What Do You Make?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHat do you make a month as a nail tech before tax?

• £0 - £100

Votes: 132 34.0%
  • £200-£500

Votes: 118 30.4%
  • £600-£900

Votes: 52 13.4%
  • £1000 +

Votes: 86 22.2%

• Total voters
ZOE! said:
Ive voted £1000, i am employed by a salon and this is what my wages are a month after tax. Dont think i would make this if i was self employed.

Corrrr.....I'm moving to Scotland, any jobs going??

I ticked the second box, not really thinking about all the debt I'm in because of my new found career!!! I can only hope that one day I'll be ticking the last box.........then again, I'll probably be drawing my pension by then lol!!

Hayley

kay welch said:
i ticked £200to£500 because im honest .

Hi Kay

You'll be ticking £1000 + soon...... a great nail tech in the making...... as soon as you gain your confidence nothing will stop you.

If you're mobile, with few overheads all you need is an average of 10 rebalances a week @ £25. That's without counting retail and full sets.

i have voted £200-£500 as part time. Sometimes you can make more in certain months than others. This also depends what area you live in and how much you charge. There are alot of NSS bars in my area and no one whats a mobile tech but i am picking up customers now due to the NSS making so many mistakes.

It's all down to advertising your business as well. Some months i don't even earn near to £200 that's why i only do it part time. I have another job Childminding which certainly does pay the bills.

This year I've made a loss, because of all the training costs and equiptment and I plan on doing the same next year, I plan on some heavy investment in airbrush and tanning equiptment as well as my master classes, then year 3 I'll see what I can do about breaking even:green:.

I will be ticking that last box soon I hope - thats what am working
towards!

So far nearly 50% of those who took part in the thread ticked £0-£100. Would be really interesting to know the reasons behind this - whether they're training, not enough clients, still buying stock or? ....

I voted 0-£100, this is a)because im honest and b) Ill tell you the reasons for this ... one im training, so im mostly on the nail trainer - and unfortunately she hasnt got a bank account *lol* I do my mum, aunties and friends nails, and they insist on giving me a tenner but i dont ask. I wouldnt charge for work that I might not be happy to pay for myself. I am doing some excellent "free" work but this is leading to good things as people in my mums / aunties work have asked "who does your nails they are really nice" and once I feel I am in the position to start charging I will have them as a client base.

Im not in this for money anyway, i earn my money in my crapsville job as a PA and practise practise and practise the nails in my spare time by the time im in a position to go at least part time ill be at least £1000 down on training, materials - and let me tell you, this is literally "the basics" there will be lots more to spend in the future. I dont want to kid anybody that is thinking of going into this career that its a)easy or b)inexpensive - xxxx

Hope this is the kinda thing you wanted ! Lucy x

Cec said:
I really don't understand what you meant with that (because of my English), but for me it seams like I should be offended of it??? This msg. made me remember why I don't want to use so much time here anymore.

Cec.
don't feel that way i'm from the states and are times I'm totally confussed

what is a tick

I ticked 0 - 100 as I am still training and like Louchia I am minus money after training and products! I still work full time in the office so thats not that much of a problem and I hope to be making money soon! So maybe the people that have ticked that box are in a similar situation. :hug:

Couldn't tick any I'm afraid because I am a beauty therapist qualified in nail extensions BUT on average after costs my monthly income as a nail tech would be £100!

Doing Fab................at mo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all changes like the wind!!!!!!!! ticked max

I am with my best friend who has been doing nails since 1991. She has her own place in Leeds with tables that she rents to others but she has them all using the same product line to kepp the salon environment and standards consistent. She makes - WITH RETAIL - just under £1000.00 PER WEEK. Thats full list everyday Tuesday - Sat but closed Sunday & Monday. Hope this boosts peoples confidence... she does more rebalances than full sets but she retails out the ying yang... it can make a huge difffrence!:)

Mrs Geek said:
I am with my best friend who has been doing nails since 1991. She has her own place in Leeds with tables that she rents to others but she has them all using the same product line to kepp the salon environment and standards consistent. She makes - WITH RETAIL - just under £1000.00 PER WEEK. Thats full list everyday Tuesday - Sat but closed Sunday & Monday. Hope this boosts peoples confidence... she does more rebalances than full sets but she retails out the ying yang... it can make a huge difffrence!:)

wowza !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats retails out the ying yang mean...(the items she retails to clients make up for the difference between price of a new set and rebalance)..:cry: have i had too much wine?

ambxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I earn anything between £1000 and £1600 a month but it is my full time job. I work from home so i dont have alot of overheads.

I had to get out my currency converter before I could definitively check the last box. :) That's all before taxes and expenses, of course, but I'm living off of what I earn. Yay! It's only taken seven flippin' years!

I make between 700-750 a week.Working Tue-Sat, fully booked every day.Not accepting new clients ,almost all standing appointments.This is before taxes and expenses.I have home based salon and low overhead.Retailing will bring this amount even higher.This amount is just for services.

i have 3 nail stations on the go in my salon from tue to sat, closed sunday and mondays. we also do beauty treatments which includes waxing, tinting and pedicures. i have one sunbed also, which is not very busy at the moment, but will be in spring/summer.
the 3 nail stations are always busy, mostly infills with me and one of my staff. just taken on 3rd member to carry load of manicures and pedicures, also new sets of enhancements (unless new clients ask for me-i charge more and have to work over to fit them in).
we all work with the same products and work at the same pace, apart from me, im a little quicker.
on an average week, the salon takes £1700-£2000 on treatments alone.
i dont really make on retail...only creative's solar oil/butter/silk products and sentsations. gold nails are popular but are only ordered on deposits made.
sunbed acelorator creams in sachets are agood retail too...again only in spring/summer for pre-hols tans.
we all work really hard and staff do work 38hr/4.5day week. i work 55+ hrs in 5 day week. my staff are paid very well for their hard work and dedication and keep the salons reputation going from strength to strength.
we have never been so busy....2 years ago, i would never of thought, i'd be where i am now....its flew by and im proud of what ive achieved....its not impossible....just be determined to work hard and your rewards will bloom. JUST DON'T GIVE UP!!

Wow, it's great for me to hear the good news stories of salons a couple of years in....I've only been open 5 weeks and am averaging £500 per week at the moment but still have plenty of free appointments in the earlier part of the week (only open until 5pm due to family commitments but do evenings by appointment). My medium term goal is to turn over £1000 per week, which I think will put the 2 of us at saturation point so then will have to think about either renting out space or taking on an employee....I'd love to take on a trainee nail technician...a geek in the making...and pass on everything I've learned. Just wait until my daughter is old enough to manage a couple of Nail-Spa salons from my chain! lol!

at the min, ive taken nothing from my salon, money's gone straight back into the business! last week id a £600 rates bill to pay, this weeks a sunbed deposit and after that more training! after that i want to get a bit of money gathered up in the bank in case of emergencies. this wk did well but next wks dead! i dont want to take a wage till i can have a wider pic of thetakings, say in a yr or sometihng

im glad u asked this question because it is something i have been wondering myself, i ticked the £1000 + box but i need to make much more as this is what i do full time. I really wonder if there are self employed nail techs that are making lots more than this and how they do it??

Abinails xxx

Latest posts

Back