We seem to be suffering from a recent outbreak of text speak....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe me I know that hun, I am not talking about your spelling mistakes at all. But there are many places where you can get a spellcheck on the internet, I always use it when I write. It takes a long time, but is worth it for the kind people her, who use their time to help us.

I just wanted to point out that using punctuation, or commas, even if they are just where you would normally pause when speaking, can help a lot.

Also think about not using the text-speak, take a little time writing instead, I know you do know how to spell lots of the words, I have seen you do it :hug:, so it does become a little frustrating when you choose not to change it.

I am sure nobody minds the lack of spelling, when it is clear you have spend time writing the post, using commas and paragraphs. And if that is difficult, the do what I do: If I'm finished with my sentence then I put a punctuation. Read aloud inside your head and use commas, where you would normally pause. And even the slightest change of subject, put space between the sentences.

I am sure people are sometimes laughing out loud at my grammar, but I bet it is easier to read, ALSO for the dyslexic, when it is not just one long sentence.

I hope I have made myself clear, I was NOT having a go at dyslexic people at all.

I am not dyslexic I have a different condition. I do try my point is no matter how many times I read over something or how slow I write something I will not always see the mistakes, I don't no that they are mistakes it's hard to exsplain. And I don't want people not helping me on this site beacause they think I'm being lazy. When it's a medical condition. There is nothing much I can do about it.

So as long as my writting is mostly readable iv never worried about it as there is no point worrying about something u can't change. I use my phone for this site so it not as simple as doing a spell cheak and I can't just look up the words because I don't no they are spelt wrong most if the time. Could people just try not to jude. txt Talk is easyer for me because I don't look as stupid as when I spell a simple word conpleatly wrong.

I am not dyslexic I have a different condition. I do try my point is no matter how many times I read over something or how slow I write something I will not always see the mistakes, I don't no that they are mistakes it's hard to exsplain. And I don't want people not helping me on this site beacause they think I'm being lazy. When it's a medical condition. There is nothing much I can do about it.

So as long as my writting is mostly readable iv never worried about it as there is no point worrying about something u can't change. I use my phone for this site so it not as simple as doing a spell cheak and I can't just look up the words because I don't no they are spelt wrong most if the time. Could people just try not to jude. txt Talk is easyer for me because I don't look as stupid as when I spell a simple word conpleatly wrong.

Fair enough, and thanks for taking my point on board and spacing your posts out now.
So much easier to read :)

I do think the point of this thread has digressed somewhat, and I don't think there should be any reason for people to fall out about this topic.
There are loads of dyslexic geeks on here, and I undertand their posts perfectly well.
I can also ignore the odd spelling/typo as I can make them myself :o but text talk is a whole different ball game.

Fact is that Text Talk is not allowed on here, as we are a global community and everyone no matter their nationality should be able to join in and be able to read all the posts.

That is it , end of story.

I have noticed it is because more and more people are geeking from their phones that text talk has suddenly become an issue again, but sorry phone geeks, it still is not on...so start using words like you and using upper case I it really is not that difficult.

Now lets all just chill and enjoy our Sunday afternoon.:)

But you see now you have used punctuation and space between sentences and it so much easier to read:hug:

I can understand it must be very frustrating having a condition like yours! I am suffering form bad short term memory, a medical thing too, so I have to learn things over and over compared to when I was younger, luckily none of what I have learned earlier is affected. This means I also have to look up words I have used hundreds of times, but luckily I can still learn, just takes time. So taking the time to put the post like you have just done, makes a world of difference.

Sorry for being so passionate and heated before, it's just not easy sometimes to get a point across. Just as it is not easy for you to translate your text-speak into readable sentences.

Hope you are ok hun, and keep asking questions, just remember to take it slow like I do :lol:

Oh, how I have enjoyed catching up on this thread! It has brightened up my evening... (in the singular :) )

I think we should just be done with it, introduce the grammar police and take all pens, keyboards and anything that resembles a writing implement if people refuse to use a spellcheck! :) :)

if not i will rite all my posts like this with no punctuation grammer capitals poor speeling no paragraphsorapaces and take the presure of meslf.............

Ha ha ha :)

There are certain members whose posts I now refuse to read because they strain my brain and are pure torture to make sense of.

