Weird white line under acrylic smile line

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlo1974

Reaction score
Hi ladies, i have a quick question. I have weird white area just below the smile line of my acrylic nails. They looked perfect yesterday but when i woke up today it is on most of my nails, any ideas ladies x

How long have they been on? Is it the regrowth of the free edge of the natural nail?
Claire

Its only one day, i put a picture of them as my profile picture :-(

Have you used white tips or natural tips with white acrylic?
I'm only on my phone so it's very difficult to see as picture won't enlarge.
Claire

Pearl tips with clear pink acyrlic, i am not sure how to attach a picture. Jackie

I can't really see the picture either, but it could either be nail damage from over - zealous filing or it could possibly be the adhesive that you used that has seeped out from under the tips and onto the nail plate.

Thank you for advice ladies :)

Did you have product on before this set?
If so, maybe the old product has not been filed off/blended perfectly, so the line you are seeing is the old product.
x

No my nails were clean and prepared, i think maybe its nail damage from old set, i will see what happens over the next couple of days :)

It almost looks like damage to nail plate, have you bashed your nails in anyway so the tips applied then put pressure and pulled at the nail bed leaving bruising? I know I have wacked mine before on car etc thought they were going to rip off...or agree maybe resin seemed down...odd!

Sent from my LG-P970 using SalonGeek

No i didnt bang them either :-(

Do your, or did your nails, feel a little tender for a few hours the next day?

Sometimes if you work with too wet a mix ratio with a product that has more shrinkage than others, the shrinkage of the product on polymerisation, can pinch and put pressure on the nail plate at the stress area particularly if the tip is angled more sharply than the natural nail, or if there is too much product at the apex of the nail in zone 2. This can result in the nail looking white in that area.

Sometimes if you work with too wet a mix ratio with a product that has more shrinkage than others, the shrinkage of the product on polymerisation, can pinch and put pressure on the nail plate at the stress area particularly if the tip is angled more sharply than the natural nail, or if there is too much product at the apex of the nail in zone 2. This can result in the nail looking white in that area.

How long does that take to go? Does it fade or grow out?

Sounds like to me that it is the tips. Maybe u didnt blend them enough, or could be that the tips havent adhered properly so they r starting to lift off. Hth. Ax

I did not know that. Good to know!

I did not know that. Good to know!

It is not really a problem seen by many experienced nail technicians because they tend to be working with the right mix ratio. Many students also start with poor quality products that may have more shrinkage on curing than better quality products .

That line does not look like an un-blended tip to me; an un-blended tip would have shown up well before product application and not 24 hours later! It takes more than 24 hours for product to cure ... Gripping tighter all the time ... It is the normal time for something like that line to show up if caused by pressure on the plate.

As to how long it shows I couldn't say. Depends on what is causing it. If it is pressure, then that will be accompanied with some tenderness for 24 hours and with growth the pressure will move off that area of the plate.

Last edited:
No its not an unblended tip, as my tip starts at the smile line and i use entity products, which i believe are pretty good. I have soaked one off and i see now that it is stress to the nail bed but i dont understand why when i did my nails it didnt show until the next day

No its not an unblended tip, as my tip starts at the smile line and i use entity products, which i believe are pretty good. I have soaked one off and i see now that it is stress to the nail bed but i dont understand why when i did my nails it didnt show until the next day

The curing process continues for 24 hours and if your mix was off/wet the then their may be excessive shrinkage over this period of time, which has caused this pressure on the nails showing up as this white mark.
Also more likely if your natural nails are already in a weakened state.

Going on what Gigi had informed everyone I'm assuming that it is because it takes, I believe, (and don't quote me on this) 24 hours or more for acrylic to completely set. So that is probably why it took that amount of time for the shrinkage to be extreme enough in order to cause this problem. But I'm sure Gigi could answer this question better than I. :)

I answered this question in post number 16, then Izzy answered it and now unique tips has answered it ... so you should have the info you need in those 3 posts.

Latest posts

Back