Vinylux tips & tricks for application?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had exactly the same problem with Gotcha - 2 coats just not enough coverage, it looks really not that great, but unfortunately I didn't have enough time at 11pm last night to rectify it! I LOVE the Shellac in Gotcha, but the Vinylux just doesn't seem to be the same - I will try 3 coats next time. I have just had my first morning of Vinylux clients and all the other colours I used seemed to be fine, so perhaps it is just that colour, OR I have a dodgy bottle.

Has anyone else experienced colours that have not worked so well as others? It is always good to be aware of these things in advance :)

The electric orange looked AMAZING!

Vpolish, i had the exact.same thing last night with roque red on my clients toes. I had too do 3 coats on her big toes. But i assumed its down to my in-experience with the product.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I feel so odd not using a base coat with Vinylux, I have only used it a few times.
Bicycle yellow on toes, needed 3 coats and looked ok.
Today I did Tropix on toes which weren't that great and it looked patchy with 2 coats so did 3. Have to say I wasn't as pleased with it as my client. She was happy so it was ok...

Guys perhaps you are being a little too thin with your application?

Guys perhaps you are being a little too thin with your application?
I was biting my tongue all last night reading these 'need 3 coat' posts ... As I've never used 3 coats of VINYLUX yet and I have painted so many nails.

If you are not an expert at polishing then read my polishing tips. I think you are polishing too thin with the product if the results you are getting look semi- sheer to you. So if you want to polish in 3 thin coats then do so, but I'd rather get there in 2, and I do.

Actually I have been a natural nail therapist for 13 years so ver experience, I have never had a problem with polish before !
I obviously need more practice with Vinylux ! :D

I have had the chance to play with a few colours over the last day and initially saw that I had not applied enough product, as it had dragged in a couple of places on my thumb.
I tried again, with a different colour (Wildfire) but with a lot more on the brush. More than I would use with another polish and almost laughed to myself, thinking that is too much! But it went on beautifully.

Actually I have been a natural nail therapist for 13 years so ver experience, I have never had a problem with polish before !
I obviously need more practice with Vinylux ! :D

I respect that experience but you must remember that VINYLUX is a brand new polish formulation.

Until now, the basic formulation of nail polish has not essentially changed since 1930 when Charles Revson (think Revlon) came out with the first red polish paint for nails. VINYLUX is a brand new formulation and it it not based on Nitrocellulose.

Special Adhesion promoters in the polish ensure that VINYLUX makes its own barrier at the base, so no base coat is needed with this polish (in fact, using any kind of ordinary base coat will make the polish not last as long).

The dry time is very fast so you need to paint fast and with enough on your brush so that you can paint the whole surface of the first coat with ease in one thinish coat.

2nd coat can go a little thicker, but not runny, and finally a generous amount of Top Coat floated on with a light touch.

Dries in 8 minutes flat ... And it does! No one in this or other long threads on SalonGeek has moaned or complained once about it not drying in that time nor even smudging! :) clearly clients are loving it. Better have plenty in stock peeps because VINYLUX is going to be another 'home run' for your business. :)

Ok question, if a client just wants a French tip in white or any other colour, then I'm concerned about the fact it's a 2 part system and there would be no colour/product on 1/2 the nail, just topcoat.

I know to do some French we have to go over the white (white, then romantique for example) unless your good at painting as its not so easy to tidy without effecting the polish underneath.

How are people doing their French applications?

If you tidy the smile-line with just the tip of a pointed brush it will be fine as the top coat will pull it all together no problem. Very simple. You wont even notice..

Last edited:
Exactly it's a new kind of polish !
I am not saying I don't like it, I used a few others today with no problem, just seems to be Tropix and bicycle yellow, am sure it's just practice because I am so used to how my Opi goes on.
I intend to gradually replace all the Opi an move to CND for everything :D

I have bubbles in my top coat? Is this because I shook the bottle of top coat? Also it didn't dry in 8.5 mins but I'm guessing that's because I had it all way to thick especially the top coat!!!

I have bubbles in my top coat? Is this because I shook the bottle of top coat? Also it didn't dry in 8.5 mins but I'm guessing that's because I had it all way to thick especially the top coat!!!

It dries fully in 8.5 minutes if you have applied it correctly ... trust me. :D

It dries fully in 8.5 minutes if you have applied it correctly ... trust me. :D

Trust you fully Geeg! My application is pants!!x

Exactly it's a new kind of polish !
I am not saying I don't like it, I used a few others today with no problem, just seems to be Tropix and bicycle yellow, am sure it's just practice because I am so used to how my Opi goes on.
I intend to gradually replace all the Opi an move to CND for everything :D

Me too! No more pushy sales rep telling me how crap Shellac is, gggrrrrrrrr!

My 6 year old the other night, with her serious face on, as she sat with her hands out in front of her after her paint job:

"Mummy, I do like my Vinylux but I think I love my Shellac because I don't need to wait for it to dry."

I laughed and told her it wasn't that much longer if you included the time in the lamp.

It's awesome, truly awesome and it sells itself.

:eek: Nice! Not!

Exactly! I've had enough and think its so unprofessional! She's made my decision more than easy x

Has anyone found the topcoat not very shiney? Am I not applying it thick enough?

The top coat is amazingly shiney. Make sure you shake it. You don't have to shake for the Olympic team, just a normal shake! Lol

Latest posts

Back