Text Talk

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't read it!

I once saw a Facebook post full of 'dat', 'ne1', 'mite' etc, etc from someone a lot older than me (I am old!) and I just found it plain weird! It made me want to tell them to grow up!

U just typed 'b4' miss mod! Haha! And 'ppl' ...I'm slapping your wrist cyber stylee! ;) of course it's in good humour.. I will try my best not to shorten my words! :)

I think you can spot an accent in font now too! I'm from Yorkshire and Yorkshire slang comes out a lot by accident. Scottish and Geordie is easily spotted too! I'm the worst for typing 'u' instead of 'you' and 'ur' instead of 'your'.. I can't promise I won't still do it without realising! Eeek!

Don't go getting too paranoid on us, I can understand your posts perfectly and I think the odd word won't do any harm... I'm a great one for saying Fab and gonna, but I'm sure I'd be forgiven for the odd slip up.

Gr8nails I have a few years to go so... :lol:

Totally agree ladies! I don't understand text talk! I have a few friends that are teenagers and I have to remind them that I'm older so they write things out properly!
I once had a text containing 'gd t, wuu2?' I was like wtf?!? Haahaa! Apparently it means 'good thank you, what are you up to?'

When I text the only shortening I use is 'u' instead of you but would never do it on here for fear of you all telling me off! 

But yes all joking aside when someone writes a post with lots of text talk I do stop reading it which is a shame as I like to help where I can.
Rhiannon x

So.......you're not even 40, so....

No club membership for you!

Thank God for that... not a club I want to be in (I was so tempted to write wanna there) :lol:

I think you can spot an accent in font now too! I'm from Yorkshire and Yorkshire slang comes out a lot by accident. Scottish and Geordie is easily spotted too! I'm the worst for typing 'u' instead of 'you' and 'ur' instead of 'your'.. I can't promise I won't still do it without realising! Eeek!
Haha yeh im yorkshire aswel!xx

Sent from my X10i

Thank God for that... not a club I want to be in (I was so tempted to write wanna there) :lol:

Once again, screw you!

So.......you're not even 40, so....

No club membership for you!

And you, my lovely, look no where near in your 50's so you're not allowed membership either because we don't believe you!!!!! :smack:

i'm quite heavley dislexic thats why i use it, sorry if it offends anyone. :-\

I for one have gathered that you are dyslexic and it certainly does not offend. You can clearly tell the difference and this was never aimed at you, so don't worry and carry on as you are. x :hug: :Love:

Oh dear ladies, why are you all being SO NICE to Gr8nailz .. you know she's an evil Pinocchio person and she talks about you all when you not looking!!!!

Completely agree about Text talking.

Oh dear ladies, why are you all being SO NICE to Gr8nailz .. you know she's an evil Pinocchio person and she talks about you all when you not looking!!!!

Completely agree about Text talking.

Im beginning to see what you mean Jacqui, wondering myself if she can be trusted :confused:

Oh and Tammie, I see you say you're 50, did I mention I am 37? :lol:

May I just state this for the record?

If you are still in your 30s, you may not claim to be old and grumpy.

Those of you in your 40s, we will allow as honorary members.

I feel those of us in our 50s have earned the right to be old and grumpy!

I have an honour, oh Tammie thank you......:lol::lol::lol: *I am definitely very old and a bit grumpy and do not do text speak on Geek*

I have no problem with the occasional OMG, LOL or even WTF. But a whole post of text talk? Really? I'm a prolific texter and I don't even text like that. I use whole words when I text, so no excuses people!

Good to see I'm not the only one. I write all my text messages in full with proper grammar.I'll go back and edit messages where I've made a spelling mistake too...a tad anal but no-one can get the message wrong or misinterpret it when typed out in full.

I'm another who doesn't bother to read posts that I need to decipher.

I am aware that we have a lot of new Geeks most of whom are joining our Community from their phones, and therefore, out of habit are using text talk !

Although not officially against the rules (yet!) it is considered to be very rude on here.

We are a Global Community and there are a lot of geeks for whom English is a second language, also geeks who are dyslexic, and they can struggle to read posts anyway, but ones with text talk will be virtually impossible to understand. :confused:
Some geeks like me are also too damn old and grumpy :irked: to be bothered deciphering it, and ignore some threads altogether because of it.

These geeks have a lot of experience and knowledge to offer, so help them to help you, by using plain English please.

Please note that this thread is exclusively about text talk, not spelling or grammar as that has been done to death, and is to help our newbie geeks to understand why text talk can be a hinderance on here.

I'm not sure if I am a guilty geek :( but if I am I should know better as I am dyslexic so most post's I have to read twice :(

This is funny. It made me LAUGH OUT LOUD!

What about defo? Is that not allowed either? That's my fave. Oops is fave allowed haha?

Hey - remember FINITE....add a de at the beginning and ly at the end....no more spelling problems!

And you, my lovely, look no where near in your 50's so you're not allowed membership either because we don't believe you!!!!! :smack:

How dare you call me a liar!

Evil Infidel Cow!

Im beginning to see what you mean Jacqui, wondering myself if she can be trusted :confused:

Shut your cake hole!

I have an honour, oh Tammie thank you......:lol::lol::lol: *I am definitely very old and a bit grumpy and do not do text speak on Geek*

You are lovely!

Latest posts

Back