which apart form being totally effective at removing cuticle is also a very good callus eliminator..

Do you think it is professional to use a product for anything else than what it was designed for? IMO it is not. Products are specifically designed to be used a certain way with, hopefully, lots of research behind it and to use it otherwise is saying that you are better qualified to make a decision to use it in other ways. JMHO but was backed in an e-mail from Doug Schoon. Or you can contact the company and confirm with them that using their product in another specific way would not be detrimental to your client.

I was glad to see Geeg make a comment about client's not expecting us to remove built up callus' in one visit and that they need to do their home care in between pedicure visits. And as she stated callus' are there to protect the skin, so total removal of a callus is unrealistic. It serves a purpose. When they become cracked or painful is the time to take some steps to alleviate the problem.

I totally agree with geeg that regular maintenance it the key. For my own dry heels, I dry 'sand' (you can get some nice foot files at Sally's) them every couple of days, then apply cucumber heel therapy. It really works in keeping the crusties at bay! HTH! :)

Lovely thank you. That word crusties made my tummy turn over!!!!!! nobody's feet are as bad as my Husbands!!!!!!! really manky. Looks like someone is gonna have to have a few more treatments at the hands of his wife!!! honestly, Men.

Looks like someone is gonna have to have a few more treatments at the hands of his wife!!! honestly, Men.

Men...can't live with 'em and it's against the law to shoot 'em. LOL!

I AM kidding...I love men! :hug:

Do you think it is professional to use a product for anything else than what it was designed for? IMO it is not. Products are specifically designed to be used a certain way with, hopefully, lots of research behind it and to use it otherwise is saying that you are better qualified to make a decision to use it in other ways. JMHO but was backed in an e-mail from Doug Schoon. Or you can contact the company and confirm with them that using their product in another specific way would not be detrimental to your client.

What exactly are you referring to...? Using Cuticle Away on calluses? I don't think it's unprofessional to use a professional product in a professional way that yields results.."IMO"..

where can you buy callus peel?

What exactly are you referring to...? Using Cuticle Away on calluses? I don't think it's unprofessional to use a professional product in a professional way that yields results.."IMO"..

Guess we have different definitions of "professional" then. And according to Doug Schoon it is not advisable to use a product in ways other than directed. And since he is a chemist I will take his word on that.

Guess we have different definitions of "professional" then. And according to Doug Schoon it is not advisable to use a product in ways other than directed. And since he is a chemist I will take his word on that.

Perhaps as a 'professional' it would be good to be fully aware of what uses the product was designed for..........

Cuticle Away is A professional strength cuticle remover and Callus Softener

On the CND website under product profiles you will find that it states that this product breaks down tough calluses, and that it is excellent at removing rough skin on heels and elbows.

I am Guessing that Doug wouldn't mind then :wink2:

Perhaps as a 'professional' it would be good to be fully aware of what uses the product was designed for..........

Cuticle Away is A professional strength cuticle remover and Callus Softener

On the CND website under product profiles you will find that it states that this product breaks down tough calluses, and that it is excellent at removing rough skin on heels and elbows.

I am Guessing that Doug wouldn't mind then :wink2:

Exactly!! lol I would not have recommended the use of Cuticle Away for the softening of callused skin if it were not suitable for using in this manner and if it were not CND approved.

Cuticle Away softens dead skin (cuticle) on the nail plate and by definition of what it does, ergo it will soften dead callused skin anywhere else you may happen to find it (elbows, knees, feet, even hands).

A professional is a person who knows the products they use inside and out ... Knowledge is one of the things that defines a professional.

Creative people who use their knowledge wisely and flexibly is what creates innovation.

Latest posts

Back