HOWEVER, what I have gathered from the posts since my reply is that some folks have missed the point.

The point being: this is a site for PROFESSIONALS. Professionals SHOULD 'sound' professional. When a post is littered with text speak, misspelled words, poor grammar, lack of punctuation, it does NOT look PROFESSIONAL. It is a poor representation of this forum and it's members to the open public that frequent here.

If your spelling and grammar are poor, there is NO EXCUSE to continue being ignorant. Get out the dictionary, thesaurus or whatever and LEARN. Make an effort to sound 'professional'.

It is a total lack of respect to this site, it's members, the rules and the poor public that occasionally visits to continue to write so abysmally.

And as I said earlier, if someone can't make the effort to write english properly... it makes me wonder how much effort they actually put in to learning their chosen profession and how much they really know.
If someone can't read and write properly, how on earth could I trust them to read the directions for using a nail enhancement system, or how hot the wax should be?
I, as a potential consumer/client, would NOT trust someone to provide me with services if I couldn't be certain of their level of intelligence and if they had true knowledge of what they are doing.

I know very little about learning difficulties such as dyslexia. What I have discovered is that a dyslexic's difficulties with the written word have nothing to do with their intelligence. Furthermore if their disability is such that they do not always recognise errors, how on earth are they supposed to correct them? I thought we lived in a more enlightened age.

Disability discrimination and bullying is not only socially unacceptable, it is illegal.

For crumbs sake!! No one is being bullied. Can we get back to the point of this post which was nothing to do with Dyslexia but about NOT using TEXT in professional posts.

1. It is against the site rules.

2. It shows a complete lack of professionalism and looks ignorant.

3. It shows a complete lack of consideration to members who speak languages other than English.

4. Using TEXT is a method of saving on phone bills and completely unnecessary when using the internet. Accessing the internet by phone frankly is no excuse to do any of the above.

5. If people do not want to abide by the site rules (rules which members agree to do abide by when registering) then use another site.

For crumbs sake!! No one is being bullied. Can we get back to the point of this post which was nothing to do with Dyslexia but about NOT using TEXT in professional posts.

1. It is against the site rules.

2. It shows a complete lack of professionalism and looks ignorant.

3. It shows a complete lack of consideration to members who speak languages other than English.

4. Using TEXT is a method of saving on phone bills and completely unnecessary when using the internet. Accessing the internet by phone frankly is no excuse to do any of the above.

5. If people do not want to abide by the site rules (rules which members agree to do abide by when registering) then use another site.

As far as text speak goes, I totally agree. It is against the rules and undesirable.

However, the thread moved on to discuss errors in spelling and grammar. Bullying may not necessarily be intended but it can still be hurtful. I can't speak for Chazz but I would have felt hurt and frustrated by some of the remarks made.

If it would help Chazz, feel free to pm me your posts and I will be happy to have a quick look before sending them back to you. Before anyone comments, I also make errors but I try.

As far as text speak goes, I totally agree. It is against the rules and undesirable.

However, the thread moved on to discuss errors in spelling and grammar. Bullying may not necessarily be intended but it can still be hurtful. I can't speak for Chazz but I would have felt hurt and frustrated by some of the remarks made.

If it would help Chazz, feel free to pm me your posts and I will be happy to have a quick look before sending them back to you. Before anyone comments, I also make errors but I try.

We all make errors but we try; emphasis on the word TRY!

I think the point that the poster made was that she didn't feel that trying was worth the effort as the salongeek is really not important enough.

I understand not everyone is a perfect speller, and whether you can spell check on here or not I don't think it matters too much as I can still understand what is being said.

The thing I do agree with is not using text talk! i can understand 'LOL' and a few others but 'IMO' cant work that one out!! so yes text talk is frustrating and i usually just give up reading.

Chazz you were quite harsh with Geeg, her knowledge is invaluable, and she always dilutes rants on here, which is needed quite often i've noticed, anyway maybe she is actually the queen of spain!!

Sam x

Thanks Sam, I have broad shoulders :lol:

To my way of thinking it was just as rude for anyone to disrespect this site by saying that it wasn't worth her valuable time or her personal effort to even try to not use TEXT or the spell check. (When you think of the personal time and personal effort that so many put into helping others here on the site it is quite insulting really).

