Water decals on Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nails_4_U

Reaction score
Just ordered my first water decals. I have never used them before so just have a few questions...

-when during the shellac process would u apply the decals?
-do you need to remove the inhibition layer before applying the decal?
-do you need to cut it perfectly around the decal or it doesnt show if its not perfect?

Thanks in advance for any advice given :)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using SalonGeek

- apply your decal on your 2nd colour coat, before topcoating
- it is personal preference but I like to leave the tacky layer on as I feel I get a better "stick" when applying the decals
- you can just cut the paper bit roughly (in order to dip it in the water without affecting the other designs) as the decals have their own cut out area which you peel off when wet

Xxx

Another tip I found when using water decals is when I take them out of the water and ready to place on the nail, I lay them on the back of my hand to mop up any excess water but it doesn't affect them sticking to to the inhibition layer.

Thanks for all the help :) cant wait to try them out :)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using SalonGeek

So I tried Marilyn Monroe water decals for the first time today I cut them in squares put them in water peeled of the cardboard placed it on the nail and allowed to dry I haven't placed on top coat as I'm not sure is this right as I can still see the clear plastic a little bit

So I tried Marilyn Monroe water decals for the first time today I cut them in squares put them in water peeled of the cardboard placed it on the nail and allowed to dry I haven't placed on top coat as I'm not sure is this right as I can still see the clear plastic a little bit

once you stick it down gently peel the clear plastic bit back so the sticker comes off :)

Ahaha I didn't realise you could peel away the plastic. I used some Swallow decals the other day on myself and it bugged me that i could still see the clear bit even though I had cut them down to size.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I just tried to peel the plastic bit off and the whole thing came off.

Laura x

I take the plastic off the front before I put the decal in the water, that way it just floats away from the cardboard and you can pick it up and place it with tweezers x

I just tried to peel the plastic bit off and the whole thing came off.

Laura x

doing it while its still a bit damp works for me

[QUOTE=Nails this also happened to me :(

So I trim my decal down on the cardboard. I place it in water for 20 secs or so, I then take the decal out and slide the actual decal plastic print of the card, make sure its not wet and then place on the nail.

It still has the thin plastic bit on so it that what also comes off so only the print stays on the nails? Its a really thin soft plastic not the covering when you buy them.

Think I may have confused myself.

Laura x

[QUOTE=Nails I'm glad your confused coz so am I lol, I've tried everything and the plastic bit is still showing or if I try to take of plastic bit the whole design comes off with it, I tried peeling off the design first but I just end up taking of cardboard aswel I sound so stupid but I can't get it, I'm also having trouble with foils so frustrating

Whatever you do, do not soak the decals in piping hot water (I did & the colour come running out of the decal... Oops )... Warm /luke warm water speeds things up. Allow them to dry & they will work beautifully..

The plastic bit you mention, that stays on, that's part of what sticks with the actual decal - providing you've trimmed it down enough, you should just have enough left to hold with tweezers and not be able to see it.

The plastic bit you mention, that stays on, that's part of what sticks with the actual decal - providing you've trimmed it down enough, you should just have enough left to hold with tweezers and not be able to see it.

Yes thats the bit that I was on about but someone said they can take that off and the actual colour/decal remains on the nail.

That's why I was confused.

Laura x

Yes thats the bit that I was on about but someone said they can take that off and the actual colour/decal remains on the nail.

That's why I was confused.

Laura x
No, that bit definitely stays on - shouldn't really show up though I've done it on white and so long as it's kept clean it should just stay transparent :)

No, that bit definitely stays on - shouldn't really show up though I've done it on white and so long as it's kept clean it should just stay transparent :)

Lol yes my clear bit stays transparent also.

Laura x

When the decal hits the water you can see the backing paper drink up the water & saturate it, thats when its ready for removal. I lift the whole thing up out of the water (with backing still on) and then I slide the decal into position onto the nail. If I remove the decal then it curls up & theres NO WAY of uncurling it in its wet state... Once positioned I blot it & then allow the UV light to dry it out. Once dry it's ready to be locked between the gel layers :)

[QUOTE=Nails

I was confused by that bit also and I couldn't peel the plastic bit of either 😳 x

Latest posts

Back