Waxing???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree with babs, i do facial waxing for women who ask, lip and chin and also side burn area is very popular, i'm mixed race and do get dark hairs on my top lip, my mum is black and has afro hair, when i first did her facial waxing for her, lip, sideburn/cheek area and eyebrows she burst into tears and said she had always felt masculine with the hair growth there, if i can make anyone else feel that good by whipping off some hair i'll do it xx

I would just like to add that i always make my waxing clients clear that waxing is not a method of permanent hair removal, having said that i have had a few older clients who have had thier legs waxed for decades (literally!) and they do only have very few hairs grow back on the front of their legs and usually nothing on the calfs. They claim that is through having waxing for so long. I never tell my other clients this will eventually happen to them as i believe in treating every client as an individual, which leads me to wonder if a person did have waxing for long enough would it stop the hair growth? Has anybody else ever had a client like that?
This is what I am saying hun,it's our job to tell them and I for one always do,but shamefully some therapists DO tell their clients that it is a permanent hair removal treatment.This is a MYTH.

Anyway,yes I do have lots of ladies who have been having waxing carried out for years and who do have sparse areas also.Never have I had anyone who it stopped the growth completely but then look at clients who have no eyebrows!!!:eek:

Also I will throw spanner in the works,I was talking to Andy last night about my underarms.I used to be very sparse but started waxing,now the hair is thicker.No doubt about it.

I waxed my underarms more than B/k and legs so it would kind of lead us to the conclusion that the waxing has indeed caused the increase in hair growth.

It's not hormonal because I am not hairy as such, anywhere else.In fact with legs I only have a little section down the front of my legs,under the knees that I have to wax.

I have very fine,actually look as though I have no hairs on any other part of my body other than b/k which I wax also.

So makes me wonder if stimulating the blood supply with waxing as one does when buffing the nails has increased the hairgrowth???Its all a bit strange

I would just like to add that i always make my waxing clients clear that waxing is not a method of permanent hair removal, having said that i have had a few older clients who have had thier legs waxed for decades (literally!) and they do only have very few hairs grow back on the front of their legs and usually nothing on the calfs. They claim that is through having waxing for so long. I never tell my other clients this will eventually happen to them as i believe in treating every client as an individual, which leads me to wonder if a person did have waxing for long enough would it stop the hair growth? Has anybody else ever had a client like that?

Apparently, because our hormone production changes as we age, this in turn affects our hair growth, normally reducing it. This effect, combined with regular waxing over a long period of time can make it appear that we have no or minimal hair growth. but I think the key words are 'old' and 'hormones'. :)

This was one of our questions on our waxing exam and I got it right!! :lol:

This is what I am saying hun,it's our job to tell them and I for one always do,but shamefully some therapists DO tell their clients that it is a permanent hair removal treatment.This is a MYTH.

Anyway,yes I do have lots of ladies who have been having waxing carried out for years and who do have sparse areas also.Never have I had anyone who it stopped the growth completely but then look at clients who have no eyebrows!!!:eek:

Also I will throw spanner in the works,I was talking to Andy last night about my underarms.I used to be very sparse but started waxing,now the hair is thicker.No doubt about it.

I waxed my underarms more than B/k and legs so it would kind of lead us to the conclusion that the waxing has indeed caused the increase in hair growth.

It's not hormonal because I am not hairy as such, anywhere else.In fact with legs I only have a little section down the front of my legs,under the knees that I have to wax.

I have very fine,actually look as though I have no hairs on any other part of my body other than b/k which I wax also.

So makes me wonder if stimulating the blood supply with waxing as one does when buffing the nails has increased the hairgrowth???Its all a bit strange

I think your right because when i had IPL on my uarms i was told not to pluck, wax or bleach the area, but i was allowed to shave. Thinking about it now, it was probably because waxing/plucking does stimulate the blood supply in the root of the hair making it grow more. Also, i started having my upper lip waxed a few years ago, and i swear it's worse now than when i started!

Apparently, because our hormone production changes as we age, this in turn affects our hair growth, normally reducing it. This effect, combined with regular waxing over a long period of time can make it appear that we have no or minimal hair growth. but I think the key words are 'old' and 'hormones'. :)

This was one of our questions on our waxing exam and I got it right!! :lol:

That makes absolute perfect sense! Thank you for clearing that small bit of doubt out of my mind!

xx

I think your right because when i had IPL on my uarms i was told not to pluck, wax or bleach the area, but i was allowed to shave. Thinking about it now, it was probably because waxing/plucking does stimulate the blood supply in the root of the hair making it grow more. Also, i started having my upper lip waxed a few years ago, and i swear it's worse now than when i started!

In the case of IPL, clients are told not to wax/tweeze or bleach because the light only works on pigmented hair in the anagen stage of hair growth, so waxing/plucking and bleaching will directly impact on this.

It is fascinating the role hormones play on hair growth. Just throwing this thought out there... every time we have a hot bath or shower, sunbathe or exercise we stimulate blood flow, which would surely by default nourish the hair... how come we don't all look like gorillas as a result? Is it because certain areas are more sensitive to hormonal changes than others (underarms and the pubic area being a prime example), or does it come down to more than just nourishment from blood? It's all fascinating stuff! :D

Andy x

In the case of IPL, clients are told not to wax/tweeze or bleach because the light only works on pigmented hair in the anagen stage of hair growth, so waxing/plucking and bleaching will directly impact on this.

