Text Talk

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I am aware that we have a lot of new Geeks most of whom are joining our Community from their phones, and therefore, out of habit are using text talk !

Although not officially against the rules (yet!) it is considered to be very rude on here.

We are a Global Community and there are a lot of geeks for whom English is a second language, also geeks who are dyslexic, and they can struggle to read posts anyway, but ones with text talk will be virtually impossible to understand. :confused:
Some geeks like me are also too damn old and grumpy :irked: to be bothered deciphering it, and ignore some threads altogether because of it.

These geeks have a lot of experience and knowledge to offer, so help them to help you, by using plain English please.

Please note that this thread is exclusively about text talk, not spelling or grammar as that has been done to death, and is to help our newbie geeks to understand why text talk can be a hinderance on here.

I am aware that we have a lot of new Geeks most of whom are joining our Community from their phones, and therefore, out of habit are using text talk !

Although not officially against the rules (yet!) it is considered to be very rude on here.

We are a Global Community and there are a lot of geeks for whom English is a second language, also geeks who are dyslexic, and they can struggle to read posts anyway, but ones with text talk will be virtually impossible to understand. :confused:
Some geeks like me are also too damn old and grumpy :irked: to be bothered deciphering it, and ignore some threads altogether because of it.

These geeks have a lot of experience and knowledge to offer, so help them to help you, by using plain English please.

Please note that this thread is exclusively about text talk, not spelling or grammar as that has been done to death, and is to help our newbie geeks to understand why text talk can be a hinderance on here.

Hi I am new here I just read this and wonder if I had any text talk posts as it is a bit of a bad habit. So if I do I apologise and I will try to remember not to use it in future. :)

I completely agree I'm guilty of it all the time but the reason I do do it most of the time is coz I can't spell not coz of laziness or anything lol

I'm with you, Izzi...I'm too old and grumpy. Geez...I have to really STUDY; can ne1 help... to figure out what the heck ne1 means... :eek:

Hi I am new here I just read this and wonder if I had any text talk posts as it is a bit of a bad habit. So if I do I apologise and I will try to remember not to use it in future. :)

There is always the edit button on your posts that you can use to go back in and translate it back into English. ;)

Speaking of which, a wise geek once posted about text talk......try putting your text talk phrase into a English to French translation search, then back from the French into English and see the results you get. Then you will see how difficult it must be for our non English geeks !!

Thanks Izzi!

Yup, the moment I see text talk, I move on to the next thread.
I am familiar with it, but not to any great extent and frankly, I'm not interested in the chore of 'code breaking' to decipher the posts.

Respect me by writing properly, and I'll respect you by reading your post.

Thanks ;-)

Thanks Izzi!

Yup, the moment I see text talk, I move on to the next thread.
I am familiar with it, but not to any great extent and frankly, I'm not interested in the chore of 'code breaking' to decipher the posts.

Respect me by writing properly, and I'll respect you by reading your post.

Thanks ;-)

Amen to that! :)

I'm an oldie, too, and must admit to immediately closing out of a thread that is littered with text talk. When I have to refer to a text speak dictionary in order to decipher a post/thread, it's just not worth my time.

I have no problem with the occasional OMG, LOL or even WTF. But a whole post of text talk? Really? I'm a prolific texter and I don't even text like that. I use whole words when I text, so no excuses people!

And for those of you who cannot spell, don't feel bad. There are tons of us who are poor spellers. That's why there is the spell check box in the right corner. It's there to assist you.

I'm an oldie, too, and must admit to immediately closing out of a thread that is littered with text talk. When I have to refer to a text speak dictionary in order to decipher a post/thread, it's just not worth my time.

I have no problem with the occasional OMG, LOL or even WTF. But a whole post of text talk? Really? I'm a prolific texter and I don't even text like that. I use whole words when I text, so no excuses people!

And for those of you who cannot spell, don't feel bad. There are tons of us who are poor spellers. That's why there is the spell check box in the right corner. It's there to assist you.

Where is the spell check thingy I never knew there was one I'm on an iPad though not a computer does that Matter this could be my saving grace lol

In the reply box on the right hand corner there is a tick with an abc above it...that is for spellcheck. I am sure there will be some sort of ipad app for spelling too if that doesn't work.

But this thread is not about spelling ;)

In the reply box on the right hand corner there is a tick with an abc above it...that is for spellcheck. I am sure there will be some sort of ipad app for spelling too if that doesn't work.

Ta for that.if the reason for you text talking is coz you can't spell surely that counts :lol:

Sorry, Izzi. That's my fault.

Ta for that.if the reason for you text talking is coz you can't spell surely that counts :lol:

Trust me, you don't want to get this lot all going on about spelling and grammar...war breaks out !! :rolleyes:

I resisted the urge before with your first post, but I have to correct you here ... it is because not coz !!

..........see what I mean that is what happens, and then we all need to dive for cover !! thankfully I think you can take it lol ;)

Trust me, you don't want to get this lot all going on about spelling and grammar...war breaks out !! :rolleyes:

I resisted the urge before with your first post, but I have to correct you here ... it is because not coz !!

..........see what I mean that is what happens, and then we all need to dive for cover !! thankfully I think you can take it lol ;)

Ha ha I wrote coz because I couldn't spell it but I've just copied yours lol.I can take it lol dosnt bother me.if someone can't spell they can't spell laugh out loud thought I had better right that instead of lol.Anyway when I start my course I'll be able to spell and shock you all :lol:;)

I know I'm getting old because I just can't understand text talk!

I can skim though a LOT if posts and answer quickly, but as soon as I come to one that has text speak, I stop right in my tracks... I simply can't read it (well I could if I sat there for a few minutes and tried, but why should I?)

Yep, I'm old and grumpy too, what can I say and look at me, I'm still in nappies!! :lol:

Do you know, I hate text talk so much, that I don't even do it when I text, so please please have a little consideration for us Geeks that are not teenagers.

Remember, Mobile phones weren't even invented back in the olden days when I was young! :lol:

I'm only 38 and feel ancient now :sad:

Do you know, I hate text talk so much, that I don't even do it when I text, so please please have a little consideration for us Geeks that are not teenagers.

Remember, Mobile phones weren't even invented back in the olden days when I was young! :lol:

I'm only 38 and feel ancient now :sad:

I am literally LMAO as when I text, my typing is gramatically correct, too.

If you think 38 is old, wait til you're MY AGE! :eek:

Cannot bare text talk either, I have even gone as far as hiding people on my friends list on Facebook because I can't stand to sit and read their text talk status updates. Proper use of English is so important, especially on a forum where people all over the world are reading these threads to try and gain knowledge and help, no help whatsoever if they can't read it. So I agree, think the rules on this should be a bit tougher, like gr8nailz said, a Lol, LMAO etc now and then is fine, I do that myself but I can't be doing with ne one ne more n all dat! :irked:

Actually, I have now got the giggles about gr8nailz'z name!! :D :D

Latest posts

Back