Waxing Problems.......!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxglove

Reaction score
I had a very sticky (pardon the pun) moment with a client yesterday, and wondered if this sort of thing has happened to anyone else.......

I was waxing a bikini line, and the wax simply stuck to the client and wouldnt adhere to the fabric strip! No matter how many times I tried to get the wax to stick, it wouldnt!

I dod all of the right things.... applied pre wax lotion, blotted, applied wax (spatula method) then rubbed the fabric strip on in the direction of the hair. Then I pulled off the strip - hey presto - clean strip and wax still on skin.

It has happened before on a leg....we did manage to get it off eventually.

Can anyone offer any advice please? I have got my waxing assessment on Thursday and this has really knocked my confidance.

Hi Foxglove,

There are several reasons why this may happen, so don't panic! A common reason is if the wax becomes too cool - especially at this time of the year, if the client's skin is cold it will cause the wax to cool quicker and make it more difficult to remove. Keeping the room warm and applying the strip as soon as possible after laying down the wax will help avoid this. You may also find it helps to have the wax ever so slightly warmer than normal, but keep it at a comfortable temperature for the skin!

Another reason may be if the wax was applied and removed all at once over hair that grows in several different directions, or if the skin wasn't held taut enough when removing. The bikini area and top of the thigh where the leg meets the buttock are prime candidates for this - work in smaller sections and get the client to help you stretch their skin wherever possible.

In all cases, try the following to help remove that sticky residue. First lay the strip down again at a slightly different angle, rub firm and fast several times to create heat, and remove quickly whilst holding the skin VERY taut. If this doesn't work, apply a very thin layer of warm wax on top of the residue and try again (only do this once, as too many layers of wax will only create more problems!). If you have a pot of hard wax on the go, you're in luck as applying this over the top of the strip wax will definitely remove the residue. Finally, if all else fails, don't keep trying to remove the residue with the strip as it will hurt like billy-o and may bruise the client. Instead, explain to the client what has happened and apply an oil, petroleum jelly (i.e. Vaseline) or similar wax removal product (Gigi's Wax Off and Hive's Wax Control are great) over the residue and rub gently until the wax dissolves and can be wiped away with a strip (you may need to be patient, but it will work eventually).

Most importantly, don't panic as this will send your client into worry mode. Take a deep breath, curse to yourself a few times (not out loud!), and try the above as calmly as possibly. You'll be fine. And good luck with your assessment! :D

Another reason can be if the hair was too long to begin with. The wax will sit firmly on top of the hairs and end up in a congealed mess. If hairs too long trim prior to waxing.

Thank you guys ....... very usefull advice there. I didnt know that vaseline would remove wax! I shall also get hold of some of the Hive stuff too!

I did try pulling off the strip in different directions, just to see if it would help.......but the wax would not budge at all.

It was also quite chilly and draughty in the clients house, so that coupled with the fact that I was working in a restricted area and having to keep running around the couch all of the time would have made the problem worse! I shall just apply and remove bit by bit in future.....all becomes clear!

I have just bought the PHD system as I think it will be much more practical to use on the move.....hopefully the same thing wont happen with taht system.

Hi,

I had this problem and I spoke to my wax supplier and they said it could have been a dodgy pot of wax - so they sent me two free pots of another kind - how nice.

I didn't even have any lotion back then to dissolve the wax on the skin - I do now though.

Mind you didn't help my embarrassment but she's still coming to me now for her bikini wax so it couldn't have been that bad.

Hi there

If your wax wont come off reapply another thin layer over the wax and remove.

Deb379

hi...i was taught that this could also happen if the client has a dry patch of skin. Happens mostly to me around the knee area. I too was told to apply a thin layer of wax over the part that wont come of but before you do this try..if possible.. with a disposable spatula to gently scrape off some of the wax before apply the thin layer. This is to prevent the wax from getting too thick which can in turn cause you to have the same problem.

Belinda

bel76 said:
hi...i was taught that this could also happen if the client has a dry patch of skin. Happens mostly to me around the knee area. I too was told to apply a thin layer of wax over the part that wont come of but before you do this try..if possible.. with a disposable spatula to gently scrape off some of the wax before apply the thin layer. This is to prevent the wax from getting too thick which can in turn cause you to have the same problem.

Belinda
Dry skin on knees and big toe can be a biggg problem Belinda.It's a nightmare and you try to tell your client to remember to exfoliate and moisturise to prevent it happening and what do they say? that they do of course.Mmmmm

This has happened to me before and I now use hard wax for the bikini area....look into it, it's so much better for the delicate areas...as I'm sure Axiom can confirm!

Cathie! said:
This has happened to me before and I now use hard wax for the bikini area....look into it, it's so much better for the delicate areas...as I'm sure Axiom can confirm!

Yup, 110% with you on that one :D Gotta love that hard wax!

Sugaring is also good for sensitive areas (I prefer the paste ball to strip sugar).

Cathie! said:
fro sure I much prefer a herd wax for bikini, & underarms too.

I always prep the skin with oil first... this helps so that the wax is not adhering to the skin. If the room temperature is very warm and the client's skin is warm, I will apply powder to the skin instead of oil and this helps. And if it's really cool in the room this can happen too.... which is where the oil comes in handy. Like the others said... don't panic and all will be fine.

Hi foxglove, i had the very same problem just today. Thankfully it happened on my mum but I still feel dreadful. I was waxing the tops of her legs, applied the wax as normal and removed the strip and the wax still stuck to her skin. I feel dreadful about it. Your post has really helped! I think the room and her skin were too cold. It's all good experience I guess!:wink2:

It is horrible when it happens, isnt it?! I have noticed today that the wax has been more 'gloopy' than normal when on the spatula...even though it is the same consistancy in the pot. It must be the room temperature, I guess.

Roll on my wax assessment tomorrow......I just want to get it over with now!

Good luck with your assessment hun, I have mine in 2 weeks. I took Axiom's advice today and set my thermostat a bit higher and it was a lot better.

Good luck, let us know how you get on! Just think, this time tomorrow it will all be over!!!:hug:

i had the same problem when i tried hive wax's, happened a lot so it went in the bin.... will stick to clean n easy from now on.

Latest posts

Back