It is fascinating the role hormones play on hair growth. Just throwing this thought out there... every time we have a hot bath or shower, sunbathe or exercise we stimulate blood flow, which would surely by default nourish the hair... how come we don't all look like gorillas as a result? Is it because certain areas are more sensitive to hormonal changes than others (underarms and the pubic area being a prime example), or does it come down to more than just nourishment from blood? It's all fascinating stuff! :D

Andy x
I think as you said Andy it's fascinating and that certain areas are more sensitive for example the eyebrows and other parts already mentioned.

I also think whereas having a bath,sunbathing and massaging will increase the blood supply it is not as stimulating as directly removing a hair from the follicle.

I dont know though,even the expets dont know everything so these are only guesses.:eek:

Just throwing this thought out there... every time we have a hot bath or shower, sunbathe or exercise we stimulate blood flow, which would surely by default nourish the hair... how come we don't all look like gorillas as a result?
Andy x

But isn't this why our hair (at least on our head) and nails grow more in the warmer summer months?

But isn't this why our hair (at least on our head) and nails grow more in the warmer summer months?
Yes pure,exactly.:green:

Yes, exactly! So why doesn't it change from vellus to terminal hair as well, if indeed the theory about nourishment/stimulation causing changes in hair structure are accurate?

I don't know the answer, it just seems strange that feeding the hair with blood as a result of the stimulation from waxing might cause hair to change from vellus to terminal, but another well-recognised form of nourishment (sunlight) doesn't... Unless it has something to do with accumulative changes in root structure as the hair re-grows after forced removal??

I'm just throwing ideas round now, lol! Maybe as you say, Babs, removing hair by the root is more stimulating than other methods. My mind is boggling now, lol :D

Yes, exactly! So why doesn't it change from vellus to terminal hair as well, if indeed the theory about nourishment/stimulation causing changes in hair structure are accurate?

OK I'm off to find my "Science of Beauty Therapy" book to see if there are any answers in there. Don't you just love the challenge of fiding out new things?!:lol::lol:

This subject of hair growth stimulation wil have to go in the same catagory as what makes polish dry - the more we talk about it the less sense it all seems to make!

Like you say Andy, how do you prove that if the hair grows more, that it is down to folicle stimulation or aging hormones - we will never know that answer me thinks!

One of lifes great misteries!

wow, if waxing were a permanent method we'd be out of a job! i would never tell a client that it doesnt grow back etc, but that it can (not will) make the growth sparser over a period of time (not talking months here!), making them look as thou it isnt growing back, but from experience, it does take some time. a fully informed client can make their own mind up, but i do promote waxing (unless its totally unsuitable for them) as it can be the therapists bread and butter.jmo x

I can only say it as i see it, im not very up to date now on the ins and outs of hair growth etc etc.I think hair growth and the success of waxing is very much an individual thing.
I do believe from experience that if you never shave or use other methods of hair removal,waxing can result in diminished growth especially legs and underarms.
I have only ever had my underarms waxed and have hardly anything there at all,many clients i have have large bald patches where hair now never grows but this does not seem to happen with facial hair.What i say to clients is i dont know what will happen if you are waxed regularly because i dont,everyones different.

Just from my own personal experience, I have had my legs and bikini waxed since I was 17, that's 21 years now OMG! and the hairs are very sparce now.....my upper lip, I used to bleach but have been waxing for about 5 years now and I can go so much longer between waxes....professionally in the salon, I have only been waxing for about 3 years, but I have noticed a distinct difference in the growth of hair of my regular clients.....maybe I don't have enough regulars to comment on the phenomenom!

If I wax my underarms the hair seem to come back finer and blonder, if I then shave them (I do this very rarely) they come back thick and dark as before! very random. :eek:

If I wax my underarms the hair seem to come back finer and blonder, if I then shave them (I do this very rarely) they come back thick and dark as before! very random. :eek:
Maybe they seem to come back thicker because the ends have been "cut off"rather than plucked out via the follicle,the dark/blonde thing though, I'm not sure about as I have almost black hair so dont notice this on myself.:green:

Maybe they seem to come back thicker because the ends have been "cut off"rather than plucked out via the follicle,the dark/blonde thing though, I'm not sure about as I have almost black hair so dont notice this on myself.:green:

This is exactly correct!!

I have found that waxing definetly causes damage to the follicle, which is why less and less hair grows back over time. Some people it takes longer, some notice a huge decrease in hair quite quickly.

Sorry to jump on skin geeks but i'd just like to add if you don't mind.

Ever heard anyone say they have had their hair cut and it looks thicker ?

The reason Bab's gave is exactly why,when hair is cut or shaved it cause a blunt area which appears more dense giving the illusion it is thicker.

Hth's a little ,if not i'll stick to my own forums :D xxxxxx

This subject of hair growth stimulation wil have to go in the same catagory as what makes polish dry - the more we talk about it the less sense it all seems to make!

One of lifes great misteries!
I actually learnt what makes polish and paint dry in my chemistry A-Level.... When i get home tonight i'll have to dig the paperwork out for the specifics!!

With regards to hair growth, i'll look in my old a-level notes as, again, i think we touched upon this when i did my biology a-level.... I remember there being a reason, probably some thing to do with evolution linked to the level of nutrients in the blood or something... but don't quote me on that!
Actually, it may just make it more confusing....! LOL!

It's sad how many clients are told that in fact the hair will stop growing
Actually, as you get older, your hair on your body does deplete. You just get hair growth in different areas like your chin :D
You young ones out there haven't experienced this yet but leg hair and other areas do thin out and slow down and go grey.
And I do find that waxing vs. shaving my legs does last longer between hair growth.

I for one was told that waxing will deter hair growth because you are removing the hair from the follicle..I never did experience the depletion of lip hair but it did come in slower.

Latest posts

Back