Waxing???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
Its quite shocking how many therapists are still telling their clients that it slows the growth down!!!!:eek:

Do you tell your clients that it inhibits growth?If so,why???

What do you tell them???Just out of interest guys,thanks.:hug:

IMHO, it depends on the wording. I tell clients it takes longer for the hair to grow back because it has been removed from the root and therefore it has "further to grow" than if it had been cut off or dissolved at the surface of the skin.

Perhaps it is more a misunderstanding of this concept than a deliberate attempt to convince clients that waxing actually makes the rate of hair growth slower. If you don't take care when you explain it, it may come across that way.

Hopefully there aren't that many therapists out there who think that waxing allows the body to defy the laws of nature :D

It doesn't slow the growth rate itself, but it weakens the pilous bulb (sp?) so the hair can get thinner progressivly and might slow down growth eventually. Am I wrong? (I'm not a beuty terapist BTW)

Actually a lot of the older therapists were taught that waxing slows the growth down and I know therapists that still state this on their price lists.

Scary stuff I know.But I dont think it's deliberate attempt at misleadling the public,this is in fact what therapists used to be taught.

Had a client today who had been told this and I had to explain that "actually,no this is incorrect and the reasons why":eek:

Actually a lot of the older therapists were taught that waxing slows the growth down and I know therapists that still state this on their price lists.

Scary stuff I know.But I dont think it's deliberate attempt at misleadling the public,this is in fact what therapists used to be taught.

Had a client today who had been told this and I had to explain that "actually,no this is incorrect and the reasons why":eek:

I get this too, although I also get the polar opposite - some folks are petrified that the hair will grow back thicker and darker than ever before (had a lot of that this week, in fact).

In reference to your first post Babs, I must admit I'm the same as Neko and I do say the hair will grow back slower, sparser and softer compared to shaving or using depilatory creams, but I always explain why this appears to be the case (I liken it to mowing a lawn versus pulling each blade of grass out by the root). I think the comparison to other methods of hair removal is the important factor to avoid misleading people.

Andy x

well when i was taught we was told that it doesn't it only come back lighter and thinner and more softer, it all depends on the stages of the hair growth which is anagen the growing phase, catagen the resting stage and telogen is when it has stopped growing if these are waxed at the same time and never shaved in between they wil grow at the same time , if you can understand, this was what i tell my clients especially about the 3 stages i give them an after care leaflet with the diagrams of the different stages
which helped

I tell my clients that the hair will grow in softer and more sparse. I wouldn't use the wore slower, because too many people will be confused.

I had a client that had come from somewhere else and while I was waxing her legs, she aske me "how many more times do I have to be waxed before the hair stops growing...my old waxer told me that it will take 2-4 waxes and I won't have any hair left." I nearly died!!! I had to explain to the poor woman that isn't the way it works. Her tech straight out lied to her!!!!

i say much the same sort of thing that the hair will grow back softer and and more sparse, that the growth will take longer than it would with shaving as the hair has been removed at the root.

I think the confusion comes when velous (sp) hairs are waxed and IF I am right - Andy perhaps you can help out here, when velous hairs are waxed can this affect the future hair structure in that they can grow back denser and be more obvious than before!

Plus - some people insist that they have been waxed or tweezered previously (eyebrows mainly) and the hairs never grew back!

Apologies if I am wrong but I am sure Andy is the best person to give us guidance on this truth or myth!

edit: Just to add my opinion - waxing doesnt affect the growth of the hair by slowing it down - it just seems that way because it grows back tapered and from the root so it takes longer to reach the skins surface.

I think the confusion comes when velous (sp) hairs are waxed and IF I am right - Andy perhaps you can help out here, when velous hairs are waxed can this affect the future hair structure in that they can grow back denser and be more obvious than before!

Funnily enough, myself and Babsann were having this exact conversation last night! :D

There has never been a clinical study that I'm aware of, but several respected electrolysis texts claim that any hair removal method which "plucks" the hair from its the root (i.e. waxing, sugaring, threading or tweezing) will cause irritation and potential damage to the follicle - this in turn stimulates an increase in blood supply, which of course carries hormones that stimulate hair growth. In addition, if any damage is caused to the follicle, it is believed that it will rebuild itself a little sturdier with a more developed capillary system each time. Eventually, these two factors may result in the vellus hair becoming terminal hair.

