What Do You Make?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHat do you make a month as a nail tech before tax?

• £0 - £100

Votes: 132 34.0%
  • £200-£500

Votes: 118 30.4%
  • £600-£900

Votes: 52 13.4%
  • £1000 +

Votes: 86 22.2%

• Total voters

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
In relation to the thread that's running on salons closing down, I thought this poll would be a good idea to gauge who's making a living and who's not out of being a nail tech. This isn't to stir things up, I think it's a brilliant opportunity to learn from those that are making a good wage, to share some of their expertise with us all.

Please take part and please be honest..........I'm assuming that it's private in that nobody can tell who ticked what box.

So here goes: Before tax, and after all your overheads, rent, stock, etc, how much do you make a month on average?

£1.000 i wish

Cec said:
Hi Kimmi.

Great thread!

I "ticked" 1000 or more.

Is it you income which decide if you are proffessional or not?

Cec.
Definately not. That simply shows how successful you are at what you do. xx

Cec said:
I "ticked" 1000 or more.

Is it you income which decide if you are proffessional or not?

for goodness sake...... take that chip off your shoulder and deep fry it.

professionalism isn't about how much money you have in the kitty...
it's about the standards you have, the methods you use etc etc

I ticked the £1000 and more......

Hiya

I ticked £200 - £500, but this is an average as a part-time tech. I guess that is working approx 10 hours a week on top of my full time job and is profit including retail sales of nail related products (but not tanning)! I run a home salon, so its a bit difficult to gauge exact overheads (ie heating, electricity etc come under household bills)

I've had months where I have made more, but they've killed me hours wise!!! And lazy ones where Ive made less (Jan / Feb time) Roll on the day when I can do it full time though...that'll be an interesting answer!

i also ticked £1000 or more...

i ticked 600 quid plus a month!!!! i am employed part time and im a professional

i ticked £200to£500 because im honest .

I've not ticked anything as there isn't a tick box for a -£ .... :(

MINKUS said:
hmmmm i dont want to answer....just to say im a happy bunny with my earnings:green:
Amb...........the poll is anon. Nobody can tell if and what you voted.

Cec said:
I really don't understand what you meant with that (because of my English), but for me it seams like I should be offended of it??? This msg. made me remember why I don't want to use so much time here anymore.

Cec.
Let's keep to the subject eh? This is great thread and it would be a shame to have it closed.

I earn the in the last bracket, but actually didn't take a pay at all for the first year, and then only £100 per month for the second year, and that was working full time doing nails.... All that work had to pay for the salon!!

Sue x

I had to tick the second box, I didnt want to, but I spend so much money on stock and training (does that count Kimmi) oh then there was competing and the cost of staying in london for two nights (twice) and treating my model hmmm, prob should have ticked the first one.:rolleyes:

Its taken me this first year on my own after leaving the salon, to get set up at home, but I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, so please can we do this poll again in a years time and maybe I will be ticking a better box:) oh and kimmi what about you!!

Nail FX said:
I've not ticked anything as there isn't a tick box for a -£ .... :(

Im with you Jen love, my husbad moans all the time, but I am in my first year and only work part time around my children but I still am very professional although I done make any money as yet.

I am so glad that I am not the only one whose hubby is always asking me when I am going to start bringing in some cash!!! Good luck everyone, we all have to begin somewhere.

Great Thread, but maybe should have been rated to say "how many happy clients do you get a month".

Salary and wage is relative, and depends on market forces, location, prices, what clients are willing to pay, competition, ability to sell retail products, and level of comptetence (eg top nail techs saying "POA").

Our skills are there to make great nails and have happy clients, not about level of income (which is interesting but of little comparison worldwide or even within the UK).

Lets keep focused on happy clients and great nails, and yes get those chips of the shoulders and deep fry them (well said Sandi).

Eva

Just a further thought to this thread.....................

I'm paid with a huge bag of fresh oranges and vegetables by one of my monthly clients!

Which box do I tick?

Eva

GreekNails said:
Just a further thought to this thread.....................

I'm paid with a huge bag of fresh oranges and vegetables by one of my monthly clients!

Which box do I tick?

Eva
ahh how nice:) I sometimes do a swap with my hairdresser and my friend who is a cleaner. love the old barter system,

Latest posts

Back