What Do You Make?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHat do you make a month as a nail tech before tax?

• £0 - £100

Votes: 132 34.0%
  • £200-£500

Votes: 118 30.4%
  • £600-£900

Votes: 52 13.4%
  • £1000 +

Votes: 86 22.2%

• Total voters
GreekNails said:
Great Thread, but maybe should have been rated to say "how many happy clients do you get a month".

Salary and wage is relative, and depends on market forces, location, prices, what clients are willing to pay, competition, ability to sell retail products, and level of comptetence (eg top nail techs saying "POA").

Our skills are there to make great nails and have happy clients, not about level of income (which is interesting but of little comparison worldwide or even within the UK).

Lets keep focused on happy clients and great nails, and yes get those chips of the shoulders and deep fry them (well said Sandi).

Eva

i agree...that might have been better in judging just how well we are doing....i charge 35 a new set and some charge 55....but i may have more clients that them...so who is more sucessful...?????

OOps I ticked the wrong box - didn't read the instructions first! I ticked the last one, but due to heavy investment in expensive beauty equipment I'm probably the same as Jen - ie in the minus! One of these days I'll stop investing and start earning lol!

I ticked the 2nd highest but intend on having a lot of expenses this year. Taking on new facial range, getting serious with retail, want a new makeup range & have a list of courses I want to do, so by the end of the year I'll be poor.
I also get my hair cut & coloured once a month. lol.

Ive voted £1000, i am employed by a salon and this is what my wages are a month after tax. Dont think i would make this if i was self employed.

I ticked £600-£900. After tax and expenses, I think I am about £200 per week. Not great but hopefully will get better as there are so many overheads in establishing/promoting yourself when you start out.

Its hard for me to say what I earn currently as I am spending out alot on training and supplies, business cards, equipment, set up at home (table, lamp, storage etc).
I do, however, have 3 regular very happy clients for nails with the odd other here and there plus I am building up my tanning clients now too :green:
I am starting back at work part time from May but hope that after 3 months can jack that in and do just my nails and tans.

I ticked £1000 + as if it were any less I would lose my boyfriend :lol:

xxxx

Nail FX said:
I've not ticked anything as there isn't a tick box for a -£ .... :(

I am right up there with you Jen - my accountant keeps telling me 'you need to do better' - felt like I was before the Headmaster!!!!!:rolleyes:

Oh well - maybe one day.....good to see some are raking it in though - it gives me hope!:)

Love Scooby x

GreekNails said:
Great Thread, but maybe should have been rated to say "how many happy clients do you get a month".

Salary and wage is relative, and depends on market forces, location, prices, what clients are willing to pay, competition, ability to sell retail products, and level of comptetence (eg top nail techs saying "POA").

Our skills are there to make great nails and have happy clients, not about level of income (which is interesting but of little comparison worldwide or even within the UK).
Eva

Yup, as I'm in Montreal Quebec Canada, my wage wouldn't make sense to you guys/gals much.
But, suffice it to say, I'm doing very well now.
I work part time , I guess?
My hours are 6 to 10pm, Monday thru Sunday night. So, I'm open for business 35hrs (ok, maybe not as part time as I thought? gee, this is giving me food for thought lol didn't realize I did that many hours till just now haha)
Anyway, these days, I'm booked for an average of 4 full nights a week, with the other three half booked or open. It varies week to week. This week I work full every night except one. Last weeek, was every single night....

I'm adding Fridays 10am to 3pm to my hours.

Anyway, I'm happy with my current income. I feel that I'm successful, particularly since my client base is growing even still. I even upped my prices a smidge and everyone's still happy.
Last week alone, 3 new clients. So, it's all good.

My timing is still umm slow? BUT clients appreciate that I take the time to do things properly as opposed to rushing them and taking shortcuts like the local NSS do. They like that I dont hurt them and that their nails are as clear as glass and stay shiney. etc etc..

So, I guess it's all good.
Sorry for rambling..it's early in the morning, and haven't finished my java yet.:lol:

FlybyNight said:
I am so glad that I am not the only one whose hubby is always asking me when I am going to start bringing in some cash!!! Good luck everyone, we all have to begin somewhere.

Yeh Know what you mean lol, I ticked the £0-100 option but really its more minus than plus lol!! Not doing it full-time, just the odd client till i set up fully, hopefully soon!! Like to spend though thats my problem!! Just bought a nail drill / e-file today!!:eek: :) :lol:

I put 1000+

but this is as a beauty therapist and nail technician. waxing adds on a huge amount to my takings! just today i had a woman come in as i was finishing for the day, she wanted a honeymoon bikini wax, that was £17 quid added onto my day and i only had to stay 20 minutes extra!

My average earnings are approx £650 a week. sometmes more sometimes less. Take about £150 a month for topping up my stock, and then tax, and then £500 rent a month. Im doin ok in the new salon.

In my old one well, i was earnig alot less!!!

x

Cec said:
Hi Kimmi.

Great thread!

I "ticked" 1000 or more.

Is it you income which decide if you are proffessional or not?

Cec.
some peeps only do 2 days a week for example..... are they not proffessional then if they only earn £500.00 p m then? :smack:

i am well into the minus bracket :eek: , i spent £3000 last year on courses and stock etc and i never made anything near that !!!
am dreading filling in my tax coz i am sure they will think i am lying that i havent hardly worked :eek:

I have no idea yet how much i will make, but im sure i will do this for a living, and opening a beautysalon ASAP (found a salon ((a place/boutique to rent)) today! So things will be busy from now, and im so exited!) So i hope nails will be a big part of the income, because i just love doing nails! :green:

My salon is nearly in its second year, and god do i work hard! Its paying off though, as i now have myself and business partner, a part timer and and a full timer. Both myself and bus partner pay each other £150 week each, which is actually less than we pay our full timer! But by the time we have paid off our loans, things will be much better then. Im constantly buying stock, and furniture etc, so once thats all up to date, then there may be more money for me!! I dont mind, its more than others earn, and at the end of the day, its my business and my baby!!

Sorry, can't vote as I can't just call myself a nail tech anymore....but I gotta say how FANTASTIC to have you back Kimmi...bring on the debates!

its pretty much £0 for me :confused:
workwise I'm having a few false starts and learning experiences at the moment, but I dont feel too despondent, I know that when my trainings up to scratch and the youngest is packed off to school (September!!!:green: :cry: :!: ) I'll get things moving!
As Jac said in an earlier post, can we do this poll again in a years time?
I hope that I'll have some income to report!

RuthW said:
its pretty much £0 for me :confused:
workwise I'm having a few false starts and learning experiences at the moment, but I dont feel too despondent, I know that when my trainings up to scratch and the youngest is packed off to school (September!!!:green: :cry: :!: ) I'll get things moving!
As Jac said in an earlier post, can we do this poll again in a years time?
I hope that I'll have some income to report!

It's so hard starting up, particularly when you have little ones. I KNOW. I have a 2 & 4yr old, both girls. They keep me HOPPING.
And the learning curve is what it is.. each at our own pace.
BUT it WILL come, and you'll be a happy lil bug in a rug:hug:

Hang in there Ruth. It took me a year exactly to get to this point.. and you will too.
HUGS

Awww, thanks Victoria! :hug: :hug:

I ticked the first one.

I only work part time as I need the money from my day job but I leave there at xmas so then I will be free to work in the wonderfull world of nails full time! yippee!!!

I haven't been taking on that many clients just yet due to illness but am getting better! :)

xxxx

Latest posts

Back