Bear in mind, however, that even if this is indeed the case we're talking about a loooong period of time here - the occasional tweeze or wax isn't going to turn anyone into a gorilla overnight! :)

I believe it's more of an issue for facial hair due to its visibility and an increased sensitivity in this area to hormonal changes (not sure how true that is), and for this reason some technicians recommend electrolysis or IPL rather than starting down the road of waxing. Opinion on that remains divided amongst hair removal technicians, however.

And having said all that, hormonal changes in the body due to age or medication, illness, etc. may well have the same result without any intervention from the wax strip. How much is due to stimulation from plucking/waxing, and how much is down to natural hormonal changes or other causes? Wish I knew the answer, lol, it kept me awake most of last night looking for information!! :D

Andy x

well when i was taught we was told that it doesn't it only come back lighter and thinner and more softer, it all depends on the stages of the hair growth which is anagen the growing phase, catagen the resting stage and telogen is when it has stopped growing if these are waxed at the same time and never shaved in between they wil grow at the same time , if you can understand, this was what i tell my clients especially about the 3 stages i give them an after care leaflet with the diagrams of the different stages
which helped
It's sad how many clients are told that in fact the hair will stop growing:eek: as Huberella has said.I too have had clients that have said previous therapists have told them the hair will eventually stop growing altogether.

I do have clients who's eyebrows have not returned from clients being a bit over enthusiastic with the tweezers.Some of these clients have areas of baldness or have virtually nothing left at all.

Eyebrows do seem to be affected more so than other parts of the body,but then again these are tweezered a lot more than other part of the body.For example some people will even tweezer daily rather than having a hair out of place.

I dont go into too much detail with my clients as a lot of them switch off if too much info given.

I explain in an uncomplicated way as I can,some clients are fascinated and I will go into great detail(which I actually enjoy)but talking about Anagen,Catagen and Telogen often actually seems to confuse clients even more.Making it as short and sweet as possible seems to work for the majority.

P.s yes Andy,I too was searching out info after our chat last night,very intersting reading.xx

I always show clients my fluffy legs and moustache when they start asking questions!! lol.

I have VERY dense thick dark hair growth, So waxing my legs is so much better for me than shaving. I wax about every 3 weeks. So when clients start asking questions, or whinging about the re-growth in between waxes i show them my legs and they can see and feel how soft it is. I tell them the re growth less noticable with a spray tan aswell. more custom!! lol.

Then clients ask about upper lip waxing, does it make it grow back thicker. answer: NO! so i show them mine which i do about every 4-6 weeks depending how lazy i am. Ive been doing it for about 2 years now. and even up to 6 weeks theres still not as much hair there as i started with. Ive actually left it longer then that before, and not felt as though it was as bad as originally. I am more fluffy than dark on my U/L, but it looks worse with make up!

So how many of your clients have their waxing in a perfect cycle and go away with a TOTALLY smooth finish?? I have a few, but my legs never feel really silky, cuz of those teeny weeny ones that wont come out!

Funnily enough, myself and Babsann were having this exact conversation last night! :D

There has never been a clinical study that I'm aware of, but several respected electrolysis texts claim that any hair removal method which "plucks" the hair from its the root (i.e. waxing, sugaring, threading or tweezing) will cause irritation and potential damage to the follicle - this in turn stimulates an increase in blood supply, which of course carries hormones that stimulate hair growth. In addition, if any damage is caused to the follicle, it is believed that it will rebuild itself a little sturdier with a more developed capillary system each time. Eventually, these two factors may result in the vellus hair becoming terminal hair.

Bear in mind, however, that even if this is indeed the case we're talking about a loooong period of time here - the occasional tweeze or wax isn't going to turn anyone into a gorilla overnight! :)

I believe it's more of an issue for facial hair due to its visibility and an increased sensitivity in this area to hormonal changes (not sure how true that is), and for this reason some technicians recommend electrolysis or IPL rather than starting down the road of waxing. Opinion on that remains divided amongst hair removal technicians, however.