In a later post, the same poster clearly demonstrated that she can write in a more readable manner, so in that vein, let's hope it carries on.

It is also not about whether or not 'we' personally can understand misspelled words .. it is about having some respect for our other members who cannot so easily do so as English is not their native tongue (many seem to keep missing this point).

Having members from other countries enriches this site to a great degree ... long may they continue to be members. :hug:

Hello, Thank-you everyone that agreed with me in their post, And I'm sorry to all that I offended.

I did not say that this site was not important enough to use proper puntuation and spellings. Simply that most of the time when I am posting it is between treatments at work and I need a geek fix.

And I don't have time to spend 25 mins writting a post it has taken this long so far to write this cheaking my spelling, and getting someone else to help. I haven't allways got someone else around to help.

My not being able to spell well has nothing to do with my lack of intelagence. And capability to perform treatments.

The story behind my not being able to spell is a horrific one to say the least, and is not the only thing I suffer with. So I will not go into details I was not born like this. So a little respect for people who really can't help it wouldn't go a miss. It has now been 40 mins writting this post I can not do that on a
regular basis. So if my lack of spelling means people won't answer my post then it will just have to be that way. X

I know very little about learning difficulties such as dyslexia. What I have discovered is that a dyslexic's difficulties with the written word have nothing to do with their intelligence. Furthermore if their disability is such that they do not always recognise errors, how on earth are they supposed to correct them? I thought we lived in a more enlightened age.

Disability discrimination and bullying is not only socially unacceptable, it is illegal.

If this is aimed at me, then you misunderstood AND you put words into my mouth.
I am WELL aware of what Dyxlexia is, several friends have it and I understand them just fine.

And there is a DISTINCT difference between being lazy, and having dyxlexia.
In addition, Dyxlexia has nothing to do with knowing when to use capitals, periods, and new paragraphs.
Lastly, not everyone that writes poorly has Dyxlexia and I won't assume so.

And the fact remains... it's against rules.

If this is aimed at me, then you misunderstood AND you put words into my mouth.
I am WELL aware of what Dyxlexia is, several friends have it and I understand them just fine.

And there is a DISTINCT difference between being lazy, and having dyxlexia.
In addition, Dyxlexia has nothing to do with knowing when to use capitals, periods, and new paragraphs.
Lastly, not everyone that writes poorly has Dyxlexia and I won't assume so.

And the fact remains... it's against rules.

Hi just incase this post is aimed at me in any way I don't no. If it is just want to say I'm not dyxlexic. There many other reasons why people can't spell and use correct puntuation.

I, as a potential consumer/client, would NOT trust someone to provide me with services if I couldn't be certain of their level of intelligence and if they had true knowledge of what they are doing.

If I misunderstood then I apologise. I have no desire to turn this into a fight, I was merely asking for a little understanding for those who have GENUINE problems (not just dyslexia). In my opinion it is there but for the grace of God go I.

Hi just incase this post is aimed at me in any way I don't no. If it is just want to say I'm not dyxlexic. There many other reasons why people can't spell and use correct puntuation.

This is fair enough , I also suffer with short tearm memory, and one of my sons has aspergers and ADHD witch also lead towords a dyslexia type issue with his spelling, speach and punctuation but even with short tearm memory there is ways to teach your self to put things into the long tearm memory that way you will not forget when writing things like cap letters full stops and spaces between words or not to use text talk,

you can quite littraly re Train your brain with such things ! By comiting them to long tearm,
you can't expect to learn how to spell word perfect as that's anouther issue eg, I can read and see mistakes but I can't fix them , so they are long tearm just muddled. Another eg ; I always put spaces beetween the words because that's in my long tearm memory as it is yours,

This whole thread was a GENERAL comment on what is happening in GENERAL.

Obviously one makes allowances for special needs cases .. (and we have got side tracked onto special needs cases for which there really was no need and it has all got personal instead of general ... lets keep to generalities and for those who are special needs cases they really have no need to justify or even bring it up at all).

In general we have seen a massive rise in lazy text talk on this site .. the rest has all been said. All these texters are not dyslexic nor do they come into the special needs category and should comply with site rules.

Thank you from the rude, big head, up her own wotsit Queen. :lol:

May I be the first to extend the olive branch?

Latest posts

Back