And having said all that, hormonal changes in the body due to age or medication, illness, etc. may well have the same result without any intervention from the wax strip. How much is due to stimulation from plucking/waxing, and how much is down to natural hormonal changes or other causes? Wish I knew the answer, lol, it kept me awake most of last night looking for information!! :D

Andy x

This is what we have been taught at college Andy and to that end have been told NOT to wax the face other than eyebrows/upper lip/chin. One of the ladies on our course is of Asian origin and has lots very dark hair everywhere. During a waxing session she wanted to have the hair at the side of her face (from ears downwards) waxed and the tutor wouldn't allow anyone to do it for her because the hairs would grow back terminal.

Andy I would love to know yours, and others thoughts of this. And would you wax this area on women?

This is what we have been taught at college Andy and to that end have been told NOT to wax the face other than eyebrows/upper lip/chin. One of the ladies on our course is of Asian origin and has lots very dark hair everywhere. During a waxing session she wanted to have the hair at the side of her face (from ears downwards) waxed and the tutor wouldn't allow anyone to do it for her because the hairs would grow back terminal.

Andy I would love to know yours, and others thoughts of this. And would you wax this area on women?

yes i do. i have clients that have tried IPL with no joy, or cannot afford it. if they didnt have it waxed they would be stuck having to shave or use creams every other day. as long as you explain possible outcomes its up to the client really.

I have a couple of ladies who have their faces waxed,one Asian and one red head.The red head in particular has noticed her hair is much softer and she says it has come through less.

The Asian lady only comes in occasionaly and is more than happy.I would say what the client wants the client gets(within reason,lol).I personally would not refuse to do a face wax on a lady.It's better tha n her shaving and quite often they dont want to use hair removal creams.

I do think the colleges tend to air on the side of caution though.:green:

Kate,I have lots of ladies that come regular as clockwork and still have those horrible little hairs that we seem to take forever tweezing out.It's usually the ladies with strong hair growth and it's nothing to do with hairs breaking off when waxing or anything like that.Headache eh!!!

In short, yes, lol. :D

My personal experience has been similar to Kate's - I wax the lips and chins of several of the female barbers at work who have been doing it since their teens/early twenties and never had it grow back thicker or darker, although I acknowledge that there are peeps out there who have experienced the opposite. And why wax the lip/chin but refuse to treat the rest of the face if all facial hair apart from eyebrows responds equally (that's not a dig at your tutor, but it does seem a little curious)?

Like Babs, I'm a firm believer in giving the client what they want/what they pay for, although we also have a role in educating our customers. So yes, I would wax, but if the client expressed concern about regrowth on the face I would share what I knew about the various theories (I wouldn't ram it down their throats if they didn't ask first though, lol) - the final decision then comes down to them.

Andy x

On terminal hairs I think repeated waxing over many years can inhibit hair growth. I've been waxing for about 18 years and my bikini line definitely has very sparse patches with little or no regrowth. Another friend of mine, also a therapist has always waxed her legs, never shaved (I cheat sometimes in the summer if I can't wait to wax.:o) Her legs have incredibly sparse coverage. IMO waxing doesn't affect the speed of growth, but if done repeatedly will affect the amount of growth.

Thanks guys. (Super fast might I add!!:green:) I agree, it didn't seem logical to me either, but I don't argue with my tutor. :lol:

So basically, provide your client with the facts, and then let them decide. And I guess thats what our client consultation cards are for too.

Thanks guys. (Super fast might I add!!:green:) I agree, it didn't seem logical to me either, but I don't argue with my tutor. :lol:

So basically, provide your client with the facts, and then let them decide. And I guess thats what our client consultation cards are for too.
Yes Debs,if you refuse them they will only go elsewhere.:hug:

I would just like to add that i always make my waxing clients clear that waxing is not a method of permanent hair removal, having said that i have had a few older clients who have had thier legs waxed for decades (literally!) and they do only have very few hairs grow back on the front of their legs and usually nothing on the calfs. They claim that is through having waxing for so long. I never tell my other clients this will eventually happen to them as i believe in treating every client as an individual, which leads me to wonder if a person did have waxing for long enough would it stop the hair growth? Has anybody else ever had a client like that?

Latest posts

Back